• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Title says it all, what do you all think is the best BBQ place in the Indy area?

I have a buddy coming over from Germany in a few weeks and he loves anything bbq, so gotta find a good ppace to go! Thanks for any input!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My kneejerk reaction is GT South's.

But one can find tasty BBQ at more and more places nowadays. But pay more than GTs, and likely get a bit more covering up with sauce instead of tasting good, slow smoked meats.

I like Smokey Bones for atmosphere and other foods, too.

Famous Daves ain't bad. That place in Broad Ripple was okay, near Monon trail.

Also, Texas Roadhouse has some very nice, consistent ribs. But not other bbq.

Again, do you want atmosphere and attitude or plain, simple smoked meats for a decent price?

I have not been, but the Smokehouse on Shelby adds a bar and bowling to the equation, too. A bit more to 'show' a visitor, perhaps? Smokehouse on Shelbyhttp://www.fountainsquareindy.com/

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Can't go wrong with GT South but there are many rib joints in Indy now you should be able to find one just about on any side of town.

D.B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Avon
    Judge's BBQ on Michigan St. Very nice guy, used to have a place in the city market. His place is ultra clean and he cooks old school bbq. in a smoke box out back.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Famous Daves ain't bad. That place in Broad Ripple was okay, near Monon trail.

Also, Texas Roadhouse has some very nice, consistent ribs. But not other bbq.

I agree with these points of Boilers' post here, "that place in Broad Ripple" is Hoghead's BBQ, right next door to the Broad Ripple Brew Pub. They're not bad at all.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Judge's BBQ on Michigan St. Very nice guy, used to have a place in the city market. His place is ultra clean and he cooks old school bbq. in a smoke box out back.

plusone1.gif

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There used to be a place in Muncie called Big Bone Lick that was awesome. I lived in Detroit at the time, so I only got to go a couple of times. They had some fantastic BBQ.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    in my professional opinion:rolleyes: I'm partial to squealers, I just love the BBQ nachos.

I think along with plenty of my friends that Squealers is absolutely the worst rib place around. I quite eating there after getting ribs under cooked 3 straight times, the last time the fat was even uncooked. The waitress replied "Oh that's the way smoked ribs are supposed to look" I handed the plate back to her as I was getting up to leave and said " Oh I guess the ice cold bones and the totally pink meat means nothing, ever hear of a meat thermometer?" Threw money down to cover the bill and headed for the door.

Manager chased me out the door as I was leaving apologizing the whole way, telling me let him take care of it. Told him to never mind, that they had lost my and the 8 people who was with me business for ever and that I was not going to deal with uncooked food, and if it had happened to me three straight times, how many times has it happened to other people.

I'm big fan of Famous Dave's, tried Smokey Bones once and was not impressed, Texas Road House at times has some really great ribs, but most times are just average. Chili's ribs suck, period.

I used to love going to the Rib fest until it really became Rib-BAND-fest and became prohibitive to try and sample all the tents.

Would love for the days of Best Ribs award and 15-20 cookers vying for the trophy and business instead of just being a side note to the bands.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I went to the ribfest in Indy once and it will be the last time. We went specifically to see the music and paid for good seats. Idiots from the back came to the front of the stage and we couldn't see the show. It took several bands before security finally did something about it. Also, the food tickets were an absolute ripoff. A 20 oz bottle of soda was about $4.

I went to the ribfest in Ft Wayne a few years ago and it was spectacular. You paid each vendor for the food and no tickets. The food was much cheaper and the concerts were put on much better.

Top Bottom