• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cam75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone watch the show the "Best Defense" on the Outdoor channel?

They show scenarios of violent crimes and how you should respond with defense tips using knives/handguns.

Ive been watching it lately, and find it pretty interesting as I have no training.

Is some/all/none of it good info?

I'd like to take some classes in the future.

What do other people think?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Poses interesting questions, however they overly script things, and use actors so they have their magic bullet solution that works 100% of the time. Think about the situations they present, think of multiple ways to handle it; but do yourself a favor and use it as incentive to seek out proper training and not just what can be crammed into a 5min TV segment put into a 20min TV show to air 10min of commercials, it's likely less effective than learning on youtube; go out and get the proper training (not youtube!) and read books that aren't working so hard to make sales for the sponsoring gun company of the week, to reel in perspective from several different trainers and schools of thought.:twocents:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    There is a lot of opinion that flies around when it comes to self defense training and tactics.
    Best Defense is no different in that regard. But that being said, it does make you think. I feel like that is half the battle, just getting people to think. If you take the next step and decide to integrate something into your "SD plan" (for lack of a better term) seek proper training.

Shows like Best Defense is at best a "sampler platter" of training that has been brought to you by the marketing genius of Larry Potterfield. I guess I'm saying is free advise is usually worth every penny of what you paid for it.

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    go out and get the proper training (not youtube!) and read books that aren't working so hard to make sales for the sponsoring gun company of the week, to reel in perspective from several different trainers and schools of thought.:twocents:

Even the people that give so called proper training are doing it to make money, just because it is a tv show does not mean that the info provided is bad, doesn't mean it is good either. What I take out of it the most is be aware of your surroundings!

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    In my opinion - the hand to hand tips could be very dangerous without alot more training
    but a good show none the less

If you need these hand to hand tips, you are already in danger. If you notice they always reccomend avoiding them if at all possible, better to have some knowledge that gives you a chance at survival then to have none that gives you no chance!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I like the show. As others have stated, it's not the same as hands-on training, but they do a good job demonstrating issues around personal defense. There's a few others out there too on the dish that are pretty decent.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    If you need these hand to hand tips, you are already in danger. If you notice they always reccomend avoiding them if at all possible, better to have some knowledge that gives you a chance at survival then to have none that gives you no chance!

Good point.....I'll concede but focus on being discerning

Top Bottom