Berries falling into backyard from tree. Can you identify these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The area this tree is growing in has a lot of honeysuckle trees, as well.

These berries, though, don't look like the typical honeysuckle berries I've seen before.

Do you know what these are? And should we prevent the dogs from eating them (to a greater extent than we are, I mean.) Or even cut the branches down that are over our fence into our yard.

jBrNso7.jpg

U5qFdhB.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I grew up with a mulberry tree above our swing set, tree house and sand box when I was a kid. Those things make one hell of a mess. They stain skin, clothes, feet, everything.

If you can keep them out of your yard, I'd recommend doing so.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a half dozen of these trees. Be warned they will stain your clothes if you get in to them while doing yard work.

A buddy of mines Korean girl friend comes and picks them to make wine. They are eatable but the seeds are hard. I don't care much for them but the birds sure do. Then they leave blue poop everywhere. :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had a 20 footer in my yard when I was a kid. They are sooooo tasty when ripe. The only bad thing was the giant thorns. ouch!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Bird pooop laced with mulberry makes an almost indelible stain on some fabrics, like lawn chairs. We used to pick them and mom would make us a mulberry pie

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    As everyone said those are mulberries, very delicious, stains like crazy, non toxic. They can be hard to control if you don't want them. However they make great jams, jellies, pies, syrups, and drinks(alcoholic and non). They are also really good for those who are anemic, hyperglycemic or hypoglycemic. Leaf extracts are antibacterial as well. This plant has many uses, but avoid unripe fruits and raw shoots for food. They contain a sort of hallucinogen but it takes many unripe fruit from what I read for those harmful effects to happen. Usually puking happens first. To collect, if interested, lay a clean poly tarp down under the tree in the morning. Check it in the evening for loads of berries, or have kids throw sticks to knock them down.

I got two trees at my house and jam, jelly, and syrup is what I like to do with them, besides eating raw. When eating raw, hold by the green stem and pull the flesh away to avoid chewing the pit. If making jelly exclude the stems and pits as they harden w/ cooking.

Top Bottom