• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It may not be a big deal to some, but I was greatly excited to spot not one, but two bald eagles in Lafayette yesterday afternoon.

I was in a car crossing the Union St bridge from Lafayette to West Lafayette.
    At the west end of the bridge, on the north side, is a large pond/small lake.

As we we exited onto the off-ramp, I spotted a very large bald eagle swoop down and take a fish from the pond/lake. I was not driving so I had the privilege to watch nature instead of the road.
    It flew from the waters surface up to a tree-top about 60' up and only 30 yards or so from Williamsburg apartments below.

I knew that Indiana made a concerted effort years ago to re-introduce bald eagles to Indiana. I saw proof yesterday of it working.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    originally from that area. i remember reports of them a few years ago. my old man in an adjacent county says theyve been out that way too.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    they're all over. on 26 outside of rossville theres a couple near the filled up quarry. near burrows and french post park theres a few. so glad to know theyre back.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The hot spot to watch Bald Eagles in the Lafayette area is the Williamsburg apartment complex; they have been congregating on the Wabash in pretty good numbers for the past few years.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Gorgeous birds. They're actually becoming more popular. I believe there are around 26? nesting pairs known in the state now.

There's a pair at Eagle Creek that you can see on a regular basis.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The hot spot to watch Bald Eagles in the Lafayette area is the Williamsburg apartment complex; they have been congregating on the Wabash in pretty good numbers for the past few years.

I am so glad to hear this. I used to fish that pond most every weekend, before the state cut it in half :xmad:. I would take the dogs down there after dark and just lie on the bank drowning worms.

I'm pleased to think that what once was a rare occurrence, is now somewhat common-place.

lww

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    West Lafayette
    There were some pics in today's J&C: http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.d...20130215&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=302150024&Ref=PH

bilde

By Michael Heinz/Journal & Courier
    A convocation of Bald Eagle sit in a tree near the Wabash River Friday, February 15, 2013, in West Lafayette. Up to 20 of the eagles were spotted along the Wabash behind Williamsburg Apartments.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When I was at Purdue last year I lived on the Wabash and there were always 2 Bald Eagles right outside my window. Was pretty neat because the only place I'd seen them before was on my fishing trips to Canada. Later in the year there were 2 or 3 juvenile's who would land on branches to thin to support their weight and fall out of the tree, funny stuff.
    It's probably illegal or frowned upon but in Canada we'd stun the smaller small mouth we caught, toss them in the middle of the lake and the eagles would swoop down and grab them, made for great pictures.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Something positive the government is finally doing with our tax dollars! They are beautiful birds, but I've never seen any that are not in captivity. I hope one day they become more popular and I will be able to see them in their natural habitat.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Great Thread! My dad spotted one in Kokomo a year or two ago. I haven't seen one since I was a kid but they are always an awesome sight.

Top Bottom