• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I need to know the best .22 ammo to purchase. I have tried two brands and I still have several FTF's in my new S&W 22A-1. I am currently using Federal 22 Long Rifle. So, could it be the gun or should I purchase different ammo?

Last edited:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I need to know the best .22 ammo to purchase. I have tried two brands and I still have several FTF's in my new S&W 22A-1. I am currently using Federal 22 Long. So, could it be the gun or should I purchase different ammo?

If your running .22Long ..That is the problem ...the 22a-1 is designed for Long Rifle (if I remember correctly ) ...bit of a difference.

Most 22's are best broken in with CCI stingers ..A lil bit hotter than norm .
    you could possibly need to Polish the feed ramp also ..

First I would make sure I have .22 long rifle ammo ...(Not short or long )
    I would strip the gun down and do a detail cleaning , make sure there is no gunk from the factory on anything (slide , firing pin , chamber )
    then lube it up and give the CCI stingers a try ...

Hope this helps .

I am sure others will be by with other advice that I missed or forgot .:ingo:

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Most 22's are best broken in with CCI stingers ..A lil bit hotter than norm .

+1 - Agree completely. I've been given that same advice on three separate occasions and followed it with great success. I just bought a MKIII 22/45 - shot 150 CCI through it and then about 300 Federal Bulk Pack from Wally World and no FTE or FTF.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You have a 22A - FTF's are to be expected. They've gotten better over the years but misfires on that gun are not uncommon. I used them to learn and practice the tap/rack/bang malf drills - and just reshot the misfired cases. They usually went off the second time.

Always had the best luck with CCI Mini Mags in that gun. Stingers are too hot and will damage the recoil buffer in short order. I'd stay away from velocitors, too. The "best" bulk ammo I've shot has been the Federal red box 550 packs - Load #750. 710 isn't bad for "cheap" ammo either. Winchester 333 and 555 bulk packs aren't bad but the point of impact shift between it and the federal is dramatic. I don't buy remington rimfire ammo any more - its all junk.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Asking what .22 ammo to buy is like asking what brand of cigarettes to smoke. Try a couple brands and see what's best for you. Allthough, I agree with cleaning the gun first. That's where I'd say a solid 90% of malfunctions with a .22 come from. And as far as my analogy goes I find the .22 to be far more addictive.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    I have an AMT 22 backup and went to Atterbury today and used Winchester 36gr hollow points and it kept jamming so I switched back to CCI Stingers that I carry in it and not one FTF or FTE. Remington and Winchester are made poorly. I've never had problems with CCI in 22 or 22 mag.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks everybody. I cannot say I've always followed the rule of 1) clean, 2) lube, and 3) fire. I will get it cleaned and see how it performs from there.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    My 22a eats about any thing I feed it. I've not had a lot of problens from it. The 10/22, had some FTF's and I'm wondering if it may be a quality in ammo from lot to lot problem, more than a gun problem. I shoot whatever is CHEAP. My guns would think I sold them if they got GOOD ammo. :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I need to know the best .22 ammo to purchase. I have tried two brands and I still have several FTF's in my new S&W 22A-1. I am currently using Federal 22 Long. So, could it be the gun or should I purchase different ammo?

I am not the only one who caught this, Are you really using .22Long in a firearm set for .22 LR (Long Rifle)???

If that was just a mis-type, then you really should buy an assortment of different .22LR. Most of us have found that some firearms are very ammo sensitive. Once you find a round that works well with your S&W then stick with it.

Doesn't make sense but some firearms really do shoot better with one brand than another.

Good luck!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For plinking ammo, I have always stuck with CCI mini-mags. They are more expensive then buying bulk. I have found them to be very consistent though, and have not found a gun that does not like them.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You stated several FTF. What is the percentage? From my experience:
    Remington Thunderbolts - 10 out of 50 is not uncommon if you get a bad batch.
    CCI and Federal Bulk Packs (500/550) and Federal 714 Target - 5 FTF in 500 would be high. This based on shooting these rounds in a Buck Mark, 22/45, 10-22, Savage Bolt Action, Henry Golden Boy, Mossberg 702, and a Single Six.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am not the only one who caught this, Are you really using .22Long in a firearm set for .22 LR (Long Rifle)???

If that was just a mis-type, then you really should buy an assortment of different .22LR. Most of us have found that some firearms are very ammo sensitive. Once you find a round that works well with your S&W then stick with it.

Doesn't make sense but some firearms really do shoot better with one brand than another.

Good luck!

It was a typo, I am using .22 LR.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I cleaned and lubricated the gun. I went to the range yesterday hoping the problem would be resolved, but that was asking too much. It seemed like every 10-round magazine would fail to fire the second round. I shot about 200 rounds and it was the same, with very little deviation:

1. Fire first round
    2. Second round FTF
    3. Clear failure
    4. Rounds 3-10 normally fires

Only once in a while would there be a second FTF in the same 10 rounds of a magazine.

I will try to clean and lube again. But, I've NEVER had an issue with a gun that fails like this. Is there anything that I can do besides experiment with various brands of .22 LR? Is there any chance S&W will replace the gun?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I cleaned and lubricated the gun. I went to the range yesterday hoping the problem would be resolved, but that was asking too much. It seemed like every 10-round magazine would fail to fire the second round. I shot about 200 rounds and it was the same, with very little deviation:

1. Fire first round
    2. Second round FTF
    3. Clear failure
    4. Rounds 3-10 normally fires

Only once in a while would there be a second FTF in the same 10 rounds of a magazine.

I will try to clean and lube again. But, I've NEVER had an issue with a gun that fails like this. Is there anything that I can do besides experiment with various brands of .22 LR? Is there any chance S&W will replace the gun?

What ammo were you using for this range session? 22A's are just plain finicky with ammo - always have been. I had one that I sold at a steep loss bceause I couldn't get it to behave properly. When you say you're having FTF's - are they misfires? Or is the gun not going completely into battery with the extractor over the rim of the cartridge ?

Misfires might be an ammo problem, but if the gun isn't completely going into battery you may have an issue with Smith to deal with . They might work on the gun under warranty but do not expect a replacement.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Do you have more than one magazine? If you are getting consistent failures at the same point in the magazine, it sounds like a mag problem.

If I remember correctly, my 22a digested almost everything I gave it, including the dreaded Golden Bullet. But I have the most success with Mini-Mags.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What ammo were you using for this range session? 22A's are just plain finicky with ammo - always have been. I had one that I sold at a steep loss bceause I couldn't get it to behave properly. When you say you're having FTF's - are they misfires? Or is the gun not going completely into battery with the extractor over the rim of the cartridge ?

Misfires might be an ammo problem, but if the gun isn't completely going into battery you may have an issue with Smith to deal with . They might work on the gun under warranty but do not expect a replacement.

I stayed with the Federal just to make sure it wasn't the ammo, but a dirty weapon. I believe they are actually misfires. I will try another brand of ammo when I go back out. After that, I will be contacting Smith & Wesson.

Do you have more than one magazine? If you are getting consistent failures at the same point in the magazine, it sounds like a mag problem.

If I remember correctly, my 22a digested almost everything I gave it, including the dreaded Golden Bullet. But I have the most success with Mini-Mags.

I have two magazines and the same thing happens with both, failure on the second round.

Top Bottom