• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Possums are the only marsupial native to the Americas, they are remarkably clean animals, immune to rabies, and can eat just about anything. They are not predators, but they are opportunists. I'd just set out more food, and let it clean up the barn for me. They're not vermin, like most people think. They'll hang out and be relatively friendly if you are too.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCTx6U10Jck[/ame]

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    When I was a kid, my grandfather used to keep an old 6" top-break H&R pre-999 "Sportsman" hanging by the trigger guard on a nail is the feed locker of his barn. It was loaded with "ratshot" cartridges and HP Shorts and was used to dispatch all sorts of pests.

These days, a roughly equivalent alternative, at least cost-wise, might be a Heritage Rough Rider or the like. A used one in decent shape shouldn't put you back much more than a C note.

Personally, I haven't found 'possums to be all that tough to kill, when it's become necessary. When they prove too stupid or stubborn to take repeated hints that they're not welcome from a BB gun, a single hit from a CCI CB Long will drop them in very short order. No more noise than a high-powered pellet rifle when fired from my old Marlin 39M, and so far our neighbors haven't even noticed (and we live smack in the middle of town).

I've (regretably) had to deliver "Darwin Awards" to over a dozen who refused to go away and stay out of the kibble and/or garbage cans this year alone. Never took more than one decently-placed shot, either.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with the suggestions here for the P22. It's a good choice. Add an Outbackk II if you want not to have to worry about the hearing protection...You can't go wrong :yesway:

WaltherP22withGemtech.jpg

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    The walther P-22 is a great .22 pistol. I had the privilege of shooting it last weekend at the range; quite accurate.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Possums are the only marsupial native to the Americas, they are remarkably clean animals, immune to rabies, and can eat just about anything. They are not predators, but they are opportunists. I'd just set out more food, and let it clean up the barn for me. They're not vermin, like most people think. They'll hang out and be relatively friendly if you are too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCTx6U10Jck

This^

There isn't a time someone gasses on about how they "gotta kill'em critters, it's dem ur us!!" that makes my stomach churn. Only reason ratshot and "Snake Charmers" are around is because everyone seems to want even a slight excuse to kill something. Snake in your house, threatening your kids? Okay. :D But something in your barn, leave it be.

I never shot anything that I have not eaten and have had plenty of raccoon in my short time as I don't believe in keeping pets and I don't believe in killin' unless I am going to eat it (including people, just don't eat too much, you get the shakes :D ). If I hear a rattling in the grass, I move away slow and go around. I see a chittering critter on my garbage bin, it gets half a mag from a low power M16A1 airsoft gun if they are throwing the garbage over the street. Outside of that, I leave the critters be. They're there for a reason that our puny brains "ain't gonna understand".

Possum eating your cat's food? So, your "outdoor" cats, you're just feeding strays... My mom used to scream me stupid if I fed the cats or dogs that were under the trailer we lived in as a kid or in the neighborhood. Unless you keep 'em in your house, you're contributing to your own pervieced problem. Keep your food in a place where they cannot get to it, you aren't going to have the possum visit. :twocents:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    This^

There isn't a time someone gasses on about how they "gotta kill'em critters, it's dem ur us!!" that makes my stomach churn. Only reason ratshot and "Snake Charmers" are around is because everyone seems to want even a slight excuse to kill something. Snake in your house, threatening your kids? Okay. :D But something in your barn, leave it be.

I never shot anything that I have not eaten and have had plenty of raccoon in my short time as I don't believe in keeping pets and I don't believe in killin' unless I am going to eat it (including people, just don't eat too much, you get the shakes :D ). If I hear a rattling in the grass, I move away slow and go around. I see a chittering critter on my garbage bin, it gets half a mag from a low power M16A1 airsoft gun if they are throwing the garbage over the street. Outside of that, I leave the critters be. They're there for a reason that our puny brains "ain't gonna understand".

Possum eating your cat's food? So, your "outdoor" cats, you're just feeding strays... My mom used to scream me stupid if I fed the cats or dogs that were under the trailer we lived in as a kid or in the neighborhood. Unless you keep 'em in your house, you're contributing to your own pervieced problem. Keep your food in a place where they cannot get to it, you aren't going to have the possum visit. :twocents:

LOL, spoken like someone who's never stepped foot on a farm.

