• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What makes a giant monster megabank think you want to leave your savings with them at .04% interest when online banks are paying 4.171% on money market savings?
    Someone in charge is getting way overpaid for their highly touted MBA in finance.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No, they hold a lot more than MBAs, and they make decisions for their business, not you. Can't fault them for that model, since it's the "American dream", can you?

Also, each bank is, at any time, in a different decision-making matrix than any other bank.

Mine, for example, is a great place to borrow money right now, and not as good for investing your money. Goes in cycles, and if you bump this thread in 5 years, I might be the opposite of that.

JimmyC1924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2024
    Indiana
    What makes a giant monster megabank think you want to leave your savings with them at .04% interest when online banks are paying 4.171% on money market savings?
    Someone in charge is getting way overpaid for their highly touted MBA in finance.
    Idk .04 sounds real juicy thats a whole 5 bucks a year. That's a large fry at McDonalds.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    4.75% at Merchants Bank.

Aside from them, credit unions for the win...

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    How do you think they got to be "giant monster mega banks", that are "too big to fail"?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No, they hold a lot more than MBAs, and they make decisions for their business, not you. Can't fault them for that model, since it's the "American dream", can you?

Also, each bank is, at any time, in a different decision-making matrix than any other bank.

Mine, for example, is a great place to borrow money right now, and not as good for investing your money. Goes in cycles, and if you bump this thread in 5 years, I might be the opposite of that.
    And they still suck.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Some of the fintech companies are offering 4.5% for accounts that function as checking/savings hybrids. Some offer debit cards, checks, etc. Wealthfront is a good example.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had quite a bit of money sitting in my CU for years when I started noticing that some banks had CDs at around 5% a couple years ago. All I had to do is inquire and was told they had CDS, money market accounts, all available at competitive rates.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our Western Alliance high-yield savings premier account is currently at 5.01%, no minimum balance, access any time, no bells and whistles. Only links to one other account, no ATM, no checks, no joint account options. Fine with us since we don't need any of that. It's our emergency fund, and transfers are 3 day affairs.

Our 5/3 bank offers a "high yield" savings option that is some miniscule amount with a $25,000 minimum. LOL no.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I had quite a bit of money sitting in my CU for years when I started noticing that some banks had CDs at around 5% a couple years ago. All I had to do is inquire and was told they had CDS, money market accounts, all available at competitive rates.
    Yep, Navy Federal is at 5% or better depending on amount and time.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It's a thing you put money in every payday.
    And once in awhile you move it to a better interest rate.
    Im not a money person but I was taught this long ago.
    Always pay yourself FIRST.
    It's a skill many aren't taught and NEVER learn.

Your taught to be a good little consumers, get in debt and spend it all!

Own nothing, you'll be happy!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The disappointment of it all will be that, though we were wise and saved and did the research and delayed gratification, when the government eventually collapses our currency, we'll have just as much as those who didn't do any of those - nothing.

Top Bottom