• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think I might have judged that Gerber a little to harshly based solely on my dislike of Bear Grylls, after really taking a serious look at the design I have rethought my earlier "absolutely no interest in it" comment.

I think I might even pick one up if I can get one cheap enough for some side-by-side field testing to see how well it would stack up, if I do I'll post the results, heck I'll even take pictures & maybe even take some video.

I am not a knife expert or anything, I am just an end user who uses knives on a regular basis, but I can do a "man on the street" well I guess it would be more like a "man in the woods" sort of review.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So I gather from all the posts here this is not a good thread to post a link to the Bear Grylls fan club? :dunno:

This is the original knife you guys are talking about correct?

BearGryllsoriginalknife.jpg

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I have to put myself in the catagory of - very limited income - too old (71) for a knife fight (or any other kind) - only wanting to do camp chores while I wait to be rescued - lack of knowledge about good blades because I've never had over $40 to buy a knife.

Yep, I'd buy one if I saved up the money.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I bought a Gerber LMF II from Knife Lady last year. This looks just like it with a different handle. Even if its not the same steel that the LMF II uses, its still a steal at that price. But damn that sheath looks like a POS. +1 to Gerber on what I bet is a great knife, -1 Gerber for having such a crappy sheath. Is Kydex just to much to ask for? I wonder if it will fit in my LMF II sheath.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If I'm going to place a value on my life in a survival situation, I know that knife won't come with me. I'd carry a Busse, or at least a Swamp Rat or a Scrapyard knife. Just saying.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    richard r the original knife no longer has his name on it. they had some type of falling out and are no longer associated. the original is also super super expensive (better out there for the money) and the wait is still ridiculous to say the least.

the gerber knife is a slick idea with all the options built into it like that and it will attract a lot of preppers and survivalist people who don't know a lot about knifes and are looking for that do it all blade.

believe it or not there are actually people out in the world who aren't knife people (lmao i didn't know this until i started working with regular people, i mean who doesn't always have a decent pocket knife on them geesh). and those type of people will love the options of this knife and the knife itself because they don't care about the steel and how well it holds a edge ect

So why don't some of you experts evaluate the knife then for us regular people like I asked. Give me the low down on why the steel isn't good..what type of steel i should look for and so on. I admitted I didn't know much about knives and was interested in some help and not a slap in the face.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Well... all I can find is "High Carbon Stainless Steel" which I am going to take means 420HC which is what the LMF II uses. While 420 HC is not a bad steel it is one that is very dependent on the heat treat to make it a good blade. Hopefully someone will do some cutting tests for you guys.

Personally I would not buy this knife, I have very little respect for Mr. Grylls and have no desire to make him money...if I want a Gerber I'll buy the LMF.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    If I'm going to place a value on my life in a survival situation, I know that knife won't come with me. I'd carry a Busse, or at least a Swamp Rat or a Scrapyard knife. Just saying.

Ok if I pick up one of these Gerbers & I'll do a side-by-side comparison review with my Scrapyard Scrapper 5.

Quick question before for everyone before I start shopping around for a decent price on one of these Gerbers, should I re-profile & sharpen the knife (like I would normally do when I buy a new knife) prior to the comparison or should I leave the factory grind & edge alone on it?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    So why don't some of you experts evaluate the knife then for us regular people like I asked. Give me the low down on why the steel isn't good..what type of steel i should look for and so on. I admitted I didn't know much about knives and was interested in some help and not a slap in the face.

i sent you a pm to but am gonna post here now to. i didn't slap you in the face at all believe me. i wasn't being rude or a a$$ at all. i stated that the knife was a slick idea and had a lot of cool features that people who aren't knife people will like because then they don't have to buy a bunch of other stuff. i can't really tell you anything about the knife because there isn't much info on it except high carbon stainless steel. i can't tell you anything about that steel cause it could be any number of steels. i don't know how well it will hold a edge or preform cause again that would depend on the steel and heat treat...other than that it could be a alright knife i don't know cause i don't have one.

there are a lot of knives out there and in order to recommend one you would have to give more details as to what your looking for, what your going to use it for, how often you will use it ect. and of coarse how much your wanting to spend

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just the hammer pommel makes the thing very camp site friendly IMHO, everything else is just meh.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Looks okay, but does remind me of an LMF. Think I will pass for now, but I am interested in seeing a little field testing done if someone buys one. Let us know.

Top Bottom