• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was out and about today and it seems our friends at the ATF have been very busy these last few months. They seem to have been making the rounds to a few select locations, investigating and verifying what they needed to....

....to grant a number of new 01 FFLs to Wal Mart! The employee to whom I spoke told me of a memo that had been circulated that they could soon expect to see guns back on their shelves at a few locations, sort of a test-market thing. I don't know about any specific locations except for one of the three in the Lafayette area, off of SR 26 E, and I'm told they're expecting to get the guns in sometime next month, before shotgun season. The young man to whom I spoke said he hoped to see some of what they had before, but cautioned that he really didn't even have a firm date, let alone any specifics on inventory.

I am pleased to see this. If even a few WMs are getting their FFLs back, it means that they see a market. A market means people, aka voters. The more voters we see being pro-2A, the less likely it is, I think, that the politicians will want to risk their jobs.

Blessings,
    Bill

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice set up Bill.

And that's positive news overall.

They'll carry standard stuff, no doubt. But when the right deal comes along... $$$

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to do most of my business at the local gun store, but having WM available should keep that affordable, too.

Win/win, IMHO.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to do most of my business at the local gun store, but having WM available should keep that affordable, too.

Win/win, IMHO.

Seems like good news to me also. The more people see guns in a family store, that aren't jumping off the shelves shooting at people on their own the better off we are. It should raise the comfort level a bit.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Walmart doesn't put things on their shelves without intensive research on their end.

I'm a .22 addict these days and look forward to another 'exclusive' that they had at one time (I missed the boat on those).

I'll buy from them if it makes sense.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Win/win, IMHO.

Actually what this will do is keep the local gun shops from carrying the same guns as Walmart. Small locally owned gun shops don't have the buying power that Walmart has....I can remember when I was an FFL dealer, (4 years ago) my cost on the same guns that Walmart carried was very close or at the same price that Walmart was selling to the public. You can't compete with Walmart ...most of the time they are buying direct from the manufacture in large volumes. The little guy usually has to go through a distributor which has their mark up in the price. Probably the only stores that can compete with Walmart will be the big box type of sporting goods stores ...like Dick's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro & Cabelas.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Walmart still sucks.

Yes

Actually what this will do is keep the local gun shops from carrying the same guns as Walmart. Small locally owned gun shops don't have the buying power that Walmart has....I can remember when I was an FFL dealer, (4 years ago) my cost on the same guns that Walmart carried was very close or at the same price that Walmart was selling to the public. You can't compete with Walmart ...most of the time they are buying direct from the manufacture in large volumes. The little guy usually has to go through a distributor which has their mark up in the price. Probably the only stores that can compete with Walmart will be the big box type of sporting goods stores ...like Dick's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro & Cabelas.

Yes

and I hate Walmart!!!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country

But they wont carry anything that to do with tactical, and ill bet they will never carry handguns either, so local shops need not worry to much. The day Walmart stocks ARs and AKs is the day I head for the hills.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    But they wont carry anything that to do with tactical, and ill bet they will never carry handguns either, so local shops need not worry to much. The day Walmart stocks ARs and AKs is the day I head for the hills.

I bet they could justify some Ak's since everything else they sell is made in China. I know of no Chinese made AR's though so I will give you that.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The WM in Grant county has always carried rifles, and shotguns, and ammunition.

I know several competent shooters that couldn't have entered into shooting were it not for the lower firearm prices at WM.

On the other hand....
    I've seen folks buy a dozen boxes of ammo at WM, then see that same person at a gun show, with the WM ammo marked up for sale, and bad-mouthing WM the whole time. The ONLY thing WM has going for 'em is price.... try asking a gun-related question to a WM employee...... unless they happen to be a shooter.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I'm a .22 addict these days and look forward to another 'exclusive' that they had at one time (I missed the boat on those).

You must mean the Ruger 10/22 in stainless. I grabbed one at Greenwood just before they stopped carrying them. All I remember is what a bunch of morons doing the paperwork. It looked like a 3 Stooges episode trying to figure out who does what.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Sam Walton wouldnt like how WalMarts have got rid of guns,down south they didnt ,they have stuff not ever found in Indiana stores. They are going the way of Kmart ,guns gone, Kmart gone. Sportsman like to see them on shelves even if not buying. While your woman was looking elsewhere you had that to look at ,now I dont even want to go since they went the 'wussy' way .

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Sam Walton wouldnt like how WalMarts have got rid of guns,down south they didnt ,they have stuff not ever found in Indiana stores. They are going the way of Kmart ,guns gone, Kmart gone. Sportsman like to see them on shelves even if not buying. While your woman was looking elsewhere you had that to look at ,now I dont even want to go since they went the 'wussy' way .

Yeah- I miss browsing the guns at WM. I welcome this if it indeed happens at my local WM :yesway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wal Mart on SR 26 (actually, Commerce Dr) in Lafayette now has their rifle rack up and has a few rifles, although when I was in there a day or 2 ago, they did not have them in the case yet due to a lack of locks for the case.

Took 'em long enough, didn't it? :)

+1 Wal Mart

Blessings,
    Bill

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I just had an idea that would make Wal Mart some huge money. They should contract to have a Wal Mart AR made. With their supplier leverage, they could underprice everyone. Money hand over fist. Maybe the logo could be that little Rollback smiley guy.

Top Bottom