• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ole hombre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    I have been reading a lot about semi-auto 9mm handguns to make comparisons. I find a lot of information about Glocks, CZ, Sigs, Springfields, etc. etc. but little about the gun which is the weapon of choice for the U.S. Army. Any serious comments on this?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have been reading a lot about semi-auto 9mm handguns to make comparisons. I find a lot of information about Glocks, CZ, Sigs, Springfields, etc. etc. but little about the gun which is the weapon of choice for the U.S. Army. Any serious comments on this?

I have an M9 (not the 92fs).. basically the same thing only the purchase is a tad different and the sights are 2 dot instead of 3 dot (easy to change). Its my EDC for my Armed job. I have about 2000+ rds through it. Not a single malfunction. Hell of a handgun and handles +P like a boss!

This is a handgun I will always have until the day I die and gets passed on to my kids, along with the p226. The two finest combat handguns made IMO.

Screenshot_2014_05_28_19_18_23_1.png

**Dont worry, its not loaded or chambered*** haha

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Try searching using it's twin sister's name, 92FS. For all intent and purpose they are the same pistol, just a few roll marks and although Beretta changed the shape of the 92FS lower, those changes have found their way into some M9s.

Personally I am a Series 92 collector, and have put many rounds through several of mine, one of which is part of the reason the military likes the M9 so much, the parts are not custom fit to one pistol. I have one super accurate shooter built up using unused parts from several donor pistols, many new parts and a couple of very used parts, all put together making one 100% reliable, very accurate even in my old hands, FrankenSeries 92.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    We have the railed version as a family gun, wife and 12 year old love it, and it always goes bang! Ours is the railed model with the removeable front sight. Just ordered a Wilson Combat Fiber optic for her!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Try searching using it's twin sister's name, 92FS. For all intent and purpose they are the same pistol, just a few roll marks and although Beretta changed the shape of the 92FS lower, those changes have found their way into some M9s.

Personally I am a Series 92 collector, and have put many rounds through several of mine, one of which is part of the reason the military likes the M9 so much, the parts are not custom fit to one pistol. I have one super accurate shooter built up using unused parts from several donor pistols, many new parts and a couple of very used parts, all put together making one 100% reliable, very accurate even in my old hands, FrankenSeries 92.

Nice! My next m9/92 will be a Franken FDE. SOoooo sexy!

In all honesty though, no one can go wrong with the beretta m9/92 series handguns. I laugh when I hear how much some people hate them. They must have had a real POS with 15krds through it in the army haha.
    I've heard some horror stories about the m4 and m16's as well.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    A 92FS was my first handgun. Got it around 1989 or so. Carried it for many years. The only reason I switched to a Glock 19 is weight. A lighter weight gun with the same 15 round mag. Now my son prefers to shoot my Beretta (he doesn't like recoil at all and won't even touch my Glock 20!)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I carried a Browning made in the 60s for years, great pistol but the old style fixed sights got harder to see as I got older and my accuracy suffered. I bought the M9 and a GI holster some years ago and it has accounted for both problem racoons and coyotes.:)

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    i love my 92fs. i was considering selling it - but then i took it to the range, and after the first 3 trigger pulls i decided that was a silly thing. it is now my EDC, and i dont see myself selling it.

you probably dont see a "whole lot" on the M9/92FS because (in my opinion) not much needs to be said about it :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A 92FS was my first handgun. Got it around 1989 or so. Carried it for many years. The only reason I switched to a Glock 19 is weight. A lighter weight gun with the same 15 round mag. Now my son prefers to shoot my Beretta (he doesn't like recoil at all and won't even touch my Glock 20!)

Mine is even heavier because my standard carry mag is an 18 round flush fit Mec-gar. 18+1 should be enough for just about any silliness these days. (I hope)

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have owned five 92FSs. The sexy lines bring me in each time, but the size for caliber and the long trigger pull has her tossed out of bed pretty quickly each time.

Good gun for the military, but if I am carrying a gun that size, I will take a 1911.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I own 2 92fs, both are great shooters. Had some feed problems when I first got them both but cleaned the feed ramp up and not a hiccup since. I had also been wondering about why the low prices on them lately. I saw one 92fs sell for 425 and have seen an inox somebody is asking 600 for that is not selling. If I had the cash to spend it would be in my safe right now.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I worked at the range, we always started new shooters with a .22 Ruger. When a shooter had a grasp of their foundational skills, the next pistol I would introduce would be the Berett 92fs. Easy recoil, easy to operate, smooth recoil control. It is pretty easy to shoot and to shoot well. The exposed hammer is easy to keep track of and the safety/decocker operated easily. The slide release is easy to reach even with small hands. The pistols in the rental case got LOTS of use/abuse. In a busy place, it got very little cleaning and care. The Beretta got rented out 5 plus times a day, week after week for years. The Beretta 92/fs/M9 is a darn good pistol, and that is coming from a man that has owned and shot 1911's for 40 plus years.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I think you don't see much on them because they aren't the latest technology. Polymer frame guns can be had that are much lighter, a bit cheaper and have a smaller grip. The 92fs/M9 is a BIG 9mm handgun and that's not for everyone. I own an M9 and love it, but I think they fall in the middle of "not the lastest and greatest" but don't have the cachet of Sig's or the collector interest of HiPowers.

Falconpuch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    NW Laf
    I bought a 92FS about 2 months ago and love the thing to death. It's my carrying weapon and I trust it with my life. I just do not like Polymer guns. Plus the gun is just down right sexy. Plus I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to have what EVERYone has the same.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I always wanted a Beretta 92fs and recently purchased my first one. Yes I agree it is vary large, heavy and I would never use it as my EDC but for range time it is one of my favorite pistols. A collection is not complete without one of these classic beauties.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I have a 92s that dates from 1984. It has the funky European mag release. Sure, the gun is big and heavy but it is put together beautifully and the bluing is very nice. It is just plain delightful to shoot: smooth, predictable and comfotable. I would not trade it for a new one. I also have an 84bb from the same year and that pistol is a piece of functional art. The 92 is not a substitute for a Glock, it is just a great 9mm pistol with lots of character. I would not mind having another.

Top Bottom