• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    What parts should I keep on hand for my Beretta? When should those parts be changed out? I'm talking in terms of rounds down the barrel. I know the recoil spring needs to be replaced every 4k rounds usually.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Beretta website says that a good rule of thumb as to when to replace the standard recoil spring is when it is barrel length or shorter. They should be longer than the barrel.

Berettaforum.net has a nice sticky in their handgun forum showing the different locking blocks. Those should be inspected regularly for cracks where the lugs meet the main body.

Other than that, Beretta 92s are very robust. One upgrade many people do is replace the FS hammer spring with one from the "D" model which makes the trigger pull a bit lighter. I have a D spring in a 92 that I built up from pieces from many donors and new parts, and there is a slight difference in trigger feel, but personally I think the standard is ok.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Beretta website says that a good rule of thumb as to when to replace the standard recoil spring is when it is barrel length or shorter. They should be longer than the barrel.

Berettaforum.net has a nice sticky in their handgun forum showing the different locking blocks. Those should be inspected regularly for cracks where the lugs meet the main body.

Other than that, Beretta 92s are very robust. One upgrade many people do is replace the FS hammer spring with one from the "D" model which makes the trigger pull a bit lighter. I have a D spring in a 92 that I built up from pieces from many donors and new parts, and there is a slight difference in trigger feel, but personally I think the standard is ok.

I shouldn't even post these threads and just ask you directly. :D I love the DA trigger. It's heavy but smooth. I can keep it on target pulling the trigger dry-firing it. Only have done it a few times though.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This is what happens when you let yourself go with a pistol that is pretty much the AK of the handgun world, where parts fit loose until needed to be tight, and the tolerances allow your crazy to come out"
    picture.php

This guy was built with donor parts from at least 8 other pistols, new parts from Beretta, CDNN, the slide a used M9 gotten on Gunbroker, and it is so accurate, my future son-in-law, an Air Force Flight Surgeon and an ace shot with an M9 ran two mags through it tearing a ragged hole in the center of the target 25 yards away, then proclaimed if boring!! I am happy just to be on paper at 25 yards!

Yep, those who know Berettas really like them, but like everything, you will find those who don't. More for us!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'll reference this figure:
    M92/M96 INOX | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

You want trigger return springs (part 26). The newer factory springs are more robust than earlier designs, so no need to get the wolff unit (which I am not a fan of anyway for various reasons). Replace them every 5-10k rounds if you want 100% confidence in your gun.

You want trigger bar springs (part 28). Replace ever 10k or so.

Get a spare hammer release lever (part 31). Those are pretty fragile, especially in later production models. I've broken two. When it goes you have to manually decock the gun, otherwise the gun still runs (except once when the broken piece jammed the gun up HARD, but it ran ok once cleared).

Always good to have a spare firing pin (part 12) and extractor (part 6) on hand for any gun, imo.

I would suggest a "D" model main spring (part 38). Unless you are shooting a lot of eastern block or south african NATO stuff, then stick w/ the stock FS spring (The primers in that stuff can be hard as hell). A D spring is perfectly fine for a carry gun if using decent ammo. Using Federal #100 primers, I competed with a 15lb 1911 mainspring, and it ran 100%, but I wouldn't recommend that for defensive use (actually, for a while I ran that spring w/ a couple coils cut off. It ran 100% and made the trigger light as hell, but I didn't like the lock time that resulted).

Locking blocks, especially when not fed a steady of diet of hot +p rounds, are quite robust these days. I kept a spare on hand when competing with a beretta, but I only ever broke one, and that was an old non-radiused style. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I put approx 100k on one locking block in one gun (block was still going when the barrel lugs finally let go), and ~60k on another (still going, just switched competition platforms). However, if yours is the old non-radiused style blocks, I'd go ahead and put a new production one in and just never worry about it again.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    oh, and a couple spare roll pins (part 63) for the right safety lever aren't a bad thing to have on hand. I've had them wonder out a disappear a couple times over the years (probably 'cause I kept reusing them after cleaning out the slide).

-rvb

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Ive had my 92G since 1990 and I have only had to replace the springs... its not shot much and carried even less these days but still one of my favorite pistols.

I was issued one in the Army during the transistion in the mid '80s, so that may be why I like them so much.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Awesome. Anything else? Figure I'll make a list and price out what I'll need.

EDIT: How much of what should I keep on hand from that list?

How fast do you want to have it back up and running if something breaks?
    None of it is expensive, I recommend having everything in my list on hand.

As far as how many? One of each part is fine (you can order another spare if you use your spare). For the springs, well, how much do you plan to shoot it? I bought them in 10 packs usually. If you're not going to shoot it a ton, 1 may be ok.

Like I said wth the locking block, I'd only buy a new one if your is of the old non-radiused style. In that case I'd go ahead and replace it. If it's a newer production pistol (last 10 yrs), I wouldn't even bother buying a spare.

-rvb

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    How fast do you want to have it back up and running if something breaks?
    None of it is expensive, I recommend having everything in my list on hand.

As far as how many? One of each part is fine (you can order another spare if you use your spare). For the springs, well, how much do you plan to shoot it? I bought them in 10 packs usually. If you're not going to shoot it a ton, 1 may be ok.

-rvb

Honestly I won't shoot much until I become of age but then I'll be shooting a lot hopefully. I'll do probably two of everything to be safe. You know, one is none and two is one.

EDIT: Brownell's doesn't have a trigger return spring and a "D" model mainspring it looks like. Where else can I find one?

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Don't let your age get in the way of enjoying yourself. I was lucky that ammo was inexpensive when my daughter was in her early teens because it wasn't out of the ordinary for her to go through a full case of ammo at one range trip. And that was only one caliber!!!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Don't let your age get in the way of enjoying yourself. I was lucky that ammo was inexpensive when my daughter was in her early teens because it wasn't out of the ordinary for her to go through a full case of ammo at one range trip. And that was only one caliber!!!

It's not age holding me back, it's money. :D

Any other part source I could look through for the trigger return spring and the upgraded mainspring? And what roll pins do I need? Better yet, do they sell a 92FS specific kit for roll pins/spare parts?

EDIT: Should the trigger bar (thing on the side of the frame that moves when the trigger is pulled) have much play AWAY from the frame? Noticed mine did but didn't force anything. Maybe I'm just paranoid being this is the nicest handgun we've had yet. :):

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's not age holding me back, it's money. :D

Any other part source I could look through for the trigger return spring and the upgraded mainspring? And what roll pins do I need? Better yet, do they sell a 92FS specific kit for roll pins/spare parts?

EDIT: Should the trigger bar (thing on the side of the frame that moves when the trigger is pulled) have much play AWAY from the frame? Noticed mine did but didn't force anything. Maybe I'm just paranoid being this is the nicest handgun we've had yet. :):

used to be able to go through berettausa.com. Not sure if all their parts are through brownells or not now...

-rvb

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Not to threadjack here... but I assume the 92FS is a pretty reliable piece? I've shot one and enjoyed it, and now interested in picking one up. Won't be a carry piece, just for the range. Any thoughts appreciated.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The 92FS is a very reliable firearm, but like anything man made, you need to take care of it, and inspect it after each use just to be safe.

HeavyRevy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Although I certainly don't shoot as much as some I have read 100's of posts about the Beretta 92, the locking blocks had a few problems years ago. There are members that have fired 10,000 - 12,000 rounds with merely nothing more than a firing pin kit. Most have done that merely.for piece pf mind. You don't stay in business since 1526 by making things that aren't reliable. Ease of disassembly, reliability, and affordability, I think they are one of the most under rated guns made.

Top Bottom