• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Looking for a personal protection handgun to carry while hiking. Open carry is fine,
    so size is not too much of an issue, I would like it to be fairly light. Revolver or semi-auto.
    Looking to spend $400. Caliber good enough for personal protection.

What are your suggestions?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd add another $50 and buy a nice used Glock or M&P from the classifieds section. There's some for sale right now.

Or you could wait a while, save up another $150 and buy a brand new one.

A $400 budget is very limited to what you could buy.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I would suggest a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm. I have carried one every day for 8 months now. Never once expirienced a malfuction of any kind. I actually own two. I paid $430 for the first one and last night bought a second one for $410. (Those are out the door prices). I have seen them online for as low as $359 although I didnt look into the shipping details, plus that would require an FFL transfer. For 410 I'd rather just buy it at my LGS. $359 plus shipping and transfer fees and you'll hit $410 anyhow. By far the BEST $400 dollar pistol I have ever owned!

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I am also a Glock 19 fanatic so I wont disagree with Lemmitt or lovemachine. I bought my dad a M&P 9c last year and that has proven to be an awesome pistol as well. I paid $480 for it last year and saw them at the LGS for $525 last night which is why I did not mention them in my previous post. I also did not suggest a Glock 19 because I was under the impression that you are new to carrying (correct me if I am wrong) I was not a Glock guy from the beginning and although my G19 is one of my favorites I am glad I did not go buy one as my first pistol. With the lack of a manual safety, personally, I would not have been comfortable. The Shield does have a safety from the factory. Also some Smith & Wesson M&P compacts and full size models come with safeties. Some dont. The ones that dont have the capability of adding one if you chose to!. Just my :twocents: Hope it helped!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    It depends where you will be hiking. If you will be in an area with creatures with big teeth and claws I would go with a Ruger or S&W 357 magnum. If not I would go with a used Ruger "P" series 9mm or a used Glock but the Glock might need a bit more money thrown in. Jim.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    The S&W SD series at $330-375 is a reliable sleeper. Trigger is a lil goofy, but theres a $20 fix for that.
    Made in the USA, lifetime warranty and a suitable Glock knock-off.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Carry while hiking? There's some 357 mag Security Six's on gunbroker right now for that price, finding them locally might be difficult because stores are at the mercy of customers bring in used. Pretty solid revolver.

If you're looking for just a light gun to carry while hiking or in public, you might be able to find a brand new Smith and Wesson shield for around that price (probably a tad more). They don't float my boat too much (not bing into striker guns (ehh....glock)), but a lot of people like their Shields

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For $400 I tend to think Smith & Wesson K frame revolvers. A .38 Special or, if you're willing to wait for a killer deal, .357 Magnum could be had for that price. Certainly a Model 10 or Model 15 could be had for under $400. I suppose I'm not sure how light "fairly light" is to you, but each of those guns would be under 40 ounces loaded. Pretty sure certain Ruger revolvers could be had for a similar price.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    S&W 5906 can be found for under 450 I would pay no more than 450. In my opinion not too heavy for carry use and reliable. Mine eats whatever its fed.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The S&W SD series at $330-375 is a reliable sleeper. Trigger is a lil goofy, but theres a $20 fix for that.
    Made in the USA, lifetime warranty and a suitable Glock knock-off.

For sub $400, this. I've actually fondled one that had the Apex kit installed and it's perfectly serviceable. For under $375 with tax and kit, you can buy some defensive ammo and have a good piece of weapon. Maybe not the best on the planet, but for the price range, who are you kidding?

As for the used Glock crowd, yes and no. Some of the people locally are thinking their third gens are gold lately and haven't received the message about the panic being over. The Fourth gen crowd is out of their mind. Summit Gunbroker online has used police trade in G22s for uber cheap ($15 shipping, go to a solid place with a $20 or under FFL and you have a lightly used, night sighted G22 for under 4 bills). Not concealable enough? Get a hacksaw, files and a G23 magazine and get cutting.

Top Bottom