• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I got a similar 12' X 24' barn a little over a year ago. It came with a ridge vent, but I'm not sure it does much, because it still gets very hot inside. It may also be that the ridge vent can't do it's job because there isn't any vent for air to get in. I'm thinking about putting in a couple of vents through the floor to see if that makes a difference.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I got a similar 12' X 24' barn a little over a year ago. It came with a ridge vent, but I'm not sure it does much, because it still gets very hot inside. It may also be that the ridge vent can't do it's job because there isn't any vent for air to get in. I'm thinking about putting in a couple of vents through the floor to see if that makes a difference.
    I also have a 12x16, but it's just a one story with a second level on the back half (no stairs). It has a ridge vent and no inlet vents, but it's very shaded where it's at. It gets warm, but the big barn gets HOT.

I did put two of these on the big barn today, one on each side, a foot off the ground.

Screenshot_20240630_233637_Chrome.jpg
    In our chicken coop I installed an exhaust fan that’s on a thermostat. Only thing is, I wish I would’ve went bigger. I put in a 12”x12” works good. Just wish I went bigger View attachment 362761
    I put that same one on a small, generator enclosure I built for my mom. It moves quite a bit of air!
    We have 2 windows, both on the south side of the barn. If I need additional airflow, I have a 12V fan, deep cycle battery and solar panels.
    I have a window on the front side, second floor. Even with both downstairs (smaller) windows open, it still gets mighty hot on the second floor. I'm thinking since it's 5-6' below the roofline, it's not moving any of that hot air.
    With the amount of new fangled tech On the market why are more people not installing say’s max-air fan along with the vent. Made to be installed on a roof, work very well for reliability.

two max airs in a very large 20-30 or 30-30 garage with 10 foot walls you could set the app to bring in or exhaust out, temp controls ons and with a single shop fan provide working in the garage time nearly 24/7/365 with some small heating appliance.
    That may be my best bet. Do the cupola and put one of those vent fans in it, for when I'm out there, as someone else suggested.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The cupola arrives tomorrow and I should be able to get it up in a few weeks.

I'll be cutting a 18" vent hole in the roof under it, any thoughts on what to use to finish that edge to make it look better? Yes, I realize it's a barn but would rather have it look finished vs just rough cut plywood and shingles...

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    No windows?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Was planning on just hulking it up there on my 32' ladder, but a 24"x24" cupola would have been fun to get up there alone.

Better safe than sorry and who wouldn't want to play with a boom lift all weekend? Picked this guy up this morning, amazing how quickly I got it installed, being able to have all my tools in the bucket.

Screenshot_20240817_163506_Gallery.jpg

I have it until 8am Monday morning, now to see what else I can do with it around here...

Collage_2024-08-17_16_39_20.jpg

Very happy with how it turned out, however looking back since I rented the lift, I should have bought a 30x30 vs the 24x24, so I could have secured it directly to the studs.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Was planning on just hulking it up there on my 32' ladder, but a 24"x24" cupola would have been fun to get up there alone.

Better safe than sorry and who wouldn't want to play with a boom lift all weekend? Picked this guy up this morning, amazing how quickly I got it installed, being able to have all my tools in the bucket.

View attachment 373860

I have it until 8am Monday morning, now to see what else I can do with it around here...

View attachment 373861

Very happy with how it turned out, however looking back since I rented the lift, I should have bought a 30x30 vs the 24x24, so I could have secured it directly to the studs.
    Nice, but I have a question. Do you or do you plan on heating it at all? If so do you have a way of blocking it off?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Nice, but I have a question. Do you or do you plan on heating it at all? If so do you have a way of blocking it off?
    No plans on heating, but I'll likely just block it off with a board come winter. The side/rear vents aren't blocked.

I haven't taken temps, but it's easily 20° cooler in there just with the passive ventilation.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    unrelated to venting but relevant to interested parties - a recent storm damaged some of our 50yr old metal roof’s (formerly) transparent light panels. Today all 6 were replaced and :wow: it’s an unbelievable upgrade. It’s almost like we installed new light systems. I’ll share a photo tomorrow when the sun is hitting them again. I really underestimated how much replacing those dingy old panels would change the barn.

Top Bottom