• Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Be Careful Disarming America

To the President, other lawmakers and The Powers That Be (TPTB):

The horrible Connecticut school shooting was only a few days ago; the images, the news reports, the revealed “facts”, are still fresh in our minds. People are understandably upset and angry. Some are calling on DC to ban ALL guns…period. Others say “Ban assault weapons”. Some even want all gun owners to turn their weapons in to the Government.

All of these ideas, and many others not expressed here, are “knee-jerk” reactions. Rash decisions made in the heat of the moment seldom turn out well. A wrong idea or action put into effect now, could come back to haunt us a few months or years down the road.

Our Government should not—no—CANNOT punish all law abiding gun owners for what a few sick people have done. This is “punish the masses for the actions of the few”, something many of us remember from school when the whole class got in trouble for one student disrupting the class. It wasn’t fair then, and isn’t fair now to the millions of responsible gun owners in America.

A total ban on guns, including sales, purchase, ownership and use, would be the worst thing to happen in this country. In this event, after all the legal (formerly) gun owners turned in their firearms, what would “The Powers That Be” do about getting rid of all the illegal guns still on the streets? Do our politicians really believe if they ban all guns, the crooks, thugs, gangstas, and other ne’er-do-wells are going to be nice and follow suit?

These hoods would then have free reign to attack anybody they want. It would be ‘open season’ on US citizens. The BGs could come into your house and throw you out, or worse, and take possessions of your belongings. You might be the victim of a carjacking if someone wanted it for themselves. By not being able to protect ourselves with a firearm, we might as well wear a target on our backs.

With all this mayhem going on, how long do you think it will take the police to show up to help you? Who would come to your aid if you are attacked? Not the police--they’re too busy with too many crimes happening. Not your neighbor--he’s been disarmed just like you, Bud.

I also firmly believe an unarmed country is ripe for an attempted takeover or an invasion. It could be external, but more likely it would be an internal attack. With our military forces scattered around the globe, they would be unable to help. The active duty military stationed stateside and National Guard would be spread too thin to control the situation. The police? Like mentioned above, they will be too busy to even answer the phone when you call in for help.

While I am not sure about this, there has been talk for some time about foreign “sleeper cells” in America. If these do actually exist, and we as a Nation are disarmed, who’s to say they could launch an attack from inside our borders? And again, could our
    US-based military protect us against such attacks? Could our police departments defend our cities and towns?

Even if these events never occur, look at what else would happen in the shooting sports enjoyed by so many people. No more trap, skeet, sporting clays, target shooting. No more Olympic competition. No more CMP matches. No more local turkey shoots. No more hunting.

This phrase has been overused to the point where it has lost its impact: If guns are banned only the criminals will have guns. Everyone else will be sitting ducks.

Let us hope the politicians and law-makers remember that for every murder with a gun there are millions of law-abiding gun owners that are responsible and practice gun safety. Let us hope the law-makers remember the shooters in Connecticut, Oregon and Columbine obtained their guns illegally. Let us hope TPTB are not successful in adding more restrictions to gun ownership. Let us hope TPTB are not successful in doing away with the Second Amendment, for if this should happen, what special interest group would then go after the First or the Fourth amendments?

Please keep in mind, what you have just read is only my opinion, and is neither right nor wrong. The reader can either agree or disagree, but should not attack me for expressing my opinion.

Redtbird
    (Gerri)

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    I could not agree with you more,and must say that was a very good read!I do think most of TPTB know what you are talking about,it's about control of the mass!:yesway:

Top Bottom