• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got to MCFG just before close tonight and ran 30 rounds through my Nano (15 WWB NATO 124 grain FMJ followed by 15 Federal HST (147 grain?) JHP. My strings were to fill both mags, then load a round off the top of the 6 rounder, then top it off and empty it followed by the 8 rounder.

The pistol ran flawlessly, no malfunctions of any kind. I'm saving my WWB 115 grain FMJ for that test after I break it in with hotter ammo. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, though. First thing I did when I got it was take off the 3-dot sights and replace them with Trijicon night sights, and I just eyeballed the rear sight to be centered in the dovetail. The barrel is too short for my laser boresighter.

I was shooting offhand at 7 yards and spraying them all over an 8" Dirty Bird target. Then I went over to the other bay and actually missed steel twice with the JHP. What a waste of a good round, LOL. At least I know this stuff runs in my Nano now.

Since the shots grouped on-target (just a big group, about 8") I guess I'll just leave the rear sight where it is until I get more consistent with trigger control and maybe then my groups will tell me something needs adjustment. Either that or find someone who shoots pocket pistols better than I do, which wouldn't be difficult.

I have 2 holsters on the way (the Beretta OWB molded from ABS with belt loop and paddle with no cant angle (not sure how that one will work out), a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, and the High Noon Split Decision I retained from when I had my first Nano. With OWB, IWB, pocket, and a SmartCarry also retained from when I had my first Nano I should have all the bases covered. I just wish I could find a good retention holster like the Safariland ALS system for this pistol.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the trigger still feels a little gritty with kind of a bouncy, springy feel eminating from the innards after it breaks when dry firing it. My brother's pistol has a very smooth trigger with a clean break and a solid "click" with no bouncy sensation when dry firing. I've detail stripped mine twice looking for the reason but I have only found one oddity: the vertical plunger in the back of the slide (firing pin safety?) feels sticky when I move it up and down by hand. My brother's pistol is smooth in comparison. Not sure that's the culprit, though. For now I'm going to FrogLube the heck out of it when the green stuff arrives in my mailbox and see what happens. If shooting it doesn't make it better I'm sending it back for work.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I ran another 35 rounds through my new Nano Monday evening. The groups are tightening up a bit and the trigger is getting smoother but still isn't how I'd like it to feel so I'm going to do the "25 cent Glock trigger job" on it. The Flitz and Dremel tool are waiting. I also just installed a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve and I like the feel of it. The ridge below the trigger guard will help when shooting with the flush-fitting 6 round magazine. I did have to trim about 1/4" off the grip under the trigger guard tapering back to no trimming at the heel of the grip, nothing some patient work with a sharp razor blade couldn't handle.

I almost hate to say this because I'll probably jinx myself but the pistol has run flawlessly so far. My last session was 124-grain Winchester NATO and I would expect the gun to cycle smartly as this is pretty hot ammo (at least compared to 115-grain white box).

The highlight of this range trip was saving the last 5 rounds for the 100-yard steel plate and actually managing to hit it (only once with the third round, though). Hickok45 is in no danger of being outshot by me.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've had a Nano since late November. It has around 800 rounds through it. On a couple occasions I fired 200 rounds a range session without issue. I did add some Talon grips to it, and they improved the grip for me. The trigger also gets better with use. I like mine very much. One thing people say they don't like about the Nano is the lack of a slide lock.......not an issue for me. I don't use the slide lock to clear a jam....drop the mag, rack the slide, insert fresh mag.....bang. Hope this helps, it is a nice little gun.

Lots of clever people over at the Beretta forum have been working on a slide lock for the Nano. Looks promising and somewhere in there someone even mentions Beretta maybe offering this as an option in the future although I would not count on it.

You tell me... Nano external slide catch - Beretta Forum

My career is precision sheet metal development and I could EASILY draw this up in CAD and tool up to make it if the market was there.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Felt recoil/muzzle flip?

Is this a handgun you might have an extended range session with, or really snappy? KT P-11 snappy?

The Kel-Tec P11 recoil is 'medium', I guess. I think it's fairly easy to shoot. IMO, I sure wouldn't call it 'snappy'. I guess it's just what you're used to.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pardon me while I bump this thread again...

I didn't go hog wild like this guy who polished everything inside his Nano but I did do the "25 cent trigger job" on mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE7gXCK6SZM&feature=youtube_gdata_playeri

I only polished up the mating surfaces of the cocking lever, striker, and striker block and the trigger feels much better. Way smoother I would say. I haven't been to the range yet, dry firing only so far. I've become a wizard at detail strpping my Nano and reassembling this pistol in no time flat. I have all the stuff to do this job at my shop in Brownsburg and would walk you through it after work hours if anyone wanted to tune up their Nano. The three parts I massage cost all of $30 at Brownell's so I was fearless going in. And anyone wanting to do frame modifications like stippling can replace theirs for $40 or less so have at it. Only the internal sheet metal chassis is serialized.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Yes you can shoot extended time with it. I had to go buy another because my wife liked it and wanted it for her EDC. It's small enough for her liking and the recoil is smooth. I'm waiting for the 8 rd mag extensions to come in that I ordered or the 8 rd mags. That will give it a perfect grip

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    Try some Talon grips on your Nano, they really improved the grip on mine (I bought the rubber one). As far as recoil comparison between the P 11, I think the Nano recoil is substantially less, but it could be perseption.

Top Bottom