Not trying to scoff, but that isn't how it works outside of town.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    You could carry a NAA Magnum mini master revolver with a 4" barrel in .22. You can keep it in the shirt pocket and you won't even notice it. I'm picking up one for the BOB. I figure it's too neat of a package of a .22 pistol and 500 rounds of ammo to not have one.

Last edited:

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i am not saying killem all but my ol ladies dad had a problem with them getting in to the cattle feed and defecating in it which ruins it all, which can be expensive to replace. i have also seen one get shot close range with a 12gauge and get up and walk away dont know what kind of shot was used as i was a kid. and also saw one have a whole mag from a tec 22 dumped in it and still be alive the next morning they can be hard to kill, but with good shot placement shouldnt be hard. either live trap and relocate or just use a single shot .410 inexpensive and should do the job.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    LOL, spoken like someone who's never stepped foot on a farm.

Not trying to scoff, but that isn't how it works outside of town.

Excuse me? Having lived on one as a kid, I think I know what I am talking about, rather than just spouting off about someone I don't know. Maybe you should get to know me rather than showing off your "obvious" arrogance. :twocents:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I'd like to take this time to say I don't know D.H. But after a year or so of lurking before joining I've always enjoyed your sense of humor. WTS ads in particular. Grandpa was a farmer and so was Dad till Grandpa put lights on the tractor.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Excuse me? Having lived on one as a kid, I think I know what I am talking about, rather than just spouting off about someone I don't know. Maybe you should get to know me rather than showing off your "obvious" arrogance. :twocents:

Sorry to offend. Your comments struck me as someone who hadn't grown up on a working farm.

Growing up, if it was in the barn and didn't belong, it didn't stay in the barn one way or another. We kept an old .22 single shot with a box of shorts next to it on a workbench. Cat's stayed in the barns and the dogs had run of the place. You fed them outside because they weren't allowed in the house after running through **** in the lots all day.

Everyone else I grew up with had the same set up. I just assumed it was a given. Again, sorry to offend.

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Much the same situation as hooky described on my granddad's place. The barn was for tending/housing the horse and dairy cows, storing the hay, feed and various tools. Cats and the stock dog were fed, watered and quartered there as well.

Even with the cats and dog present there were enough rodent problems in the feed locker to warrant the H&R being kept handy there. The cats didn't have free access, as the room separated from the rest of the barn by four walls and a ceiling and the door was kept closed. Rats and mice could and did get in there however and Decon, traps, etc. never seemed to get them all. When we saw one, we shot it. Feed costs money, and when it's been contaminated with rodent urine and droppings it's no longer fit for consumption, especially by animals that are kept to feed us in one way or another.

Another big pest problem were the starlings and other varmints (such as 'possums, skunks and raccoons) which used to get into the feeding troughs and/or come foraging around in the barn lots.

The starlings were a particular problem, as their droppings would ruin an entire batch of feed in a trough put there for the beef calves being prepared for market and the (usually two) dairy cows and their calves kept to supply milk for the family. They came in swarms during certain seasons and we (the grandkids) were encouraged to help keep them thinned-out as much as possible by means of a $0.02 "bounty" for each dead starling we presented.

No offense intended Disposable Heart, but IMO none of that qualifies as "killing for amusement".

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You mentioned a S&W J frame. How about a Smith Model 34.
    J frame .22 in 2" or 4" barrel. I have a little 2 incher that I carry around my barn for just such critters. Even though a 34 is small, and mine only has a 2" barrel with quality .22 ammo they are pretty accurate.
    I have dispatched my share of ground squirrels, and raccoons with mine.

Easy to carry, accurate, and a Smith. What's not to like.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yup sure they will... :popcorn:

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    A true barn gun is usually a .22 rifle with a hole drilled in the buttstock to hang it on a nail in the barn. I have seen several and currently own a Stevens model 44 with the hole just above the crescent butt plate....John

Top Bottom