• M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The comment period runs until 16MAR2015

From page 15 of the ATF document:

"ATF is specifically soliciting comments on how it can best implement withdrawal of this exemption while minimizing disruption to the ammunition and firearm industry and maximizing officer safety."

The comments are ONLY for helping them to implement this.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    We can still talk to Congress.
    While ATF receives direction from the President, them being in the executive branch, they receive their funding from Congress.

So why don't the Repubs defund all out-of-control administrative agencies? They have the power to do that, whatever the president says to the contrary... Unless they just want to roll over and play dead for the next two years.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So why don't the Repubs defund all out-of-control administrative agencies? They have the power to do that, whatever the president says to the contrary... Unless they just want to roll over and play dead for the next two years.

They have been known to screw things up before.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I hate this attitude people get, that "it doesn't effect me, so, meh. The government can infringe on everyone but me." I think m855 is crap, Ive used enough in the Army, so it doesn't have a novelty to me, and the studies have born out it doesn't defeat barriers all that well, and it has lousy terminal ballistics. But if the BATFE decided to ban low brass 2 3/4 12 ga shells, would it be ok if I didn't care? I don't shoot trap or skeet, and I don't do any bird hunting. So it doesn't effect me. The point is, these pricks arbitrarily run rough shod over our sport, just to keep themselves awake after lunch on a Tuesday. In no universe am I ok with that, even though I could care less about m855.

Like late to the party, but this times a million.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I hate this attitude people get, that "it doesn't effect me, so, meh. The government can infringe on everyone but me." I think m855 is crap, Ive used enough in the Army, so it doesn't have a novelty to me, and the studies have born out it doesn't defeat barriers all that well, and it has lousy terminal ballistics. But if the BATFE decided to ban low brass 2 3/4 12 ga shells, would it be ok if I didn't care? I don't shoot trap or skeet, and I don't do any bird hunting. So it doesn't effect me. The point is, these pricks arbitrarily run rough shod over our sport, just to keep themselves awake after lunch on a Tuesday. In no universe am I ok with that, even though I could care less about m855.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller - 1946

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This article reiterates the theory that this ban at this time is purely a political move. No luck with anti-gun legislation so we'll just sneak in through the back door and mess with ammunition using a couple of ABC agencies in conjunction with the Executive branch to do the dirty deed.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I only use a slingshot so banning all guns won't affect me.

I think the poem from Pastor Niemoller applies here :-(

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller - 1946

Beat ya to it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    This article reiterates the theory that this ban at this time is purely a political move. No luck with anti-gun legislation so we'll just sneak in through the back door and mess with ammunition using a couple of ABC agencies in conjunction with the Executive branch to do the dirty deed.

But these are basically ultra vires acts, beyond the authority of the agency. IF the courts reviewing these regulations are above-board, they should not stand long.

In the meantime, Congress needs to cut WAY back on EPA/ATF funding every time they pull these shenanigans. Like the American public would be upset if either agency got whacked?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    But these are basically ultra vires acts, beyond the authority of the agency. IF the courts reviewing these regulations are above-board, they should not stand long.

In the meantime, Congress needs to cut WAY back on EPA/ATF funding every time they pull these shenanigans. Like the American public would be upset if either agency got whacked?

That would only get them positive attention from a few people, and a lot more negative attention for "shutting down important agencies"

Your theory presumes that politicians have our interest at heart, or that this action would be easy to sell politically. If it's not something sold in a 1-line sound bite, even the NRA membership can't influence it much.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I used the draft that Mac put together and emailed it to several politicians. Here is the response that I received from Senator Joe Donnelly. He really didn't address the issue.:noway: Not sure why this copied so funky from the email I received.

donnelly_letterhead.png

February 18, 2015
    Dear Mr. Rowe,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact my office about Second Amendment rights. Like you, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and have consistently voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. However, like responsible gun owners, I believe it is only reasonable for us to consider ways to reduce gun violence and protect public safety.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern has never been with those who follow the law, but with those who do not. For this reason, I have opposed proposals to ban assault weapons and continued my longtime support for national recognition of Indiana licenses to carry.
    We, however, also know that too many individuals with criminal records or serious mental illnesses are getting guns by exploiting loopholes in the current system and, in the process, endangering the lives of others and the rights of law-abiding gun owners. In fact, history has shown that Congress often begins reexamining gun laws after someone who should not have a gun in the first place uses that weapon to commit a crime.
    As we seek answers to the problem of gun violence, I hope we can also have a serious conversation about mental health, particularly the needs of many of the men and women who serve our nation in the military, as well as veterans. It is my strong belief that we can better identify risk factors that often lead to violent behavior and even suicide.
    As Congress continues to debate proposals to responsibly improve our gun laws while also protecting the Second Amendment, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.
    It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.
    sig_footer.png

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I used the draft that Mac put together and emailed it to several politicians. Here is the response that I received from Senator Joe Donnelly. He really didn't address the issue.:noway: Not sure why this copied so funky from the email I received.

donnelly_letterhead.png

February 18, 2015
    Dear Mr. Rowe,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact my office about Second Amendment rights. Like you, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and have consistently voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. However, like responsible gun owners, I believe it is only reasonable for us to consider ways to reduce gun violence and protect public safety.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern has never been with those who follow the law, but with those who do not. For this reason, I have opposed proposals to ban assault weapons and continued my longtime support for national recognition of Indiana licenses to carry.
    We, however, also know that too many individuals with criminal records or serious mental illnesses are getting guns by exploiting loopholes in the current system and, in the process, endangering the lives of others and the rights of law-abiding gun owners. In fact, history has shown that Congress often begins reexamining gun laws after someone who should not have a gun in the first place uses that weapon to commit a crime.
    As we seek answers to the problem of gun violence, I hope we can also have a serious conversation about mental health, particularly the needs of many of the men and women who serve our nation in the military, as well as veterans. It is my strong belief that we can better identify risk factors that often lead to violent behavior and even suicide.
    As Congress continues to debate proposals to responsibly improve our gun laws while also protecting the Second Amendment, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.
    It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.
    sig_footer.png

That's the most lame thing I've ever read.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny but I got that exact same form letter from Senator Donnelly when I wrote him a year or so ago about another firearm issue. Shows how much he really cares to address the issues.

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I also received this same response from Senator Donnelly. His response came this week but it was not about the M855 issue, I hadn't wrote to him about that yet. I would like to stop writing to him because it always falls on deaf ears. However I refuse to go down without a fight and I will remember how he votes on these issues.

Top Bottom