• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    If you're doing a finished basement, have two sump pits. Two pumps. Plus a backup battery powered pump.

Flooding is all too familiar. Now I have backup backups then battery backup battery backups on top of both of my backups.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Bought my house when it was four years old. Basement was unfinished but has two "lookout" windows. My excellent contractor and I agreed getting a permit would be the way to go, everything on the up and up. We put in a half bath, but no bedroom. I did have some storage closets built in and the inspector asked me if I was planning to use the space as a bedroom. I asked what the difference is and he said my windows weren't large enough for egress in the event of a fire. I disagreed, but didn't push it as it was a moot point to me. Two of my neighbors that I know of finished their basements without permits, and their windows are the same size as mine. At least I figured if we ever sell I can produce all the permits and inspections to prove we did it right.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am in the planning process to do this too. My initial plan was to install zoning and spray foam insulation. Due to costs we are not going to install zoning and spray foam. I am trying to decide if I want to use foam panels for insulating the walls or go with denim insulation. I also will be using insulation to dampen the sound under the bed rooms. We have decided to install a drop ceiling for easy access when a pipe gets clogged or leaks.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Does anyone have any suggestions for some additional heat in the basement?

I am curious about a ventless or vented gas fire place insert (that I would build the surround). But, is ventless gas heat OK for a basement?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Does anyone have any suggestions for some additional heat in the basement?

I am curious about a ventless or vented gas fire place insert (that I would build the surround). But, is ventless gas heat OK for a basement?

One thing to worry about with a vent less gas heater is it still produces lots of moisture into the air. Could be a problem in a basement. The most efficient would be a vented gas fireplace insert that is rated high efficient. It needs to be one that gets it's combustion air from outdoors.

Insulation is your friend. Insulate the band boards and the walls for best results.

Top Bottom