• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    ........................the gun which is the weapon of choice for the U.S. Army.

Correction.....it is the weapon the Army chose to issue, not the weapon of choice for those to whom it may be issued. Those with a choice, tend to opt for something different. Ask any Special Forces/Seals/Special Ops guy what HE chooses and I bet you DON'T get the M9 as the answer.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Correction.....it is the weapon the Army chose to issue, not the weapon of choice for those to whom it may be issued. Those with a choice, tend to opt for something different. Ask any Special Forces/Seals/Special Ops guy what HE chooses and I bet you DON'T get the M9 as the answer.
    MPs were dying to dump the M9 for the M11(Sig 228) if they would have let us, and most of us fought kicking and screaming when they took our 1911's!

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I love them! I have a 92a1 and it's great. I have spent a lot of time on the Beretta forum learning about them. There are many variations and folks collect them all, like 1911 collectors. I just purchased two 1911s so I need to pass on the Beretta Inoxs and compacts I see :):

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Beretta's are nice, but it's an older design that doesn't really translate well to newer gun owners unless they were big Mel Gibson fans back in the 80's.
    If you come up against a good martial artist, they can pull the slide off you gun before you can shoot... :):

A friend used to have a polished Taurus PT92 and it was fun to shoot and very accurate.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Beretta's are nice, but it's an older design that doesn't really translate well to newer gun owners unless they were big Mel Gibson fans back in the 80's.
    If you come up against a good martial artist, they can pull the slide off you gun before you can shoot... :):

A friend used to have a polished Taurus PT92 and it was fun to shoot and very accurate.

I've seen that trick done, don't plan on anybody getting that close. Looks good though.:)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have a few 92FS pistols and a 92D.They all shoot very well and are great pistols.Parts are easy to find as are upgrades.I still kick myself for not buying M9 uppers a few years back when I saw complete ones at the 1500 for $200.00.I am seriously considering adding a 96 to the collection.

Last edited:

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy

how many INGO members are SF/SO/Seals, though? our needs are a bit different than theirs

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I remember how companies fought over that contract to replace the 1911. The thinking was that whatever pistol the army bought would sell like hot cakes on the civilian market. It doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Purely my opinion here...but it's a sub-par pistol in today's market.

DA is horrible, SA is mediocre.
    The slide-mounted safety is a poor design, as with any others of similar design.
    The grip ergonomics are poor.
    The factory sights are one step below weak.
    It also suffers a poor reputation for reliability from people who used it in the sandbox and never cleaned or oiled it. I don't hold that opinion.

:dunno:

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Purely my opinion here...but it's a sub-par pistol in today's market.

DA is horrible, SA is mediocre.
    The slide-mounted safety is a poor design, as with any others of similar design.
    The grip ergonomics are poor.
    The factory sights are one step below weak.
    It also suffers a poor reputation for reliability from people who used it in the sandbox and never cleaned or oiled it. I don't hold that opinion.

:dunno:
    It sure is accurate even though it has so much wrong with it.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have been reading a lot about semi-auto 9mm handguns to make comparisons. I find a lot of information about Glocks, CZ, Sigs, Springfields, etc. etc. but little about the gun which is the weapon of choice for the U.S. Army. Any serious comments on this?

It is too heavy, too bulky, and too expensive when compared to other guns in it's class. Beretta loves to price themselves out of the market. I know in the gun shop I work at, the only people who ever buy beretta's are those with a boner for beretta's, which it perfectly ok.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    It is too heavy, too bulky, and too expensive when compared to other guns in it's class. Beretta loves to price themselves out of the market. I know in the gun shop I work at, the only people who ever buy beretta's are those with a boner for beretta's, which it perfectly ok.

Honestly, imo, an m9/92 can be had at a great price in this current sellers market. I don't know what class you'd put it in, but I'd put it in with the CZ-75 (which is an all around better handgun imo, and it is actually cheaper), the standard bare bones p226 (MUCH more expensive), and a few others. Currently, I think the M9/92 is money well spent, if that's the kind of handgun you're looking for.

I would in no way, shape or form compare the 92 series to a glock or any other poly wonder gun. Glocks, FN's, and other poly wonders are great handguns, but IMO, a reliable FS combat handgun reins glory over anything poly.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've always kinda liked the M9...it shoots well, it's reliable, ergonomic, etc. The reason I never bought one of my own is that it is a heavy SOB for only 15 rounds of 9mm. That coupled with the relatively expensive price tag (new) of around $600, I see no reason to buy one. The other big drawback for me is being so accustomed to 1911 safties, and Beretta insisting on making their backwards, don't make it worth it for me to overcome it in training.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I carried an M9a1 as a duty weapon and had several 92fs variants. It was an on duty and off duty piece that I carried in very good leather... I had no problems concealing it.The action is buttery smooth and they are excellent shooters. My wife could outshoot me with the 92fs we had back in the day. I'd have no problem getting one today. Are they worth $550? I don't think so, but I wouldn't whine about having one. Beretta released a run of 92fs compacts that are available. I would be pumped to get one.

It's my choice as a "beginners pistol".

Top Bottom