• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have a Marlin Model 60, like everyone else in the world, and I certainly enjoy shooting this rifle. I also have a collection of several single shot, bolt action .22 LR's from various makers. The bolt action pieces are used when I am shooting with the Boy Scouts, they are required to use this type of rifle.

Of course I have noticed a wide and varied inconsistency when it comes to accuracy with most of the bulk .22 LR ammo that we all know and love.

What do you guys and dolls shoot in your .22 LR when accuracy and consistency matters? Contesting, squirrel hunting, quelling varmint uprisings...etc

Thanks in advance

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Wow that was fast. Thanks. One more question...is there any regular .22 LR competitive shooting being done in Central Indiana? If I was interested in first watching a couple matches and then getting into the sport, where is a good place to start?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What do you guys and dolls shoot in your .22 LR when accuracy and consistency matters? Contesting, squirrel hunting, quelling varmint uprisings...etc

Ilike the CCI as well, but I use the CCI Standard Velocity rounds. They are 40 grain, lead round nose bullets and are loaded to the same specs as the CCI Match ammo.

The best part is if you watch the sales, you can get fantastic deals. The last time Dick's had them on sale, I got 5,000 rounds for $250. They are sub-sonic at 1070 fps and shoot very consistent groups.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    CCI mini mags for accuracy and for fun plinking Federal Champion bulk. with the federal i can go 10 for 10 at 150yards on a 6"x10" steel plate and 8 for 10 on the same plate at 250 yards (assuming no wind). CCI my groups shrink also....i need to stock up on some CCI right now actually

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    CCI blazer works great in early 70s Glenfield model 60, and there's a coupon in the Dunham's fall hunting guide for $1.49 a box.

Hunting9-02.jpg

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    CCI standard velocity as a minimum for bulls eye shooting . then when you start shooting better switch to match grade . shooting bulseye is vastly different than shooting at a steel plate . Try hitting a squirrel in the head at 75 yards -every time- with open sights.It all depends on what you are shooting at as to how accurate the ammo needs to be

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For me, it depends heavily on the gun. One gun loves Federal 510, another likes Remington target, another demands CCI Velocitors, and my Marlin 39 is happy with cheap Blazers.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Is this a mailed/instore flyer? I don't see it in the latest online circular nor have I got a Dunham's Rewards notification.

It's in their fall hunting guide, which is in the same place as on their site as the regular weekly ad. There are some good coupons for other ammo as well. It's longer than their regular ad too. It is 40+ pages.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I buy the CCI AR Tactical bulk packs. They work fantastic in everything I've tried them in, pretty accurate as well. They get used in a cricket, walther p22 and a marlin 60w. Never a jam, mis-fire or feed issue. Not the cheapest but definitely the only one I trust and buy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The 50 or 100 round box is your friend right now. See a new box and buy one. test it out.
    See what it likes as rimfires are ammo picky. Once you find one that works best at 50 yards then get a bunch of it.

Some of my rimfires prefer:

Federal gameshock
    Wolf match
    federal 510's
    cci SV or HV (I make this stuff my standard for testing 22 rimfire rifles and pistols) If it jams or misfires with CCI it is not the ammo that is the problem.

One even groups best with win wildcat 22's and rem subsonic.

I think if yours likes the copper plated stuff in 38 grain then the Winchester Xperts in 550 and sometimes 1100 round bulk pack's are great for bulk.

I would avoid rem golden bullets, dirty and to much wax.

Top Bottom