• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well today is the day that I become a homeowner for the first time. I am extremely excited to begin this new adventure and the things it will bring. I found the house by a realitor from Ingo. He has been very helpful and if anyone looking to buy in the Crawfordsville or Lafayette area I would recommend him. We will be doing some work to the kitchen right away and some painting of course.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good luck!

I remember becoming a homeowner 15 years ago, how we were going to live there 5 or 6 years, keep it nice and fix up some things then upgrade.....and 15 years on, I'm still in my "starter" home. But now, I'm actually looking for another house....but not in a hurry. I'm not going to miss the "starter home" payments.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Congratultions! 22 years in here. It will dawn on you quickly that if something breaks, there's no landlord to call, which I'm sure you know intellectually, but it'll really sink in viscerally, especially if you're not really that good at stuff :spend:

Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette
    Just keep in mind: One 20 minute project will end up taking 4 hours and at least 2 trips to the hardware store! Congratulations!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just keep in mind: One 20 minute project will end up taking 4 hours and at least 2 trips to the hardware store! Congratulations!

I had a weekend bathroom remodel that ran 14 weeks...then 2 more a year later because I wanted additional things done.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Congratultions! 22 years in here. It will dawn on you quickly that if something breaks, there's no landlord to call, which I'm sure you know intellectually, but it'll really sink in viscerally, especially if you're not really that good at stuff :spend:

Luckily I am pretty handy with most things. I already keep a cushion in my account to for unexpected things but plan or impulse good deal buys but plan to increase the amount. I got a decent payment since interest rates are still pretty low. I'm not paying much more a month than I am in rent and that includes insurance and taxes.

We are doing a small kitchen remodel tomorrow just adding some cabinets to increase storage, new countwe tops, sink and faucet, new cabinet door on existing cabinets to matcheck the new ones, and an over the range microwave. Won't get them all refinished tomorrow but should be able to get everything installed and functional.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    My wife bought our "starter home" back in August. She moved in in Sept. and I moved in officially the day we got married in Feb. So far, we have changed very little. It needed no painting and everything we have done so far beside the last repair, has been wanting to replace or add it. Her parents paid for a new dishwasher (we didn't ask). We did have to replace the hot water heater, we were prepared to pay for it, but her parents did. We did pay for a 10x12 storage shed to be built, but that has been it so far. Our house is only 13 years old though in a nice neighborhood. We did look at older homes, but this house was on the market for four days when she put in the offer.

This will be our place for 10-20 years until we potentially switch homes with her parents (3 acres versus our current .2 acres, plenty of garage space versus just enough for two cars, in the county versus inside city limits).

Bubba42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Peru
    Congratulations on the home! But I have to agree with Dudley, all the 20 min. jobs I started always took at least 4 hours.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Congrats, but be prepared for stuff like this.

I had a weekend bathroom remodel that ran 14 weeks...then 2 more a year later because I wanted additional things done.

Spent four (4) days in a hotel downtown Lafayette after having the 60A service upgraded to 225A. Inspector no showed on Friday and Monday was a holiday.

Or, having sidewalks and curbs re-done. Guy who was to pour the concrete was arrested (HTV) on way to my house. Sidewalks were sat there all framed up for weeks. All the Beatrices, Gertrudes and Marthas that walk their dogs in my neighborhood routinely called the Mayor.

ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    Wife and i have been looking at stuff around lafayette for a while but haven't found much. Who was the realtor if i can ask? you can pm if you want to.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area

Congratulations on the home! But I have to agree with Dudley, all the 20 min. jobs I started always took at least 4 hours.

I am already about to experience the multi trips to the hardware store doing this kitchen. Won't be much different than working on cars, almost always 2 trips to the parts store.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The best feeling is when it's paid for! No house payments since 98. Pay it off fast is all I can say.

Agree. Run the numbers on a mortgage calc and know what your paying. I refied to 15, 5 years ago on the house, and went from a 30 to a 10 on the wife's farm. The farm went from almost 200,000 in interest to around 30,000 after all is said and done. People like the write-off on the interest, but I see it as trading a dollar for much less. I'm aiming for free and clear.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Have you had your first "why didn't the inspector find that?!" Tirade yet? :):

Funny you mention that. In discussing looking for a new abode, I casually mentioned that I didn't think we needed to hire an inspector....as I know what to look for.

My wife gave me one of those looks.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Rule #2--Prepare for things to cost more than you thought, so don't make any unnecessary purchases until you find out if you will be able to handle it. When I bought my first house, I bought brand new bedroom, living room, and kitchen furniture and did not budget for a cold snap and utility increase that more than doubled my gas bill. I could only pay half of my gas and electric all winter, and it took me a year to catch up. If I had it to do again, I would have used furniture from Craigslist or Goodwill until I was on firm financial footing.

Top Bottom