• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Does anyone have any experience with using an AR15 22 conversion in an older 1 in 12" or 1 in 14" twist AR barrel? I got one for my 1 in 9" twist barrel and it shoots OK at 25 yards, but is pretty bad at 50 yards. I really love shooting it, and after dropping the $175 on the kit, can't convince the boss I now need a dedicated 22 upper. So, I was thinking, if I could find an old AR barrel with a slower twist, would it shoot better? Or, is the 0.001" difference in groove as important a factor as the twist rate? Anyone know where you can get an AR barrel with a slower twist (that doesn't cost as much as the dedicated upper?)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Before I'd switch over to a 1:12" 5.56 barrel, I'd sell the conversion, get a dedicated .22 upper, and keep your 1:9" upper.

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I was going to keep the 1 in 9 upper and assemble another upper with the other barrel, but I think I get the point- the dedicated upper is the way to go. I'm looking for a project too but don't want to totally waste the money.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If accuracy is your goal, then the dedicated upper is the way to go.

The conversion is great for plinking, or for simulating your AR training on the cheap.

Top Bottom