• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte
    i have 1 mag loaded with the remington golden saber and another mag loaded with federal hydra shoks

both feed well in my XD9 which is my EDC....

only able to find the federal's for my Glock 21 which is my nightstand gun

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    You can buy for "Name Brand", or you can buy what performs. Check the ballistic tables, Cor-bon is very impressive!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My XD sc does range, home defense, and carry duties. It stays loaded with Federal Classic C9BP everywhere but at the range. While at the range, I try to match grain count with the federal, for some consistency.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    For Home Defense, I'm suggesting you consider your environment before choosing an ammunition. EXAMPLE: Do you live in a house, an apartment, or a condo? How close are your neighbors? What is the exterior of your dwelling? How are your walls constructed? Are you alone or are there others residing with you? What's the layout of your sleeping rooms?

If you have a single / dbl story brick exterior home and live alone, you should seriously consider the same ammo you carry in your EDC. If you have a family to consider, or you live in an apartment / condo, then start looking at frangible rounds as an option.

My home is a brick 1st floor and a stick w/ siding on the 2nd. I have a 357 loaded with CCI Shot Shells as my first run and two speed loaders w/ 357 LNHP as backup. That's what I use to get to my other stuff... I'm a firm believer in "One = None , Two = One , Three will see you through"

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Always enjoy reading the "WHAT AMMO is best..." threads.

1. IT HAS TO RUN IN YOUR GUN... PERIOD.

2. GIVEN That...Anything on Doc Gary Roberts list for a given caliber (read link below for IN DEPTH analysis)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Of note Critical Defnse or Duty is NOT on the list.

3. SHOT PLACEMENT is CRITICAL, NO MATTER WHAT Unobtanium HEI fragmenting submunition tungsten penetrator rounds you are using. A FMJ hit high COM is better than a HST +P to the big toe.

4. SD Bullet selection is not JUST about terminal ballistics, it is also about NOT OVERPENETRATING into uninted targets.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    This One

I use the ammo that my GUN likes best, and always functions perfectly.
    All others are unimportant.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    My personal fave is the Critical Duty 135 +P. Doesn't plug, performs consistently for expansion and penetration. Earlier in this thread saw some folks who dispute that, seemingly. I'm just going on all the myriad tests I've been reading about. Why no love for Critical Duty, guys?

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Well, I just purchased my first 9mm recently and it seems all the personal defense ammo has gone missing. While I have been able to find some FMJ, I had to borrow some hollow points from a neighbor. Just yesterday I was able to purchase a box of Cor-Bon Pow'rBall 100gr +P at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. And that's the first personal defense ammo I have seen.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Always enjoy reading the "WHAT AMMO is best..." threads.

1. IT HAS TO RUN IN YOUR GUN... PERIOD.

2. GIVEN That...Anything on Doc Gary Roberts list for a given caliber (read link below for IN DEPTH analysis)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Of note Critical Defnse or Duty is NOT on the list.

3. SHOT PLACEMENT is CRITICAL, NO MATTER WHAT Unobtanium HEI fragmenting submunition tungsten penetrator rounds you are using. A FMJ hit high COM is better than a HST +P to the big toe.

4. SD Bullet selection is not JUST about terminal ballistics, it is also about NOT OVERPENETRATING into uninted targets.

This subject has been beat to death. This post nails it though! :yesway:

Top Bottom