• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dollarbill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    A testmony in Ignorance. Since the Arizona shooting of Congresswoman Gifford and the other innocent bystanders, Peter King who is a Congressman from the state of New York will sponser a Bill that will make it a crime for a law abiding citizen with a gun permit to carry a firearm within 1,000 feet of any political Rally. Lets look at this. First i am pretty sure the criminals really wont care about this new law. Second, if there were one or more law abiding gun permit holding citizen with with thier firearm at that rally thier would have been less casualties.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Do you ever get sick of being on the defensive? Why O Why can't the Pro 2A politicians bombard their colleges with appropriate legislation and put the @$$-hats on the defense?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    We have Pro 2nd Ammendment legislation all the time. We have passed more in the last 5 years than I can remember. We just whine and cry when they come after us because it hits so close to home. We have a bill ready for the House right now called H.R. 822 that will make all states that issue Concealed/Handgun permits/licenses recognize all other states'. This of course right now only eliminates Illinois, who is the only state in the Union that has absolutely NO provision for carrying of a loaded firearm at all. Lets change that too ;)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We have Pro 2nd Ammendment legislation all the time. We have passed more in the last 5 years than I can remember. We just whine and cry when they come after us because it hits so close to home. We have a bill ready for the House right now called H.R. 822 that will make all states that issue Concealed/Handgun permits/licenses recognize all other states'. This of course right now only eliminates Illinois, who is the only state in the Union that has absolutely NO provision for carrying of a loaded firearm at all. Lets change that too ;)

The problem with H.R. 822 is if you believe in a limited federal government and states rights. In this case, 822 tramples states rights.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Valid point Hoosier8, but I don't think this is really "trampling" states' rights when in fact the states are trampling OUR rights set forth BY the Federal Gov't. I believe when it is established that we have basic and inalienable rights, that no matter how powerful the states are, they can't take them away from us.

The way we do that is unfortunately making new laws. I am not a fan of new laws as I think we should have as few laws as possible for a stable society as you cannot regulate people into being better people. You must give the honorable people the ability to fight and protect themselves, this in turn gives them a moral responsibility which, hopefully, transcends into all aspects of life. IE a person that must work for his living and everything he owns will take greater pride in it and be a more productive individual.

I know I went into a tangent but this is heavy stuff and we are definantly at a crossroads in politics and economics the world over. Look at history. Any time there is this much chaos in the world and the main superpower is bloated in the global economy a violent shift happens. I feel that we should be ready for it. The more of our Gov't we take back now, the more power we will have when/if it collapses/changes perminantly. Look at Egypt and Libya etc for ideas on how this change will come about. America tends to be a much more violent place than these because we have a greater sense of self justice.

Sorry for the rant, I can't sleep and I'm bored.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The problem with H.R. 822 is if you believe in a limited federal government and states rights. In this case, 822 tramples states rights.

Valid point Hoosier8, but I don't think this is really "trampling" states' rights when in fact the states are trampling OUR rights set forth BY the Federal Gov't. I believe when it is established that we have basic and inalienable rights, that no matter how powerful the states are, they can't take them away from us.

The way we do that is unfortunately making new laws. I am not a fan of new laws as I think we should have as few laws as possible for a stable society as you cannot regulate people into being better people. You must give the honorable people the ability to fight and protect themselves, this in turn gives them a moral responsibility which, hopefully, transcends into all aspects of life. IE a person that must work for his living and everything he owns will take greater pride in it and be a more productive individual.

I know I went into a tangent but this is heavy stuff and we are definantly at a crossroads in politics and economics the world over. Look at history. Any time there is this much chaos in the world and the main superpower is bloated in the global economy a violent shift happens. I feel that we should be ready for it. The more of our Gov't we take back now, the more power we will have when/if it collapses/changes perminantly. Look at Egypt and Libya etc for ideas on how this change will come about. America tends to be a much more violent place than these because we have a greater sense of self justice.

Sorry for the rant, I can't sleep and I'm bored.

