• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Thought I'd test the knowledge of the the INGO experts :)

A few years ago while I was doing patio concrete work we had a lot of rain pool against the house one night. The water found it's way through a crack in the basement wall, not much just looked like someone spilled a little water on the floor.
    I ended up cutting a hole in the drywall and removed the insulation looking for the crack. Since the patio was fixed, new concrete sloping away from the house, there hasn't been and once of water come back through the crack. So now I'm looking at patching the hole. Question is do I really need to put the insulation back between these studs? The drywall stops about a foot short of the framing above the suspended ceiling so there should be airflow behind the wall. If I need to run the insulation back there I'd have to cut the hole much larger to feed it through. Also not sure if I should have someone come out to fix the crack just in case of future issues.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    The key to keeping water out of any basement is to keep water away from the foundation. If you have the patio fixed, ground sloped away from the house with dirt or concrete as you state above I am not sure that I would get wrapped up in getting the crack fixed. The crack is not a chronic problem. The only way to truly fix the crack is from the outside of the the basement wall. To fix what appears to be a minor problem I am not sure is worth the time or potential expense. As far as the insulation goes it is not a bad idea to put it back.

Top Bottom