Berries falling into backyard from tree. Can you identify these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Enjoy! I have several around where I live. It can be difficult beating the birds to them, though. The ones in your pic aren't yet ripe. They'll turn deep purple, and fall off or get eaten very shortly thereafter.

You know you've got it good when you are complaining that you have food growing in your yard.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr_237.pdf

It can be difficult to tell the difference between the invasive and the native species - the above link helps as well and any I can find. Hybrid trees are also possible. From the pics I believe you have the native red mulberry.

My philosophy? In my yard - they are weeds, kill 'em all and get as much of the roots as possible or they will keep coming back. Birds love them and I don't need that stuff all over my driveway and cars. This can be immensely frustrating at times because they grow where birds poop - like all entwined in your evergreen trees. In the wild I will enjoy picking and making the occasional mulberry pie. Though the seeds are quite bothersome for people who don't like seedy fruit (my wife), so more for me. :)

If you use them in the kitchen, be very careful and clean up any splashing juice immediately - they will stain everything but glass.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    They make excellent pies. My grandma had a large mulberry tree that she would pic and make several pies. Very tasty. She also made apple butter and apple jam from the apple tree. Best apple stuff I ever ate!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Birds love them and I don't need that stuff all over my driveway and cars.

Try living next door to a 40 acre blueberry farm.:(

Dude has timed, sequenced, propane cannons that keep the flocks of blackbirds moving. Moving right over my airspace.:rolleyes:

Would installing a battery of AA guns, or maybe a phalanx system be overreacting?:dunno:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr_237.pdf

It can be difficult to tell the difference between the invasive and the native species - the above link helps as well and any I can find. Hybrid trees are also possible. From the pics I believe you have the native red mulberry.

My philosophy? In my yard - they are weeds, kill 'em all and get as much of the roots as possible or they will keep coming back. Birds love them and I don't need that stuff all over my driveway and cars. This can be immensely frustrating at times because they grow where birds poop - like all entwined in your evergreen trees. In the wild I will enjoy picking and making the occasional mulberry pie. Though the seeds are quite bothersome for people who don't like seedy fruit (my wife), so more for me. :)

If you use them in the kitchen, be very careful and clean up any splashing juice immediately - they will stain everything but glass.

+1 on the weeds comment.

On a side note the best way I found to get rid of them is to cut them off just above the ground. Drill a couple of holes in the top as soon as you cut them. Fill the holes with the full strength Round Up and let the stumps drink until they can't drink anymore.....GONE FOREVER!!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I get all the mulberries i can get each year and freeze them in the food saver bags. Make cobblers all year round. And jam too.

They have surpassed blackberries as my favorites.

I know a sweet spot on the white river and im planning to go get about 5 gallons tomorrow.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Make some wine.

giphy.gif

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You will be fighting seedlings growing everywhere. It is a nuisance.
    While I certainly recognize mulberry's uncanny ability to grow just about anywhere, I don't recall ever having this problem growing up. My parents have lived in the same house for 25 years now, it has the largest mulberry tree I've ever seen in my life (canopy spread is ~100 feet) and produced numerous berries. Yet I can't ever recall having issues with them growing everywhere.

That being said, my parent's tree is a native red mulberry, not the imported white mulberry.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    The fruit is very tasty, the trees are a sight to behold, but the root system will destroy your house foundation from more than 20 feet away. Also they can find the tiniest crack in your sewer line and then grow you a very big root ball inside the pipe. I loved them when I ran a sewer rooting machine for a living.

Top Bottom