• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Was out scouting today and found these on a small stream that drains into the Kankakee:

The water level is about 18" higher above the dam, and as a result the stream is several feet wider. Its hard to see in the pic, but the dam was built on an existing fallen tree which has been supplemented with debris, and is braced on the down stream side by several 1" - 3" saplings which have been jammed into the mud. Many of the larger limbs are visibly chewed from the bank.

The area is think with stumps of all sizes which have been chewed and felled - the above is the largest one that I found, and was somewhere between 6" and 8" at the base of the trunk; definitely a sizable tree for a rodent.

I didn't see any beaver, but the ground around many of the larger trees and stumps showed fresh chips, so the activity is very recent. Does anybody still hunt or trap beaver?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know a guy who traps them... I don't hunt them per say, but I sure do shoot a lot of them every year!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    They are taking 24" trees down by one of the wastewater plants I manage. They chew as far as they feel comfortable and let the wind do the rest. They are also stripping the small trees and brush. One of my guys called me in all freaked out telling me someone was in there taking a hatchet to our trees! Darn city kid!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had some at bud's place. They ringed some big trees so he called the DNR. We popped a few and called per the requirement.
    After a few days of calling kills in the DNR said just shoot 'em and quit calling, they knew they were a problem in that region.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw "beaver activity" and just had to come look... Good luck getting rid of your river rats.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    post-242731-0-65428100-1399580609.jpg

Jokes....so many jokes....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you do get one, they are great to munch on. Man, I could eat one after another. Just like warm apple pie.

I'm sure some others could post some good recipes but I like mine fairly rare.......kinda like sushi.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    There used to be a old women that lived south of town that made a beaver and muskrat stew that was real good eating. Had several people try it and loved it until they found out what it was she called it Wabash stew

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    About every other year we get some beavers move into one of our ponds and try to dam up our outflow. One year it got really out of hand: They dammed up the outflow and raised the pond level a couple feet and the water started flowing off the side around the dike through the emergency outflow. So the bastards cut down a few trees and dammed that up too raising it another couple feet. I ws pretty impressed, lol. Then we tore it out and had them trapped out of there.

Didn't see any this year so come spring time I'm sure itll be time to go to war with them again.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I saw a post about a Cougar sighting and then the one below it said something about Beaver activity and for a minute I thought I was on the wrong website.:naughty:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man... I was not trying to be dirty at all and we've got printcraft fainting and all! While some of the responses were good, mine was in innocence!

When I say I don't hunt them but shoot a lot of them every year I meant just that... I shoot them when out duck hunting and they are close enough for the shotgun to get a good shot on their head. The most effective thing I've found is shooting them with a rifle (remember rounds will/can ricochet/bounce or fly in crazy directions when shot at the water). If I am fishing a pond or something that I know has a beaver on it I'll just take the rifle along and when I see it I'll lay it to rest.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom