• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i bought 2. 1 for my wife 6 years ago and she put 2k rounds through it before we traded it in on another. and she still has it and it shoots well. me personally i prefer my ruger lcp's but none the less great little guns

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As has been pointed out, the Thunder 380 is a fine gun for what it is. A very good deal.

However, you don't have to step all the way down to a 380 ACP to get something in that form factor. For example, the Kahr CW9 is virtually the same size (L x W), but is also lighter and narrower than the Bersa and is chambered for a more potent (less expensive, and more available) cartridge, i.e. 9 mm. Something to think about.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As has been pointed out, the Thunder 380 is a fine gun for what it is. A very good deal.

However, you don't have to step all the way down to a 380 ACP to get something in that form factor. For example, the Kahr CW9 is virtually the same size (L x W), but is also lighter and narrower than the Bersa and is chambered for a more potent (less expensive, and more available) cartridge, i.e. 9 mm. Something to think about.

The Kahr is a great gun if you want to pay the price difference. The Bersa is about $249 vs. around $400 for the Kahr.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Kahr is a great gun if you want to pay the price difference. The Bersa is about $249 vs. around $400 for the Kahr.

True enough. However, .380 acp ammo is significantly more expensive than 9 mm ammo. So, owning a 380 will become more expensive over time as one shoots.

For example, let's say 100 rnds of Winchester whitebox 9mm runs about $19 and 100 rnds of Winchester whitebox in 380 runs about $29 (which is in the ball park). After 16 such boxes of ammo, the total cost for the Bersa is $713 while the total cost for the Kahr is $704 or $9 CHEAPER. If you shoot a box of such ammo each month, it's only a 16 month payback.

And the more you shoot the greater the price difference becomes. After only 2 years of shooting a box a month, the Kahr is $89 cheaper in total cost of ownership. And so on. That's one way to look at it anyway.

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    True enough. However, .380 acp ammo is significantly more expensive than 9 mm ammo. So, owning a 380 will become more expensive over time as one shoots.

For example, let's say 100 rnds of Winchester whitebox 9mm runs about $19 and 100 rnds of Winchester whitebox in 380 runs about $29 (which is in the ball park). After 16 such boxes of ammo, the total cost for the Bersa is $713 while the total cost for the Kahr is $704 or $9 CHEAPER. If you shoot a box of such ammo each month, it's only a 16 month payback.

And the more you shoot the greater the price difference becomes. After only 2 years of shooting a box a month, the Kahr is $89 cheaper in total cost of ownership. And so on. That's one way to look at it anyway.

True ,,, unless you roll your own :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Bersa is hands-down THE most under-rated/under-appreciated firearm in existance.
    The Bersa 380 was the first handgun I owned.
    After 12 years, it has yet to fail in any way.

I've bought and sold many Glocks, Sigs and Colts.
    The Bersa stays.

It is also my first(and so far only). The ONLY thing I regret is the 380 ammo shortage. lol
    It shoots great, fits my hands perfectly, reliable, accurate, inexpensive, EASY to strip and clean, and looks pretty dang good too!

I could not have made a better choice for a first handgun, and I think I will never part with it either, no matter what else I buy(like say, the upcoming Polymer framed Bersa 9mm CC? :D )

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Had one for about 10 years and never had a issue (close to 2k through it) untill last year. My wife took it with her and some girlfriends on a range trip and it came back without the rear sight insert, the frame that held the insert is still there but the sights are gone.
    This reminds me that I really need to find a replacement!

Bersa Firearms - Manuals & Parts

Bersa Thunder .380 Rear Sight $5.00
    Bersa Thunder .380 Rear Sight Blade $1.00
    Bersa Thunder .380 Rear Sight Screw $1.00
    Bersa Thunder .380 Rear Sight Spring $1.00

Top Bottom