• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Since nobody else has mentioned it yet, my first 1911 was (still is) a Taurus. It had about 700 rounds through it when I got it from an INGOer for $500. I've lost track of how many rounds I've put through it now, but it's a lot, and I've never had any kind of failure with it.

Brand new, it'd only be $600. It really is one of the best quality per dollar options for 1911s. Taurus also has a lifetime warranty.

You can Google reviews on it, but here's one I found especially helpful when I was considering purchasing it.
    :+1: I've got the alloy framed version and could not ask for a better 1911,800rds+ and no issuses.Eats everything I feed it and very accurate. Just my:twocents:.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I would recommend Springfield in a heartbeat. I have 4 of them now.

Specifically, I'd recommend the Loaded. Good bang for the buck.

I've seen them for $749 NIB.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I have springfield GI 1911, bought it brand new. had one small problem with it (slide had a burr where the rear site was installed. Springfield took care of it asap. great company and the gun shoots so well. I am thinking of getting a smaller version for carry as the 5" barrel is a little more uncomfortable for a skinny guy like me. Anyone used one of there 3" barrel designs?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have Springfield GI 1911, bought it brand new. had one small problem with it (slide had a burr where the rear site was installed. Springfield took care of it asap. great company and the gun shoots so well. I am thinking of getting a smaller version for carry as the 5" barrel is a little more uncomfortable for a skinny guy like me. Anyone used one of there 3" barrel designs?

I haven't used one the Springfield 3" 1911's but my EDC is a Kimber 3" Tactical Ultra II and it is a great carry gun, still very accurate and dependable (no problems in over 4 yrs now).

The Springfield EMP's look to be great carry guns and with their CS I don't think you have anything to worry about if you get one.

If you do make sure you post some pics and a range report. :rockwoot:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I have springfield GI 1911. Anyone used one of there 3" barrel designs?

Well, yes and no. I carry an EMP40. Not a true dimension 1911, it is still a 3" 1911. Shoots very well. While not a .45acp - the 1911 design & weight makes shooting .40s&w VERY manageable. No problem to dump a few hundred rounds through and ready for more. Carries even better. Single stacks have their place and doubt I would ever go back to a double stack design for carry because of bulk. Wouldn't exactly make a range gun out of, but so comfortable that I do indeed carry every day no matter what I am doing.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Check out the Taurus pt1911. It's my third 1911, had two Kimbers before. This gun Functions flawlessly. 500 rounds, no failures of any kind. In the past, I have had problems with both Kimbers. Thought it was just the nature of the beast until I shot the Taurus. Be warned a lot of people bash the Taurus, but have never seen or shot one in person. As far as price goes, you get a lot for your money, the money you save should be spent on good Wilson Combat Magazines (atleast three, costing around 140) and a good holster (should cost around 80 depending on what you want). I picked up my PT1911 for around 600. So that puts you just over 800 bucks.

Not to discourage you from buying a more expensive and better pistol, I just feel that you wont get anything better for the price, and to get something really better you would nee to spend around 2k+. Most companies make "custom" pistols for under 1500, really produce about the same quality stuff.. In my opinion of course.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

I'm not very knowledgeable at all about 1911 pistols...

But you say that your budget is $1000? Do you want to spend all of that

Or rather spend a few hundo less and the rest on ammo?

What caliber 1911? I'm presuming .45 ACP since you're an admitted traditionalist...

If you're going for a $700 pistol, you can buy a better quality 1911 than a Taurus. Not sure if you're on Glock Talk or not, but one of the guys over there A) spends thousands of dollars a year on firearms B) has several dozen "rack" and/or custom 1911 pistols C) He carries a Kimber, D) heaps more praise upon RIA/Armscorp/Philipine-made 1911 pistols than he does Taurus, and E) owns and enjoys a few Taurus revolvers. I personally value and respect his opinion.

Taurus PT1911 - Glock Talk

Taurus 1911 ALR review of my new gun - Glock Talk

Are just two threads discussing the virtues of the Taurus PT1911.

But, like in everything, you must make your own decision based on your own research.

*Every firearms manufacturer has its' detractors. And every firearms company produces lemons. Taurus' just SEEMS to have a higher propensity for lemons, especially amongst their semi-autos, than many other companies.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I am just saying, from personal experience, both my Kimbers were nice pistols. The Kimber Warrior cost me over 1k. I wanted to buy a Wilson (and probably should have), but the dealer for some reason talked me into buying the Warrior instead. I liked the Warrior I felt like it was a good deal compared to spending twice as much on the Wilson. Eventually the Warrior was stolen out of a hotel room I stayed at and I needed a new pistol. I had a buddy that purchased a PT1911 before and had nothing but good things to say about it. I tried it. I liked it. The price was good. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing the research themselves and deciding what they like, but I really think you should shoot a few and see what works for you.

I do understand that Taurus has made a few customers unhappy in the 80's and the feeling against the brand name is still negative for some people, but you should also look at some of the good things people say about the gun. Check out Taurusarmed.net if you want to hear things that owners feel about their gun.

The finish on a more expensive gun may be better, the Warrior had a great finish. The sites on a more expensive gun may be better, the Warrior had nice night sites. All in all though, those may or may not be important to you. The performance of the gun, in my opinion is on par or even better than the Kimbers, which at the time of ownership, I loved.

I checked out the clock forum links. You might want to check it out. There are a few good posts there that worth looking for, but it's also a good example of what "bashing" looks like. If someone is going to give advice against a gun, it should be backed up be real facts. IE safety doesn't feel smooth, or out of 500 rounds experienced 20 misfeeds. When you look at a gun that's good for you, focus on what is good about it, we can always sit and discuss every small thing another pistol and get off topic, but that wouldn't get you anywhere. The Taurus as described in glockfoum, is not perfect. No firearm is. The finish is not perfect, neither the trigger, sites, hangrips (cheap), yada yada. I can't say enough good things about the reliability of accuracy out of the box. Also lifetime fix/replace by the company.

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Ya know, I'm kinda echoing what's already been said here, but I absolutely love my RIA 1911. It's like AMEX, I never leave home without it.

For a grand, you could two RIAs and have some bucks left over for some ammo. I bought mine at the 1500 about a year ago for $380. Best money I've spent on a gun.

My :twocents:'s.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I had an Army buddy, who did have about 3 RIA 1911s. While he said they weren't the best around, he swore by them and said for the money, they can't be beat. Food for thought.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    +1 for Taurus PT1911. I have one and it is a great shooter, accurate, and I have never had any problems. I have had Colts, and Kimbers, in the past, but the PT1911 is my favorite. I think it is the best bang for the buck in 45acp 1911s.
    Dave

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    In honor of not being able to go to the 1500, I stopped by the LGS last night and scarfed up one of these. haven't shot it yet but the finish and feel is wonderful!

1911.jpg

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Excellent pick-up Cemetary-man. I have the commanders length scandium version of your pistol and it is far more accurate than I am. Just an excellent all around shooter and good looking too!

Top Bottom