• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    Save your money on extra parts and buy ammo to shoot your Beretta 92FS.

Honestly, you probably won't wear any of the parts out and it maybe in better shape than you are.

I say after each or several range sessions, break it down and clean it. While cleaning take the time to inspect the springs and locking parts for fit and function. If you notice something out of the ordinary then replace it. Chances are you will be able to replace any part on that 92 within a week before you return to another range session.

Good luck and save your $ on extra parts you may NEVER need.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Save your money on extra parts and buy ammo to shoot your Beretta 92FS.

Honestly, you probably won't wear any of the parts out and it maybe in better shape than you are.

I say after each or several range sessions, break it down and clean it. While cleaning take the time to inspect the springs and locking parts for fit and function. If you notice something out of the ordinary then replace it. Chances are you will be able to replace any part on that 92 within a week before you return to another range session.

Good luck and save your $ on extra parts you may NEVER need.

Although I certainly don't shoot as much as some I have read 100's of posts about the Beretta 92, the locking blocks had a few problems years ago. There are members that have fired 10,000 - 12,000 rounds with merely nothing more than a firing pin kit. Most have done that merely.for piece pf mind. You don't stay in business since 1526 by making things that aren't reliable. Ease of disassembly, reliability, and affordability, I think they are one of the most under rated guns made.

The parts I have suggested can all be had for a couple bucks each. If people are going 10-12k w/o replacing trigger return springs and trigger bar springs, then they are on the verge of a failure. If only a range gun and you can wait a few days (to several weeks if backordered), then ok. If a competition gun and you want it replaced on the firing line, get the parts on hand. If you're staking your life on it, replace the parts I recommended on the schedule I recommended.

I agree the 92s are among the most reliable and durable on the market. But they have their maintenance items, too.

I competed w/ 92s for a decade in IDPA / USPSA. I've put between 150k to 200k through the platform. I've seen all the common issues and a few of the weird ones. I've worn out / broken wolff trigger spring units. I've busted the lugs off a barrel, I've had just about every spring break. I've busted locking blocks, extractors, firing pins, you name it. The parts I'm suggesting back in post # 5 (especially those I had in bold) are not expensive (probably less than 100-200 rounds of ammo), but are the most necessary maintenance/replacement items.

-rvb

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    The parts I have suggested can all be had for a couple bucks each. If people are going 10-12k w/o replacing trigger return springs and trigger bar springs, then they are on the verge of a failure. If only a range gun and you can wait a few days (to several weeks if backordered), then ok. If a competition gun and you want it replaced on the firing line, get the parts on hand. If you're staking your life on it, replace the parts I recommended on the schedule I recommended.

I agree the 92s are among the most reliable and durable on the market. But they have their maintenance items, too.

I competed w/ 92s for a decade in IDPA / USPSA. I've put between 150k to 200k through the platform. I've seen all the common issues and a few of the weird ones. I've worn out / broken wolff trigger spring units. I've busted the lugs off a barrel, I've had just about every spring break. I've busted locking blocks, extractors, firing pins, you name it. The parts I'm suggesting back in post # 5 (especially those I had in bold) are not expensive (probably less than 100-200 rounds of ammo), but are the most necessary maintenance/replacement items.

-rvb

I agree with what Ryan has posted. In my last job we tested a lot with the 92 for a military contract. I rebuilt ours every 10k rounds for reliability sake. I never had to worry about B/O's on parts as I had a hot line to a V.P. at for Beretta for all my parts needs. For my personal 92F the weirdest failure I saw was a bent recoil guide rod. I only fired standard pressure ammo through it so I was a bit taken aback. I replaced it with a Wolff Steel guide rod so I should never have to work about that particular part again.

Top Bottom