• ...and so much more!
  • Earl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2014
    United States
    Hey all,

Brand new to the forum and to the hobby/sport. I've only fired 3 guns in my life and they have all been long guns. However, i'm looking at getting a pistol first for home & personal protection and then later we'll look at target shooting, etc.

I'm looking for a Basic Pistol class but it seems that most of the ones scheduled are either in Indy or north.

I live in Seymour so its an hour to an hour and a half to Indy. Is there ever anything scheduled further south?

Thanks!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thank you for the vote of confidence Jackson! OP I am in Seymour and offer local private instruction for small groups as well as NRA courses. I work exclusively with new shooters.

LateWatch offers an excellent course in Sellersburg. CraigH offers instruction at Hoosier Hills in Columbus.

Earl, if you have not purchased a pistol for self defense I would encourage you to seek out a familiarization level course. Trust me it will save you money in the long run by allowing you to make an informed purchase.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    about 70 miles south of you in west point KY is knob creek gun range they rent guns out to shooters i would take a weekend and make a trip there for a first time buyer it is very nice you can try out a few guns see what works for you. i've been there a few times and love it. it is 10 bucks an hour for use of the rang and 10 bucks an hour for gun rental plus of course you have to buy the ammo

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Earl,
    VERT runs a great NRA Basic and Personal Protection in the Home class locally (Columbus/Seymour area).

I took 2 of his classes last year.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Since this thread got bumped. GraigH, GnrPowder, GSquared, brgcdp and myself will be hosting the NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home course again. It will be at Sand Creek Conservation Club on March 28th. Cost is $75. Enrollment will be limited to 12. I have not posted any official announcements yet. This is a basic class and not at all high speed. Unfortunately we will not go into a lot of detail about actually purchasing a pistol for self defense since most people already have a gun. I am going to rethink that lesson plan a bit because we find that people tend to want a different gun after spending a day on the range with us. I would suggest a new shooter spend some time with one of us prior to attending but if a person already knows how their gun works then they should be fine. I talk with everyone prior to their attending this course. Also I do have loaner guns (Glock 19 & S&W M&P) for people to use.

Edit and comment: I have found that in every class somebody ends up finishing the day with one of my guns. We know who this person will be when we go to the range for the first time. Snubbie revolvers and pocket rocket .380s take a lot of dedication to make the cut. That said we had a really awesome lady in her 70s and my father complete this course with snubs.

Last edited:

Earl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the info everyone. Vert it sounds like you come highly recommended.

What would be the difference between a familiarization course and a basic pistol course?

I have yet to buy a pistol as I want to make sure my girlfriend and myself are comfortable and familiar enough to operate safely.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I consider NRA basic pistol to be a familiarization level course. By that I mean it concentrates on safety and actually discussing the parts/terminology of the pistols. It also covers ammunition and that terminology. Shooting skills are limited to the most basic fundamentals. So we concentrate on finding you a pistol, getting it safely loaded/unloaded and firing it with proper technique.

We we have also offered a non-NRA familiarization course. Same basic principal only with selecting a self defense pistol specifically in mind. Planning on offering one of these in February at Sand Creek Conservation club. We will have several 9mm pistols as well as blue guns on hand and the course includes ammo. Glock, M&P, PPQ, XD lines in several sizes.

I do do private in home instruction as well. Then drive you out to the range for those activities. I also have several models of 9mm pistol that I can let you try. Right now Glock, Smith M&P, and Walther PPQ top my list.

Earl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2014
    United States
    Thanks Vert. I'm going to talk it over with the old lady and see what she wants to do and then I'll shoot you a PM... once I get 50 posts :cool:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks Vert. I'm going to talk it over with the old lady and see what she wants to do and then I'll shoot you a PM... once I get 50 posts :cool:

I don't think anybody will hold it against you for seeking training before you get to 50 posts. I am easy to find around these parts. Local shops have my number, which is 812-530-1266. ACME might not know me by name since Clint left, but Mark & Loren at Bite the Bullet will know who Nate is an can direct you towards the Gun Club guys.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    I took a basic handgun handling and marksmanship class through Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club last summer. I believe they're offering it again this summer. It was excellent. I learned a ton, and would highly recommend the class to anyone else.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    K
    I took a basic handgun handling and marksmanship class through Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club last summer. I believe they're offering it again this summer. It was excellent. I learned a ton, and would highly recommend the class to anyone else.

CraigH is squared away and does an excellent job. In the past he has offered a BHHM familiarization, 1, 2 & 3. These are 4 hour modules and relatively fast paced but in easily digestable "bite sized pieces". I have been involved with a couple of Craig's courses. He also helps me with the NRA Basic Personal Protection course. This overall curriculum compliments each other. So let me share a local roadmap of sorts for somebody new to guns:

A familiarization level course - Craigs familiarization at Hoosier Hills, Columbus or Seymour PD courses, GNRPOWDER familiarization course at Sand Creek, private course, NRA FIRST or Basic Pistol. All are in the Seymour/Columbus area and range in price from $25 - $75. These show you how to load and fire the gun. The classes introduce safety. Got a class in Feb.

Craigs BHHM 1 or NRA PPITH. I would go PPITH but it is really about scheduling. This introduces a person to the concepts of keeping a gun for self defense. Cost is $75. Next one in March.

Follow up with at least Craigs BHHM 1 & 2. These really reinforce safety and get a person into drawing a gun. You learn to shoot faster and at different distances. You learn to reload properly. This is your steps into real gun handling. I think the cost is $75 each for non members. He does these in the summer.

Then go see LateWatch in Sellersburg for his PCC1 course. This is a bit faster paced. He does an awesome job talking mindset and putting everything together. He was charging $75 for the 4 hour course. I have seen this offered in the fall.

There you go 24 hours of training over 5 sessions. Total cost about $350 per person. Start in Feb. - Finish Sept? Never drive more then 40 miles.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    This Road Map is something VERT and I have discussed at great lengths. I have been a student of each of these classes (except the one I've started teaching) and they are solid. I took them out of this order, because I didn't have anyone helping me find the way... This is why and how I wanted to develop a Familiarization course. CraigH has a solid foundation in Safety and education in firearms. I trust him enough to train my wife. I took the CPD course and didn't like how you had to show up with something to participate,but the Safety part was solid. The difference between these two and my Familiarization course is that we work on finding something to fit you as a defensive handgun and then we work with you on the range with what we have found to fit the individual.

Top Bottom