• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    I hope they will all be there. Behney seems like a good candidate until you see how rude and under informed he is on the issues. I think Stutzman and Hostetler are much better choices.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Those two seem better fitted but in Warsaw they both admitted they wouldn't read the bills they were voting on.

I know that's how it works, but that's what needs to change. So, I think Behney is a better candidate.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    Those two seem better fitted but in Warsaw they both admitted they wouldn't read the bills they were voting on.

I know that's how it works, but that's what needs to change. So, I think Behney is a better candidate.

Behney is polling in last place for the reasons mentioned above. It's time for him to drop out.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, since some of you want to go into candidate philosophies...

Bates gets by simply by quoting Reagan, and blaming Obama. After being on the campaign trail for 6 month, I can honestly say that he says nothing in prettier language than any other candidate.

I have philosophical issues with Hostettler. Not only did he admit to not reading the bills when he was in office - he blamed the volume of bills - which shows that he does not understand that the number of bills, and their length are the problem in DC. We have to real in the excesses.

Issue #2 with Hostettler is that he not only supports the Patriot Act, he is proud that he served on the sub-committee that wrote it. The only way that act could be considered Constitutional is by finding progressive case law that redefines the 4th Amendment.

Mister Bates' answer to the Patriot Act is that it's OK when his guy is Prez, but in Obama's hands it's dangerous... so we have to replace Obama.

As for Stutzman: I disagree with him on his stance on the enumerated powers act. Rather than enact a law that all bills have to be written to document which enumerated power of Congress under the Constitution the potential law is based on-- Mr. S wants each rep and senator to act on their own judgment as to what they believe is constitutional. HR3590 - I rest my case on that one. It didn't work out so well for the Constitution.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If elected, Behney wouldn't read the bills either, that's why you have staff, to read the bills. So, Behney if willing to lie to get elected, and Hostettler and Stutzman aren't, so that makes Behney the better candidate. Please pinch me now, this can't be real. People can not be this blind. People can not love to be lied to this much. It's simply not possible, is it?

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If elected, Behney wouldn't read the bills either, that's why you have staff, to read the bills. So, Behney if willing to lie to get elected, and Hostettler and Stutzman aren't, so that makes Behney the better candidate. Please pinch me now, this can't be real. People can not be this blind. People can not love to be lied to this much. It's simply not possible, is it?

Actually, Behney read HR3590. I spent three days printing it. And he had to get legal help to track down that rabbit trails contained within it.

IIRC: Even Dan coats said in Warsaw that he'd read the bills he votes yes on.

HR 3590: THAT is the problem. Too many bills that are too long and too complex due to dealing with BS amendments (like student loans in the health $care bill) and multiple unrelated topics in the bills.

Solutions: #1 Cut down on the quantity of bills. Congress does it's best work when it's on recess. Every bill that adds to federal power is just one more link in the chain that takes away our liberty.

#2 Cut down on the number of page: eg: limit the bills to items on a single topic (Student Loan take over in the Health $care bill, anyone???) Eliminate the practice of earmarks. Shift the power back to the states.

#3 Read the bill yourself MR Congressman. We send you to vote on them. If you don't have time to read them... there are too many. If the bills are too long and too complex for you to read, you don't need to pass it.

If my representatives can't at least take a stab at reading every bill they vote YES on (final passage) then why the heck are we paying them, and giving them those cushy offices, all the perks, and the lobbying money when they leave office?

Are they too good to read they bills they vote on? I thought most of them were attorneys. Shouldn't they know how to read that legalese?

Do you trust Pelosi/Reid to not snooker you and sneak something in on you? Read the darn bills, or vote NO on them until you can.

Don Bates promised the impossible tonight: if elected, all bills would be written so a fifth grader could understand them. I don't expect that. We're amending our legal code with each and every bill. But - the above would go a long way to restoring our liberties.

As I said before... he's "slick" similar to Slick Willie from the 90s.

We keep sending "slick" or those who just want to go play the games, and have their staff do all the work while they make their fundraising calls.

I'd prefer a non-politician who isn't going to screw us over to keep his/her cushy job at the expense of our liberty.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    No, reading the bills is not their job, it is the staff's job. The member's job is to vote based on all the information he's given. Anyone who says they will read every bill is either an idiot or liar, and will be an ineffective legislator. Spending all one's time reading bills will allow those who aren't doing so to spend their time building alliances and solidifying support and talking to constituents. The readers will be left in the dust every time. The only lawyer in the race is Coats as far as I know. I just looked up his name on the roll of attorneys and it shows him suspended since 2003. A suspension is for misconduct, which could be as minor as not paying bar fees, but it does show a disregard of his duties imposed by law.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A vote for Benhey is a vote for Dan Coats because Benhey voters take votes away from Hostettler and Hostettler is the ONLY candidate who can stop Coats. If anyone wants Coats in Wasington all they have to do is vote for Benhey, Bates or Stutzman. All 3 of them are taking votes from Hostettler because all are conservatives and conservative voters are splitting their votes so that big government Dan Coats will win by default.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    #3 Read the bill yourself MR Congressman. We send you to vote on them. If you don't have time to read them... there are too many. If the bills are too long and too complex for you to read, you don't need to pass it.

I think that is exactly what Behney was getting at. If he can't read it there is no point in voting for it. He is at least wanting to take a step to get the bills at least readable for everyone W/OUT having to have a lawyer go through it.

As for Hostettler all he seemed to be to me was a talking resume, I dotn care what he did in 1994 I want to know what his plans are NOW. So personally to me a vote for him is a vote for more of the same.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm just going to dispense with the BS and vote for Wile E. Coyote. If a non-politician plumber turned freedom activist can't do it, then we sure as well won't find any other non-politician type to do the job. We're screwed no matter how one votes.

This is why people stay home.

I welcome someone to cheer me up and convince me that there is any hope at all.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I think that is exactly what Behney was getting at. If he can't read it there is no point in voting for it. He is at least wanting to take a step to get the bills at least readable for everyone W/OUT having to have a lawyer go through it.

As for Hostettler all he seemed to be to me was a talking resume, I dotn care what he did in 1994 I want to know what his plans are NOW. So personally to me a vote for him is a vote for more of the same.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if you have a proven record of voting for gun rights and voting down pork. Let's rather have someone that lied to us to get elected and we don't know how or what they would do.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Yeah, it doesn't matter if you have a proven record of voting for gun rights and voting down pork. Let's rather have someone that lied to us to get elected and we don't know how or what they would do.

All I was saying was when I seen him he gave no suggestions or ideas on how to get the bloated government under control. He seemed to have not much of a gameplan.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    All I was saying was when I seen him he gave no suggestions or ideas on how to get the bloated government under control. He seemed to have not much of a gameplan.

Well realize what you see in a public forum like that is just a very thin slice of what the man really is.

However you may want to dig a bit deeper and look at his voting record, that is the proof that shows that Hostettler is an anti-Washington/anti-establishment politician who has pissed off the GOP establishment on many occasions. He's also solidly pro-gun and solidly pro-states rights. Its all in his voting record.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Well realize what you see in a public forum like that is just a very thin slice of what the man really is.

However you may want to dig a bit deeper and look at his voting record, that is the proof that shows that Hostettler is an anti-Washington/anti-establishment politician who has pissed off the GOP establishment on many occasions. He's also solidly pro-gun and solidly pro-states rights. Its all in his voting record.

Well put I think that is positive advice to give to anyone undecided like myself. I am still undecided so I am looking a 3 and Coats was never on my list.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well put I think that is positive advice to give to anyone undecided like myself. I am still undecided so I am looking a 3 and Coats was never on my list.

OK then consider some realities.

19% are undecided. If all 19% voted for Benhey he would still come in 3rd place behind Coats and Hostettler.

Coats right now is in first place. Hostettler is running close behind but trailing by 3 points. Stutzman is in 3rd place but only has 18% of the votes in the polling data.

Another reality is that Coats has the best name recognition around the state. That works in his favor.

Another reality is that conservatives from the Tea Party groups seem to have split their support and are somewhat regional. With the groups spreading their support to different candidates we are stuck with a splintered vote. That also favors Dan Coats because he is not a conservative.

The only realistic hope for keeping Coats out of Washington is for undecideds to support Hostettler, or better yet for one of the minor candidates to drop out and endorse Hostettler since Hostettler is close enough to Coats to pass him and win the election.

woodchuck4950

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Danville, IN

This is what I recall about Hostettler. Media hated him, so he can't be all bad! :D My only concern about him is he is a "Washington Insider", although less objectionable than lobbyist Coats.

Attended a tea party forum hosting the 4th District congressional candidates this past weekend. For fun, during the meet & greet, I asked each candidate I spoke with who they planned to vote for in the Senate race. Thought their answers might be a little revealing. Interestingly, the GOP insider Coats was not being supported by any who I spoke with. Several supported Stutzman or Hostettler. Coats or Behney were never mentioned.

Screw the polls ... do your homework ... pray for guidance ... vote your conscience and let the chips fall where they may. We still have a few weeks to make up our minds.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis

He is also solidly Patriot Act as one of it's authors.

Think of it this way, if he weren't in the race drawing Tea Party votes away from Behney and Stutzman, we'd have a more grassroots candidate ready & able to take on Coats.

So now, we have the GOP fly in candidate, vs the guy who lost to Brad Elsworth once before dominating the poll of previous GOP voters.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK then consider some realities.

19% are undecided. If all 19% voted for Benhey he would still come in 3rd place behind Coats and Hostettler.

Coats right now is in first place. Hostettler is running close behind but trailing by 3 points. Stutzman is in 3rd place but only has 18% of the votes in the polling data.

Another reality is that Coats has the best name recognition around the state. That works in his favor.

Another reality is that conservatives from the Tea Party groups seem to have split their support and are somewhat regional. With the groups spreading their support to different candidates we are stuck with a splintered vote. That also favors Dan Coats because he is not a conservative.

The only realistic hope for keeping Coats out of Washington is for undecideds to support Hostettler, or better yet for one of the minor candidates to drop out and endorse Hostettler since Hostettler is close enough to Coats to pass him and win the election.

There are a few problems with your assessment.

The Tea Party in Indiana is mostly GOP base. BUT it is composed also of Libertarians, Independents and discontented democrats.

Also, any internal polling by GOPers is going to concentrate on Strong to Moderate Republican likely voters. At most, IMO, this poll was probably conducted on 1000 or less voters that fit those criteria.

How many Tea Partiers were actually polled in that one?

Indiana has an open primary.How many Tea Partiers will vote? and how many of those Tea Partiers are going to be like me - and show up and independents in the voter rolls? I vote some Dem, and some GOP - when I do bother to vote in the primary (living in Buyer's district - and never having a voice in the GOP Presidential primaries soured me on primary voting real fast).

The only poll that matters is the one on May 4th. Will the grassroots turn out, or will party faithful turn out in greater numbers?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've seen Behney touting himself as a Navy veteran. I was told tonight that he was discharged under less than honorable conditions. Can you elaborate on that photoshooter? I was rather surprised by it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom