• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Just wanted to let everyone in on a pretty poor experience I had with St. Joseph County Restoration Club in Osceola just outside South Bend (http://www.sjcrc.us). I joined this club as a normal member last year in July (July 2010). I paid the yearly fee of $65 and was told this was the normal fee for a year. This January I talked to the membership coordinator as they changed the lock in January about getting a new key. I was told I needed to pay $75 to get the key.

Apparently although I signed up in July memberships only run in calendar years. My full year payment of $65 only counted for the year of 2010. This was not explained to me when I signed up, nor anyone else who signed up that month, at least while I was within earshot, and I stayed for the full meeting.

I responded with a message stating that it seemed unfair to charge a yearly fee for only 6 months and then require another fully years payment (price went up between years). I made an offer to pay a pro-rated amount with some of my 2010 payment applying for the 2011 payment and from then on renewing in January for the full price.

This message was taken to the board meeting and I was quoted that one of the board members made the statement to "don't let the gate hit him in the ass on his way out."

Apparently, this not-for-profit club is willing to have a new member leave the club over what amounts to about $35 one time. I explained that I was new, didn't understand the policy and would fix it starting with the next year, but the only rebuttal I heard was "it's in the bylaws."

I'll protest by not rejoining the club, but it seems both silly and childish that they would treat a new member that way. I would simply say "buyer beware" when you join a club, and especially this one. Know where your money is going, and as was told to me "you should read the bylaws cover to cover before joining." I'll be joining Bend of the River Conservation Club I believe.

EDIT: I did want to say that the membership coordinator was a stand-up guy, took my concern seriously and never talked down, so this is certainly not a personal attack on him or anyone in the personally. It seems to be a bad way to run a supposedly "fun" shooting club and a good way to keep new shooters away.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    That's pretty typical. Although some clubs will let you join after October 1st and you're really paying for the next year.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So theoretically had you signed up December 31st, 2010 you would have only gotten one day's use for your $65? That seems pretty shady. I understand it being "in the by-laws" that the members should all read and know, but they could have mentioned it at the meeting too. It seems like that would be information that would be fairly important to mention. Good luck finding a new club!

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    That's pretty typical. Although some clubs will let you join after October 1st and you're really paying for the next year.

I dont know that this is true, I'm a member of Linden Conservation Club in Romney and when you join you have year from the end the last day of the month in which you register. So you get a year no matter what.

To the OP, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, thanks for posting though I've considered joingin the St. Joe range for someplace to shoot long range while at home but if I had had this experience I to would have been pretty mad, so I'm glad I didn't join now.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Update: I made a post on their forum (which I've been a member of since I joined last July) and explained the situation. It was MUCH less inflamatory than here, and I spun it simply that "By-laws are by-laws" but that new members should be aware of how this works and to be sure they know exactly what they are paying for. I made the same statement about it not being personal to the membership coordinator. Turns out, he's also the webmaster. He deleted the posting and removed my account from the forums.

Now I'm really pissed off. I'm trying to decide whether to go on a rampage (google reviews, new website, passing out flyers at meetings, etc.) to get this message out on how this club is treating people and not allowing it to be told....or just taking my ball and going to another club and letting this one go. There really isn't much to be gained other than maybe making them lose a few members. What a mess. I did save a screenshot showing the posting on their website along with my account name and such so there is proof it was there and then later deleted.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Actually, Atlanta's policy is half price after October 1st. So for $50 you get to shoot in October, November and December...

Up until September 30th, it is full price. So not even as good as what I said. Does this rule out new members in the second half of the year? Probably. Do they care. Doubtful. Did I know this ahead of time and choose to wait until January to join, yet I did...

I think the operative word here is CLUB. These clubs are staffed by volunteers. I ran an HOA for a couple of years. No way in heck would we allow dues to be paid on an anniversary basis. WAY too much accounting work for that crap. Plus you couldn't tell what your budget was going to be.

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this to the OP. I was considering joining SJCRC or BORCC. My decision is definitely made after hearing that this is how SJCRC runs their club. I guess as a consolation prize you caused them to lose at least 1 potential member!

Big House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    i am a member at the restoration club and i realy enjoy the freedom there. most of the time its just me at the range. i also was hosed the same way but its just over a minute from my driveway to the range so i deal with it.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I had no idea this was even here and was pretty excited to hear about it until your story. I live in Mishawaka just about a hop away. No way I am going to join now. Too bad they can't treat people professionally.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    The club I joined clearly stated how the membership dues are collected. The officers repeated the policy several times during the membership meeting. It was also boldly printed on the application form. You experience smacks of hiding bad stuff in the fine print. However, recommend drop it - spend time and energy on something constructive with another club.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I have been a member for 3 years. I joined knowing that it cost $60 (at the time) for the year regardless of when you join. Yeah it doesn't make sense on one hand but on the other hand do you expect them to prorate the fee by the day?

It is a great club. I have met a number of very nice people. I have shot some of their firearms and had some good conversations. I think $75 for a year membership is still pretty reasonable. They have put some money into the range and made it more usable the last couple years.

I do not go to the meetings I am more of a passive member. But I have talked with some of the board members individually and they are really nice guys.

Sorry for you bad experience...mine has been great.

Last edited:

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would say just leave it and move on to another Club. bringing it to everyone's attention here will definitely change people's mind about joining, as I see it already has. Maybe it will help them think about changing their rules, or atleast make it a mandatory topic to bring up in meetings for new members so this doesn't happen again.

Now removing the forum post and deleting the account is pretty ignorant in my opinion, so long as you kept your wording professional and clearly stated that it has nothing to do with the people you worked with, just the policy. This you would think should help new people to know, hey if I join in August I have to pay again in January.

Now if the board member really said "don't let the gate hit him in the ass on his way out" that is where I have a problem. That is very rude and unhelpful in dealing with an issue, it is just a taunt and way of encouraging a confrontation that is not needed in such a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom