• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    After we settle this, can we discuss which brand of pickup truck is the best?

See, now that helps illustrate just how absurd the current rifle regulations are! A truck is a truck and a deer gun is a deer gun, right? Pick one ya like and go get the job done.

Except, Indiana currently doesn't allow the use of full-sized, V8, 3/4 ton, 4-wheel drive pickups...we have to use scaled down models with smaller engines that get good mileage.

I don't know, it was a lame attempt at extending your metaphor. I hope the regs are updated to allow normal deer cartridges; more freedoms and less regulations are always preferable to the alternative.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm buying a .243, but that's more because I want a .243, not because it's the finest deer round ever. I think it's more than adequate though. Of course I'd also like to have everything else mentioned in this thread. If you all could donate some rifles for my research I could be convinced to try them all out ;)

sapper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse
    Most likely .308 here . I've been contplating assembling a 6.8 or 6.5 for deer season if it goes through. I'm crossing my fingers

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    No information was given on where you are going to hunt. Are you hunting over a bean field? Are you hunting in the woods? Do you plan to do both? If all your shots are going to be under 100 yards you don't need the same rifle that you would need for shots over 200 yards.

For me and my old eyes the longest shot I would be willing to take is 300 yards. So I went with a round that would get me there with at least 1000 pounds of energy. The round that I chose will drive a 200 gr 358 bullet at 2450 F.P.S. giving it 1026 F.P.E. at 350 yards.

That is all the power I need to hunt the game and distances I will shoot at. I started using this round in Kentucky when I was a young man and have never had to track a deer when hit with this round. I am talking about the 358 Winchester. Indiana has its own version of the round. It is the 358 Hoosier. It can deliver the same specks as the Winchester round.

The only problem with the Hoosier is you have to have the rifle built for the round because the big Co. don't chamber a rifle in that round.

Is the 358 Winchester the end all deer round. No way no how. It just works for me. Some will not like the recoil from it. Some will find the prices of factory ammo way to pricy. One more reason I reload.

As stated by others above there is no such thing as the do all be all deer round. The round that has taken more deer than any other is the old 30/30 round. Still a lot of people using it and they see no reason to change.

What I am trying to say is pick a round that will shoot at your max distance you will shoot at and has the recoil that you can handle. Nothing will put people off on a round faster than bad recoil. Good luck on what ever you decide.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    As I already have a hunting ar in .458 socom I might just go and put a 6.5 Grendel upper on it. And I know the 458 socom is not the best deer cartridge around but it works well with a trajectory similar to my muzzle loader with a 150 grain charge.
    If the laws change and I feel the need for more reach I can grab my .300 win mag or 25-06 bolt guns but for a 25-300 yard gun that has semi auto capability I am thinking my Springfield Socom 16 might finally have a true purpose.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom