BAN THOSE EVIL BLACK RIFLES! BAN THEM I SAY!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handyman1028

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    i know him and his family and it really doesnt surprise me that he would do something stupid like that.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Girl, 13, struck by New Year's gunfire

Updated: Jan 2, 2009 09:48 PM EST

pxl_trans.gif
    pxl_trans.gif

New Albany - Police in southern Indiana say a 13-year-old girl is lucky to be alive after she was struck by celebratory gunfire.
    According to New Albany Police, 44-year-old Troy Anthony Brown was firing an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle into the air to ring in the new year on Wabash Avenue in New Albany. Three of the rounds he fired went into a house behind his neighborhood. One of the bullets struck the teenager in her leg. Another bullet went through a window and the third struck the refrigerator.
    The girl was taken to a local hospital, where she underwent surgery and is listed in stable condition. The injury to her leg is not life-threatening.
    Brown is charged with criminal recklessness and is being held in the Floyd County Jail awaiting an initial court appearance.
    (Louisville NBC affiliate WAVE contributed to this story
    9610366_BG1.jpg

Troy Anthony Brown

MythBusters had an episode where they said this was not possible to do. I seen that show. :D

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Girl, 13, struck by New Year's gunfire

Updated: Jan 2, 2009 09:48 PM EST

pxl_trans.gif
    pxl_trans.gif

New Albany - Police in southern Indiana say a 13-year-old girl is lucky to be alive after she was struck by celebratory gunfire.
    According to New Albany Police, 44-year-old Troy Anthony Brown was firing an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle into the air to ring in the new year on Wabash Avenue in New Albany. Three of the rounds he fired went into a house behind his neighborhood. One of the bullets struck the teenager in her leg. Another bullet went through a window and the third struck the refrigerator.
    The girl was taken to a local hospital, where she underwent surgery and is listed in stable condition. The injury to her leg is not life-threatening.
    Brown is charged with criminal recklessness and is being held in the Floyd County Jail awaiting an initial court appearance.
    (Louisville NBC affiliate WAVE contributed to this story
    9610366_BG1.jpg

Troy Anthony Brown

I dont think in this case there was any fault on the evil black rifle but rather the idiotic black man.

Im glad he got them taken away before January 20th. Im sure he would have shot up the whole neighborhood in celebration when Obama gets sworn in.:ar15:

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    That what goes STRAIGHT up will not have the terminal vol. to seriously hurt or kill anyone, due that the bullet is only falling at the speed gravity will let it. But they did say that if the muzzle is slightly angled it will keep a trijectory and will can have fatal vol. on impact... this does sound weird to me that a round went thru a window, and struck the NEIGHBORS house a total of 3 times, it was windy at my place New Years and my thinking is this is prob not a freak accident. just my 2 cents. Im sure the investigators did a STELLER job of investigating this though:rolleyes:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Mythbuster proved that a bullet fire straight up only fell a terminal velocity [300 to 400 feet per second ] now one fired at a slight angle will retain some of the muzle velocity it started with .
    HTML:
    [
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Different guns have different "muzzle velocities."  That's the speed that the bullet is going when it leaves the barrel.  Many high-powered rifles have muzzle velocities that are 3000 feet per second or more.  That's more than 2000 miles per hour.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]When such a gun is fired straight up into the air, this is what happens:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]The bullet leaves the gun at 3000 feet per second.  There are two things now that slow the bullet down as it goes up.  One is gravity - which slows the bullet 32 feet per second every second.  If this were all that slowed it down, then after 10 seconds, the bullet would still be going (3000 - 320), or 2680 feet per second.  This is not even close to the true velocity after 10 seconds,  because air friction is slowing the bullet also.  That friction is much greater while the bullet is going fast.  In the first second, it may slow the bullet by 1000 feet per second.  Then in the second second, maybe another 500, and then less and less, until finally, the gravitational slowing is more significant than the friction.  The bullet will continue to slow down until it stops at the top.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Now let's talk about when the bullet heads back down:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]The same two forces are present, but now the gravity part is speeding up the bullet - friction is still trying to slow it down.  Gravity will be speeding up the bullet 32 feet per second every second, but friction will be increasing more and more as the bullet speeds up, and this friction will subtract from that 32.  There is a certain velocity when the friction is equal to the gravity in the opposite direction.  At this point, the frictional acceleration is 32 feet per second every second upward (or -32), while the gravitational acceleration is 32 feet per second every second downward (+32).  From now on, the bullet will have no acceleration at all (32 - 32 = 0).  When this happens, the velocity of the bullet is called its "terminal velocity."  The bullet will continue at the same velocity until it hits the ground or some object.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]This terminal velocity is different depending mostly on two things.  1. The density of the thing that is falling.  2. The shape of the thing that is falling.  Bullets are very dense (usually lead), and they have a shape to allow relatively low friction.  The terminal velocity of a feather may be only 2 feet per second because of its shape and density, but the terminal velocity of a bullet could be 300 or 400 feet per second.  This could be about 300 miles per hour.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Now about your debate:  [/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]1. That 400 feet per second is much slower than the 3000 feet per second that the bullet had when first fired. [/COLOR][/SIZE][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#00ff00]If you or a friend argued that the bullet is going slower on the way down, then you or that friend was correct on the physics.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]2. It is still dangerous.  A three hundred mile per hour piece of lead can still do harm.  There is no question that it is not as effective as a bullet fired directly at something.  The bullet that is fired at something has another very important feature, however, a feature the bullet fired into the air does not have.  It was [I]aimed[/I] - there was an intended target.  The bullet fired into the air falls [I]randomly[/I] and could hit anything.  If it hit someone right on top of the head, it's possible that it could kill.  It's going about three times as fast as a professionally hit tennis serve, and it's much smaller than a tennis ball, and harder - more penetrating.  When you triple the speed, the energy goes up nine times (it's proportional to the square of the speed), and I'll bet there's no-one who wants to be hit by a tennis ball with nine times the energy of a fast serve.  Then, because the bullet is small and hard, it is hundreds of times more penetrating than that tennis ball would be.  Put a tennis ball in your palm and put twenty pounds on top of it.  No problem.  But now put the blade of a screw-driver on your palm and put twenty pounds on that.  That will hurt.  Same twenty pounds - smaller cross section - more penetrating.  [/COLOR][/SIZE][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#00ff00]If you or a friend argued that the falling bullet is dangerous, then you or that friend was correct on that.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]3.  Ultimate winner of the debate:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#00ff00][I]If you or a friend argued that the bullet falls much slower than the muzzle velocity, is still dangerous, but not [/I]as[I] dangerous, then you or that friend won the debate and had everything right. [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Bottom line:  Grandpa does not recommend firing guns straight up into the air, but he would rather have a hundred of these than just one aimed and fired at him.  Guns are particularly dangerous in our country, because we take them far too much for granted.  They are familiar to us, and we have too much comfort concerning them.  They are often treated as toys.  Sometimes very large [I]children[/I] play with them. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Note:  If this gun were fired into a vacuum - no air - then the bullet would fall to the same speed as it left the muzzle.  Many times in physics classes, friction is ignored.  This is because the problems become much more difficult when friction is included, and the principles can be taught easier with this assumption.  The assumption is, of course, false.  When we do real physics in the real world, we cannot ignore friction.  Our results would be ridiculous.  For example, in this vacuum, the feather would fall as fast as the bullet.  You would be very surprised on the moon if you held a feather in one hand and a rock in the other and then dropped them at the same time.  Both would hit the ground together.  Though Grandpa would expect this result, it would still be a surprise to see it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

/HTML] Still a dumb ass thing to do !

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Highlight the whole post. It turns the white text blue on a white background and the green text white on a blue background. MUCH easier on the eyes.
    :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    B

