• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    First, my backround about knives. I know nothing. Nada. ZERO. I carry a junk pocket knife that I sharpen with a 4" grinder while clamped in the vice in my farm shop. I'd like to get a decent hunting knife that will be used mostly for gutting and deboning deer. In reality, it will be used more for boning than anything else, as I'll end up gutting the majority of deer in the field with whatever is in my pocket. I'd like to stay under $100 if possible, but could spend more if I had to. I'd like something probably in the 4-5" range, fixed blade of course. And of course it has to be able to leap giant buildings in a single bound, fly faster than a speeding bullet, and hold the sharpest of edges forever and ever!!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    What we use for gutting is a Buck Vanguard Zipper, works like a CHARM. Also use them for skinning. Great gut hook.
    A.G. Russell Knives | Buck® Vanguard & Buck Zipper
    Bottom image.

For deboning, we've got 2 knives we LOVE. Both of them the same model, one old version, one new version, the Case M3 Finn, fantastic little boning knives! It's just now being sold individually again, for years you had to buy it in a set with the larger version.
    Case M3 Finn Leather Hunter Fixed Blade Hunting Knife 3-1/8" Clip Point Surgical Steel Blade Leather Handle Brown - MidwayUSA

I wouldn't put either of them on the list as a survival or SHTF knife though.

I think I've got the first link corrected now.

Last edited:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I am a big fan of the Moria brand knives. Cheap enough to buy several. Sheaths are crap, but the blade hold an edge and work will on skinning and other hunting tasks.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Find a 50+ year old hudson bay/green river style butcher knife - 10 bucks (maybe). Get a good stone (I like DMT bench stones) - $40-50. Get a $12 dollar sheath from crazy crow.

That leaves you with at least 18 bucks to buy beer to celebrate putting together a complete knife system that worked for a hundred years for men who's lives depended on deer meat.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I like a folder, I started out with a buck 110 which here is the new model
    BUCK

when looking at knives remember you have to sharpen it so if you look at one with a "bolo" type blade or serrations then they are harder to sharpen, a good drop point without too much curve is easy to sharpen,

Shrade, case, ect. all the reputable companies make a good knife and your going to get knife fanatics with this post, so take the suggestions with a grain of salt

The reason I don't like a fixed blade knife is that they are alway exposed, and sheaths wear out and get cut through or they are hard and poky, a folder can be thrown in a pocket

I myself put a lot of store in made in the USA,

Also knives are made different in respect to blade hardness

A buck knife is usually hard to sharpen but will hold an edge very well, the Shrade's I have sharpen up quicker and hold and edge very well, I think if you stay with the bigger brands and stay away from anything that wants to be a tacticool knife you'll be ok,

Look at the designs that have been around for 20 years + they have been around because they work.

Good luck, remember if its big and heavy you have to carry it all day

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have seen any of the ESEE knives including the little Izula cut or field dress a deer. I think the ESSEE4 is the perfect size and weight. There is also the short Kabar it is good stuff too. I like the sheaths better that come with the ESEE knives tho instead of the leather sheaths with the kabars. I prefer the kydex sheaths but to each their own. :twocents: Most don not use the ESEE knives for hunting so if you dont go with the short kabar you can also think about the Buck omni hunter it is just the size you need and will do the job except for going through bone. It will be hard to find a knife to cut through bone unless it is a surgical steal.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's tough for one knife to do all jobs well.

The best compromise is probably a drop point with a 3-4 inch fixed blade. Drop points reduce the chances of piercing the intestines etc. when you're opening the abdominal cavity, but they also have enough belly to be decent skinners. There's a reason why Bob Loveless' style drop point hunters were and continue to be so popular.

I'd also go with a relatively thin blade, especially if you're doing boning primarily.

The production knife I know that matches those criteria is the AG Russell Deer Hunter: A.G. Russell Knives | A.G. Russell™ Deer Hunter

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    First, my backround about knives. I know nothing. Nada. ZERO. I carry a junk pocket knife that I sharpen with a 4" grinder while clamped in the vice in my farm shop. I'd like to get a decent hunting knife that will be used mostly for gutting and deboning deer. In reality, it will be used more for boning than anything else, as I'll end up gutting the majority of deer in the field with whatever is in my pocket. I'd like to stay under $100 if possible, but could spend more if I had to. I'd like something probably in the 4-5" range, fixed blade of course. And of course it has to be able to leap giant buildings in a single bound, fly faster than a speeding bullet, and hold the sharpest of edges forever and ever!!

Get a Buck 110 folding hunter, a Buck 102 or 105 fixed blade , or a Scrade or Old Timer Sharp Finger.

Buck Fixed Blades with Phenolic Handles - Knifecenter.com

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Schrade old timer for me. When they were made in the USA.

Butchering I use a pair of 6" fillet knives.

:+1: on the Schrade. I have two Sharpfingers that I have used on everything from squirrels to deer. Both mine were made in USA. Also have a Buck Vanguard that I use most of the time for deer during firearms season. Buck makes a great knife I know alot of people that use a Buck 110 for eveything. I also have used Gerber Gators both the folding and fixed bladed. The rubber handle is great for no slip while field dressing a deer. The gator folding is what I carry for bowhunting.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I prefer fixed blades for Deer for the simple reason they are easier to clean afterwards.

PS for Jack: There is something about picking your teeth with a knife and realizing that the "stuff" inside that knife is from last season, 10 months ago.................major mental yuck.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I prefer fixed blades for Deer for the simple reason they are easier to clean afterwards.

PS for Jack: There is something about picking your teeth with a knife and realizing that the "stuff" inside that knife is from last season, 10 months ago.................major mental yuck.

It's worse when you see your dad doing it, and he's holding his teeth in his hand... :rolleyes:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Could be worse...

Top Bottom