• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    While I have a Arsenal, I would also make note of a Vector. If you ever run across one then take a serious look at it. Mine is a beautiful Polish underfolder that has never let me down.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I wouldn't really call the VZ-58 an "AK" variant. They don't share any parts. VZ is short-stroke and the AK is long-stroke. They only thing they share in common is that they are piston driven.:dunno:

And even the piston is a completely different design. The VZ is short / not attached to the BCG unlike the AK. Hell, its a striker fired gun rather than hammer even. I think one if the only part that is interchangeable between the 2 is the rear sight leaf.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Vepr all the way. Not collectible, but they are shooters. Absolutely can't beat them for the price, and I'll put my super vepr up against any arsenal any day (and it was cheaper than an arsenal).

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    Vepr all the way. Not collectible, but they are shooters. Absolutely can't beat them for the price, and I'll put my super vepr up against any arsenal any day (and it was cheaper than an arsenal).

I couldn't agree more. I've shot Arsenals and they are great but personally I prefer Vepr's. I have one of the Atlantic Firearms with the red furniture and it's as accurate as a run of the mill AR @ 100 yds. It's not cheap $1250.00 but it's built like a tank and will last years and I like the look. I also have a Robinson Arms Vepr with a 20" barrel and it also is a great shooter. Both are 7.62x39.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    cheapest option, convert an Izmash saiga 7.62x39

My buddy has been trying to get me to sell him my SKS for some time now, and i've finally cracked. I'm thinking about putting the money toward an AK, but I don't know a lot about the different variants out there. What would you guys suggest, and why?
    honesty, your best bet is a saiga 7.62x39, made in the same plant and by the same company as the true AK's its about as close as your going to get these days to a "real" AK, Russian made and imported, plenty of parts available, reliable, and they are very inexpensive. Also to the best of my knowledge converting one increases its value as well.

guitarslinger21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    southwest
    It really depends on what you want. Nothing is going to be perfect. You must answer a handful of questions:
    1. Do you care about the optics/side rail? (this is a deal breaker for me)
    2. Do you care whether it's a stamped or milled receiver?
    3. Do you care if it comes from the Izhmash factory?
    4. Do you prefer wood over polymer?
    5. Do you want it to operate perfectly and look presentable out of the box?
    6. Do you have any gunsmithing skills?
    7. Which caliber do you want?
    8. Do you care about muzzle attachments?
    9. Do you want to be able to use a bayonet?
    10. Do you want lots of compatibility with aftermarket parts?
    11. Do you need a chrome-lined barrel
    11. Do you want to spend $600 or $1000+

I've never found a stock AK that had EVERYTHING I want, but the closest thing is: Arsenal SLR-104FR(for 5.45x39.5) and Arsenal SAM7R(for 7.62x39)

I really like my Yugo O-PAP, but the SVD-style optics rail is a huge PITA and poses eye-relief problems for anything magnified. The barrel is not chrome-lined. The stock will not swap out with very much. The furniture needed to be cleaned and refinished. There is no bayonet lug. The stock won't hold the cleaning kit. The pistol grip is unattractive and uncomfortable to me. Etc.

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Used to have a WASR, but it felt cheap and had some problems. Sold it. Now I have an M70AB2. Rock solid, reliable, compact, accurate (for an AK). Not the same as currently available M70AB2T, which has a thinner receiver. The T I had was unreliable and had rivet retention problems. Sold it. M70AB2 is cheaper than an Arsenal, more expensive than a WASR. Wood furniture is better than plastic - cooler, looks better. Great night sights with recently refreshed tritium vials. Main disadvantage - no chrome lining. But you'll be cleaning any AK after shooting corrosive ammo anyway, right?

These Yugos are built like a tank! - but heavy

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    I have had my OPAP for a while now and I love it. I think it's one of the best AKs for the money on the market right now. Fit and finish is superb and has had 0 malfunctions over roughly 500rds I've put throug it so far.

To respond to guitarslinger21, here are my opinions. The SVD style rail is not a pain, I have a Tuforce adjustable optics rail on it that fits great. You make up the slack with the stainless steel strip out of an old windshield wiper. It sounds hillbilly but it works perfectly and you'd never know they are there. I've got a red dot optic mounted and visibility is great, and I can co-witness the irons under the optic. eye relief options are infinite with the Tuforce optic mount and/or a new gas tube with a picitanny rail. About the barrel not being chrome lined, I've done a lot of research on that and I'm not convinced it's a must have. OP, do your own research on that and make up your own mind. The stock is comfortable for me, so I wouldn't swap it anyway, besides it has the awesome Serbian eagle crest! Lack of cleaning kit and bayonet lug mean nothing to me, and I think the pistol grip is fine. We're all different, so some things matter more to different people. Thats my $.02 on the OPAP, I'd buy one again.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I need another ak like a hole in my head, but I have been tempted to make a poor mans "krink" SBR. my fav ak is anything yugo. Haven't handled an Arsenal or a Saiga, but I wouldn't hesitate with either of those.
    VZ's look nice but they aren't an ak. I'd love to have one someday though. If you want an ak, I'd buy an ak. My WASR good to go, some are, some aren't. If you can handle one and its nice, its probably just fine. I'd still look toward anything yugo first.

Top Bottom