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    Mythbuster proved that a bullet fire straight up only fell a terminal velocity [300 to 400 feet per second ] now one fired at a slight angle will retain some of the muzle velocity it started with .
    HTML:
    [
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Different guns have different "muzzle velocities."  That's the speed that the bullet is going when it leaves the barrel.  Many high-powered rifles have muzzle velocities that are 3000 feet per second or more.  That's more than 2000 miles per hour.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]When such a gun is fired straight up into the air, this is what happens:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]The bullet leaves the gun at 3000 feet per second.  There are two things now that slow the bullet down as it goes up.  One is gravity - which slows the bullet 32 feet per second every second.  If this were all that slowed it down, then after 10 seconds, the bullet would still be going (3000 - 320), or 2680 feet per second.  This is not even close to the true velocity after 10 seconds,  because air friction is slowing the bullet also.  That friction is much greater while the bullet is going fast.  In the first second, it may slow the bullet by 1000 feet per second.  Then in the second second, maybe another 500, and then less and less, until finally, the gravitational slowing is more significant than the friction.  The bullet will continue to slow down until it stops at the top.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Now let's talk about when the bullet heads back down:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]The same two forces are present, but now the gravity part is speeding up the bullet - friction is still trying to slow it down.  Gravity will be speeding up the bullet 32 feet per second every second, but friction will be increasing more and more as the bullet speeds up, and this friction will subtract from that 32.  There is a certain velocity when the friction is equal to the gravity in the opposite direction.  At this point, the frictional acceleration is 32 feet per second every second upward (or -32), while the gravitational acceleration is 32 feet per second every second downward (+32).  From now on, the bullet will have no acceleration at all (32 - 32 = 0).  When this happens, the velocity of the bullet is called its "terminal velocity."  The bullet will continue at the same velocity until it hits the ground or some object.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]This terminal velocity is different depending mostly on two things.  1. The density of the thing that is falling.  2. The shape of the thing that is falling.  Bullets are very dense (usually lead), and they have a shape to allow relatively low friction.  The terminal velocity of a feather may be only 2 feet per second because of its shape and density, but the terminal velocity of a bullet could be 300 or 400 feet per second.  This could be about 300 miles per hour.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Now about your debate:  [/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]1. That 400 feet per second is much slower than the 3000 feet per second that the bullet had when first fired. [/COLOR][/SIZE][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#00ff00]If you or a friend argued that the bullet is going slower on the way down, then you or that friend was correct on the physics.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]2. It is still dangerous.  A three hundred mile per hour piece of lead can still do harm.  There is no question that it is not as effective as a bullet fired directly at something.  The bullet that is fired at something has another very important feature, however, a feature the bullet fired into the air does not have.  It was [I]aimed[/I] - there was an intended target.  The bullet fired into the air falls [I]randomly[/I] and could hit anything.  If it hit someone right on top of the head, it's possible that it could kill.  It's going about three times as fast as a professionally hit tennis serve, and it's much smaller than a tennis ball, and harder - more penetrating.  When you triple the speed, the energy goes up nine times (it's proportional to the square of the speed), and I'll bet there's no-one who wants to be hit by a tennis ball with nine times the energy of a fast serve.  Then, because the bullet is small and hard, it is hundreds of times more penetrating than that tennis ball would be.  Put a tennis ball in your palm and put twenty pounds on top of it.  No problem.  But now put the blade of a screw-driver on your palm and put twenty pounds on that.  That will hurt.  Same twenty pounds - smaller cross section - more penetrating.  [/COLOR][/SIZE][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#00ff00]If you or a friend argued that the falling bullet is dangerous, then you or that friend was correct on that.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]3.  Ultimate winner of the debate:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=#00ff00][I]If you or a friend argued that the bullet falls much slower than the muzzle velocity, is still dangerous, but not [/I]as[I] dangerous, then you or that friend won the debate and had everything right. [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Bottom line:  Grandpa does not recommend firing guns straight up into the air, but he would rather have a hundred of these than just one aimed and fired at him.  Guns are particularly dangerous in our country, because we take them far too much for granted.  They are familiar to us, and we have too much comfort concerning them.  They are often treated as toys.  Sometimes very large [I]children[/I] play with them. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR=#ffffff]Note:  If this gun were fired into a vacuum - no air - then the bullet would fall to the same speed as it left the muzzle.  Many times in physics classes, friction is ignored.  This is because the problems become much more difficult when friction is included, and the principles can be taught easier with this assumption.  The assumption is, of course, false.  When we do real physics in the real world, we cannot ignore friction.  Our results would be ridiculous.  For example, in this vacuum, the feather would fall as fast as the bullet.  You would be very surprised on the moon if you held a feather in one hand and a rock in the other and then dropped them at the same time.  Both would hit the ground together.  Though Grandpa would expect this result, it would still be a surprise to see it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

/HTML] Still a dumb ass thing to do ![/QUOTE]
    This is some interesting information. Now what would happen if we put the man who shot the gun in the vacuum and didn't let him out until his sensibility returned?

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    This is some interesting information. Now what would happen if we put the man who shot the gun in the vacuum and didn't let him out until his sensibility returned?
    I believe he would fall and there would be no thud. No one would here him go away and all would be better. a vacuum, the ultimate silencer

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    The thing to remember on the falling down thing is that unlike an arrow a bullet does not have any stabilizing fins to control the airflow over it. So while you may be able to calculate it's terminal velocity in a perfect situation by calculating the acceleration of gravity, mass of the bullet, and the co-efficient of friction created by it's frontal area you're leaving out the biggest issue. The bullet will tumble. Making it no more "aerodynamic" than an equally heavy rock. That alone will reduce the speed significantly. We may be talking 100mph or less by the time it strikes the ground.

Now that will hurt like hell, but there's no way it's coming through a house and hitting you.

Johnny Genius over here was obviously firing it at some sort of angle. My guess is that had he aimed 1 degree left or right he'd have probably cleared that house by a couple 100 feet. I'd be even more curious to see just how far away this house was that he hit.

My friend likes to celebrate the new year with his 12 guage, but he just uses it to dig a hole in the dirt. Pretty effective as well.

Top Bottom