Sorry, Hoosier8, I have to agree with Titanium_Frost. The gist of HR 822 is that it "forces" the states to recognize each others' permission slips, but it goes deeper than that. They all agreed to the US Constitution when they joined the Union. The 2A has been a part of that since two years after the original document was ratified and each amendment was similarly ratified. The 10A denies to the fedgov any power not granted it in the Constitution, reserving said powers to the states unless otherwise forbidden, or to the people. The 9A clarifies that there are more rights than are specified by name, but the 2A makes clear that NO government has the power to infringe upon the rights to keep and bear arms. The fedgov has been doing it for many years and so have many states, and HR 822 seems to me to be saying that it's time to end that violation of the Constitution.

Further, it doesn't say that every state must recognize all others (full faith and credit, anyone?), it only requires them to do so if they already recognize SOME state permission slip, including their own. In effect, it's saying that states like CA, HI, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, and RI will no longer be able to deny Americans from other states their basic, natural rights on a whim.

:twocents:

I support HR 822.

Blessings,
    Bill

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    A testmony in Ignorance. Since the Arizona shooting of Congresswoman Gifford and the other innocent bystanders, Peter King who is a Congressman from the state of New York will sponser a Bill that will make it a crime for a law abiding citizen with a gun permit to carry a firearm within 1,000 feet of any political Rally. Lets look at this. First i am pretty sure the criminals really wont care about this new law. Second, if there were one or more law abiding gun permit holding citizen with with thier firearm at that rally thier would have been less casualties.

There is a difference between "ignorance" and "stupidity." The difference being that ignorance can be fixed, stupidity is forever. Methinks Mr. King is probably just stupid and without hope. Problem there is, it took a whole lot of folk to elect this dweeb. Are they stupid or just ignorant and misled? Hmmmm...
    :ugh:

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...if there were one or more law abiding gun permit holding citizen with with thier firearm at that rally thier would have been less casualties.

We like to say that and many times, it might be true, but there were law-abiding gun owners with their firearms at the rally and nearby. The crowd members tackled him during a reload.

So what does this prove, considering that AZ is a Constitutional Carry state? It proves only one thing: Some effing nutball will commit crimes of violence no matter what deterrents are in place. "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."

Blessings,
    Bill

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This thread validates my love for this site! Two great, rational and logical views (pro and con) presented on an important issue, with much knowledge to be gained for those seeking such.
    Thanks to the participants for sharing their wisdom :patriot:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    This is great. first, not all political rally's are stationary. so you'll have a moving 1000' radius that may include residential areas. What if you're 2 blocks away and the rally moves within 1000' of you?

What makes a rally political? Is it different than a protest? How many people does it take to make a rally? If I stand outside your house with a sign that says join the communist party, does that mean you can't carry your gun when you leave? Or on your property? What about in your house? How many people would it take to put someone with a sign every 2000' and make an entire town unable to carry a gun because the "rally" encompasses the entire area?

Are only Republican and Democrats able to have "political" rallys? Would you now need to pay for a permit to make a rally official? what about "flash rallys".....

Redneckbuckeye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sheridan
    Anti gun people are as passionate for their ideals, no matter what their agenda is, as we gun owners are. It will be fight until the end of time. I think there is more support for 2 A rights than there have been in the last 10 years.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Why doesn't anyone understand, as soon as that 1000 foot rule becomes law, if a criminal came one foot into that 1000 foot circle, his firearm would heat up and become so hot he would instantly catch fire. Or suddenly the criminal would see the light of his ways and become an angel on earth.

So tell me, why is it you have to check your brains at the door to become an elected official?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Problem is "WHAT IF your home is less than 1000 feet from a RALLY :dunno:or WHAT IF your driving your car with in 1000 feet of a rally:dunno: THIS BILL WILL NEVER PAST:yesway:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    As sad as it is that our elected officials can't read (or refuse to obey) plainly written laws and with all of the smoke and mirrors around the intention of the Founding Fathers when they penned the 2nd Amendment, why couldn't an elected official (either of the Pauls) propose a "new" Amendment or federal law, stating "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." and just leave it at that? Pre-empt all of this crap! :draw:

Top Bottom