• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I can use most any American made pump shotgun for my needs. I've only experienced a complete failure (mag tube spring folding over - in tube) on a Mossberg 590A1.

My preference is most certainly the Remington 870.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I don't know which is best, but there's plenty that are plenty good enough. I have an 870 and a Mossberg, and prefer the safety on the Mossberg but feel good with either. If you are left handed, you'd probably prefer the Mossberg as well.

Either have a ton of accessories and different barrel lengths available. I've got 2 different length shot barrels, and hand full of chokes, and a cantilever scope mount slug barrel for the Mossberg, so its pretty multi-purpose.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I prefer the safety button location on the Remington to the Mossberg. That is the only reason. As I understand it the Green Berets use 870's and the Marines use 500's. You shouldn't have trouble with either of these. The Ithica and Winchester I don't have personal experience with. The very next shotgun I get is going to be an 1887 though because I love lever guns.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Multipurpose would be a pump gun. My experience with them is limited to the 2 most common picks:Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. I do not have a 500 now because I have a few 870s. If u want versatility I would go 3" 870 and you can change barrels as needed. HD, bird, slugs, trap and can even shoot skeet or sporting on report if you are good. With 3 barrels and chokes you should be able to do most anything you want with it and have the reliability that comes along with it.

I do like my old 870 Wingmasters. Feel good, smooth and function very well.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Best Shotgun

I vote for the Mossberg 500. I have had the 590A1 but found the action to be stiffer, and the gun just felt too heavy. I have never had a failure with multiple 500's.

Top Bottom