• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I just got a Ruger Mark III. I was told to expect problems during the "break in period" (apx first 300 rounds) So as an experiment I bought Federal, Remingtion and CCI and alternated every other mag.

Results from about 250 rounds shot today. CCI had one failure. Remington had about 6 to 8 total failures. And the Federal had at least 30 failures.

Most of these were in the first 100 to 125 rounds. The last 100 or so seemed better. I am cleaning the gun now and will run it again this evening to see if there is anything to this break in period advice.

But so far the CCI and Remington were the best for my gun. Fereral, not so good. Good luck with your S&W

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Update- After a thorough and complete cleaning I shot another150 rounds of the Federal (had the most problems with it) and did not have even one failure. For what its worth

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    for whats its worth, mine would do something like this with all ammo. It went back to S&W and it was out of spec. They did something to it and it shoots great.

I found that I have gotten so used to my glock trigger reset that I have trouble with other weapons now.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    for whats its worth, mine would do something like this with all ammo. It went back to S&W and it was out of spec. They did something to it and it shoots great.

I found that I have gotten so used to my glock trigger reset that I have trouble with other weapons now.

Did you take it back to the shop or send it directly to them yourself? Did you have to contact them for a service number or anything?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I tried everything and couldn't get my .22A-1 to stop failing on the second round. I called S&W and could not get through, so I called Bradis and they said to bring it in and they will get their gunsmith to take a look at it.

I thought about trading it at the 1500, but my conscious won't allow me to pass along a gun that's having issues. So, hopefully, this will all work out and I can have some fun with the gun some day.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Not that I don't have great faith in the guys at Bradis, but that gun needs to go back to S&W. It should be fixed for free - but if somebody's been wrenching on it - well who knows the outcome. They also don't have a facility where they can fire the weapon in-house (unless they have tanks or something in the back - but I've never heard of it)

I feel for ya, Que. I traded off a 22A in 2001 at a steep loss because of the exact same issues - I should've sent mine in but was afraid of what it was going to cost. Loved that gun when it ran - but hated it more when it wouldn't run.

While they're not without their own faults, the Ruger Mark III 22/45 is a good alternative. Mine made a short trip to Prescott, AZ when it wouldn't go back together after a strip , but since it's been back i've put nearly 4000 rounds through it without a field strip and the only failures have been ammo related misfires. No jams, no double feeds, no FTE-E's.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been surprised about cci blazer bulk from dick's. About $20.
    Felt kind of oily or waxy and thought I'd be de-scuzzing my neos and savage for hours. But they both fed and extracted fine.
    A little smokey when shooting so I expected lots of grime.
    Not too bad.

I almost bought a 22A instead of the U22 because the price was about the same. The grip of the 22a even felt better.
    The trigger on my beretta gives me fits, so I'm not braggin' but it eats junk ammo well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The gun has gone back to S&W. Hopefully, it will shoot flawlessly when it gets back.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow too bad. I hate sending guns back, but it does happen. As to the original topic...CCI mini mags are about the most consistent product that is readily available. My personal favorite is Federal AutoMatch. Good look finding them though. Used to be able to buy them is 375 round bulk packs.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Bought the Mrs. a Walther P-22. First time we shot it we used a mixed bag and it seemed like every third round would jamb from not cycling fully. Next time, Federal bulkpack from Wally. Every shot would fail to eject fully. Next: Remington 525 pack. Bingo! no failures. Tried the Federals again thinking maybe it was broke in, same problem as before. On a side note, my son's Ruger standard eats everything.
    :twocents:

TFB53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Muncie
    I was at Ludco Gunshop yesterday , they have about 20 boxes of the Federal AutoMatch on the counter by the cash register.

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    at walmart they sell federal target rounds strictly for autoloaders they are 12 dollars for 325 round or try remington viper rounds or good old remington thunderbolts a buck 97 a box

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Top Bottom