• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I've noticed this guy at 37 and 465 on the south side for a few weeks.
    leglessmanbeggingforgas.jpg

Today he maxed out his props for handouts. Crutches, missing a leg ( last time he had his fake leg showing) and now he was begging for gas at the corner. I'm not sure how people at the corner will fill up his gas.

He tries real hard, but I still don't give to the homeless at street corners. I've made numerous offers to buy them a meal, but 100% of the time they want cash. I've even had a guy refuse water on a hot day.

What new marketing gimmicks have you noticed the homeless using?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wow, that guy gets around! I've been accosted by him in two different parking lots on opposite sides of the city on the north side.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've noticed this guy at 37 and 465 on the south side for a few weeks.
    leglessmanbeggingforgas.jpg

Today he maxed out his props for handouts. Crutches, missing a leg ( last time he had his fake leg showing) and now he was begging for gas at the corner. I'm not sure how people at the corner will fill up his gas.

He tries real hard, but I still don't give to the homeless at street corners. I've made numerous offers to buy them a meal, but 100% of the time they want cash. I've even had a guy refuse water on a hot day.

What new marketing gimmicks have you noticed the homeless using?
    This guy is the best I've seen. I don't give them cash either. I told a guy He could mow my yard and received the evil eye. Other times, I've given grocery store gift cards.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've ran into a few while walking around Indy that used fecal matter and urine as props. I like making them do push ups for their alcohol money. In Chicago we use to make them tell jokes and if they were funny they'd get a couple bucks for booze. Doesn't matter if I keep it or give it to a homeless person, it is most likely being spent on booze so I might as well do a good deed sometimes.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I've ran into a few while walking around Indy that used fecal matter and urine as props. I like making them do push ups for their alcohol money. In Chicago we use to make them tell jokes and if they were funny they'd get a couple bucks for booze. Doesn't matter if I keep it or give it to a homeless person, it is most likely being spent on booze so I might as well do a good deed sometimes.

wow thats ****ed up even by my standards. but I still laughed :laugh:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I remember working in campus ministry years ago we'd get people in off the street on a very regular basis. They'd always want money (some, to the exact amount of a pack of cigarettes ...which was somewhat ironic/funny while they had an oxygen tank wheeling around with them). We never turned them away ...always offered food, clothing, a ride to a shelter, etc. The vast majority walked away grumbling how we didn't give them cash. :dunno:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That guy and a couple of his friends have been working that corner for a LONG TIME! There is a woman and and a younger chick and one more guy I believe. The woman used to stand out there with a cold drink from a cooler and smoking a cigarette begging. While some people are really in need I think most anymore are just lazy and want free hand outs. :twocents:

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    You still drive through that intersection? Ever since I heard the news blurb about upcoming construction I've avoided it like the plague. It was bad enough without the barrels

I only drove that way for a few months but I saw a few people asking for hand outs. I was going to throw away some unopened deodorant, my clean old socks (needed some more and those kind weren't for sale anymore. I like all mine to match) and a few old shirts. Instead I put them in the car to give to the next homeless person I saw. Took a few days and I saw one at the McD just south of the OP's picture. She seemed grateful and took everything.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    my take on it is, if you are fit enough to stand out in the hot sun or rain or snow for a day begging for change then you are fit enough to be a walmart greeter or work in the back of a fast food store. both require no skill or smarts, just a physical presence and a pulse. but im sure begging pays more. wish someone would open their car door while driving by and save the air these low lifes suck from the planet

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You still drive through that intersection? Ever since I heard the news blurb about upcoming construction I've avoided it like the plague. It was bad enough without the barrels

I only drove that way for a few months but I saw a few people asking for hand outs. I was going to throw away some unopened deodorant, my clean old socks (needed some more and those kind weren't for sale anymore. I like all mine to match) and a few old shirts. Instead I put them in the car to give to the next homeless person I saw. Took a few days and I saw one at the McD just south of the OP's picture. She seemed grateful and took everything.

I went thru there Monday around 4:30 p.m. and it was like a ghosttown. I came in from the east on 465 and exited south with no problems. I had planned on going down to Mann rd but saw the lack of traffic and took 37 instead. Best trip thru that intersection ever!

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I keep McDonalds applications in the jeep and hand them out, don't know why but no one ever takes them.:dunno::):

I like this idea!! I may have to get some Wal Mart applications for the guys who stand at Emerson & I465 exit ( Which happens to have a Wal Mart about a block away )

Pretty much my reaction. I mean if it's going to get spent on booze by one of us, let it be the one with the best jokes!~!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    There is an organized group in Indy, and other places as well I suspect, that do this. They've mapped out territories just like hookers and street corners. There is one or two that have vans and they shuttle the 'beggers' to the spots, drop them off with a cooler (usually hidden from view) and their cardboard for their 'shift'. The van drivers get 'taxi' fees from the beggers.

This is why I will never, ever give any of them anything by the ole' stinkeye. It's bad enough that we have millions in this country sucking on the govt teat. These people are probably doing that as well, and not reporting their outside income to boot.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    this topic was on manswers on spike a long time ago. they said some people make upwards of $100,000 from begging, and it's tax free. they are good actors I'll give them that.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    n Chicago we use to make them tell jokes and if they were funny they'd get a couple bucks for booze.

Wow, now that IS funny. Same thing happened to us in Chicago, but it would be people begging us to let them tell us a joke and they only get paid if we really laugh hard!

Reminds me of a sketch skit we wrote. Two beggars, one with a sign that says "homesless jobless, 3 kids, anything helps." Another with a sign that says "I won't lie, it's for beer". Everyone gives their money to beggar number two. Next day, beggar number one's sign says "I won't like it's for crack cocaine". Everyone gives him the money instead of the beer guy. He then takes the money and goes and buys milk and bread for his children. :)::)::)::)::)::):

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg

/\ This! Just how far from the pack have you strayed if Ranger thinks you're nuts?? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ETA; I laughed as well....that's some funny stuff right there!

Top Bottom