• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I don't have a problem with them being unplated, just uninsured.

I feel they need to be insured, but if I had to take one or the other, I'd take licence plates. Accountability is a huge issue.

Scooter riders know that traffic laws are rarely enforced on them if at all, the same as the bicyclists. Just follow one in town and watch how many traffic laws they disregard. License plates would instill some responsibility, knowing that they can be readily identified. Nearly everyone has a camera in their pocket now days.

These "poor" :rolleyes: people do exactly and only what they need to to achieve their goal, the next buzz. What are their daily costs are for alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, fast food, junk food, cell phone service, cable, etc.?

Last edited:

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    if you can't do the time, don't do the crime... they lost their licenses for a reason.. don't want to walk, get a bike... ZERO sympathy.. I lost my grandfather to a drunk...

as for the rest, it's a motorized vehicle travelling on a road... should be registered, plated, and insured... i don't care about the helmet bit... what you do to your melon ain't my business..

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    if you can't do the time, don't do the crime... they lost their licenses for a reason.. don't want to walk, get a bike... ZERO sympathy.. I lost my grandfather to a drunk...

as for the rest, it's a motorized vehicle travelling on a road... should be registered, plated, and insured... i don't care about the helmet bit... what you do to your melon ain't my business..

We're in agreement. I catch hell for my bad attitude toward impaired drivers, but we're all supposed to be adults, and if you get behind the wheel buzzed, you deserve to sit in the slammer, lose your job, and spend the rest of your life thinking about your bad decisions. Too many completely innocent people are killed by impaired drivers. Don't care if it is booze, weed, pills, or Vick's cough syrup...don't be stupid. Don't try to drive buzzed. Get a cab.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mike...a letter writing campaign can be started at the grassroot level. They will need to put down the video game and pick up a pencil though. I LOVE riding scooters, they are great fun but leting them run around uninsured is stupid. They weigh a couple hundred pounds, and move at 25-30 mph...that's one hell of an impact when they hit the side of your car or run over your kid. I don't have a problem with them being unplated, just uninsured.
    Actually, I was polled by my state rep on this matter and gave a written response. Looks like the haters got their way.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

I don't want to drift too far off topic, but when you consider what you might pay in more taxes, health insurance premiums, etc. for a motorcyclist with a head injury, you might change your mind.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mike...do you think everyone that disagrees with you is a hater? Oh brother. Get some big boy pants on and suck it up a little.
    Who said that? Not me. I was talking about scooter haters. What don't you understand about that? What a leap you took there froggy!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Me, I guess I'm jealous that a 49 cc scooter gets a free pass on the roads and I pay more for my 161 cc scooter plate than my F150. From a road maintenance standpoint, that's not fair.

Is the answer more laws? Rarely is that the answer.

I'm somewhat indifferent, a low cost plate without the req. for an operator license or insurance is not that onerous.

What really makes me upset is 150 cc class scooters without plates.

Part of the problem (well exhibited here on INGO in the thread) is the DUI-mobile stigma. The only reason someone would ride a 49 cc scooter is because they can't drive. There's a lot of riders that can't afford a car or maybe just want a low cost small vehicle. In big cities, a 49 cc scooter is a perfectly acceptable mode of transportation, but not here in Indiana.

What would fix this? Not plates; that won't change perception.

Maybe if more middle class people would ride then public opinion would would sway.

and...
    :ranton:
    Maybe if these brain dead riders would actually treat their scooter as a serious vehicle! Stop riding on bike trails and sidewalks! Stop dangling your feet while riding! Stop wearing flip-flops! Stop removing the muffler! Start wearing safety gear! Start acting like you have right of way too on slower city streets! Stop riding on high speed roads you have no business riding on! Start obeying the laws! Start riding with proper vehicle lighting!

You are operating on a city street and can cause a lot of damage if you screw up and can receive a serious hurtin' when hit.

Me? No way am I riding a 49 cc, too slow for my taste. :cool:

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    :ranton:
    Maybe if these brain dead riders would actually treat their scooter as a serious vehicle! Stop riding on bike trails and sidewalks! Stop dangling your feet while riding! Stop wearing flip-flops! Stop removing the muffler! Start wearing safety gear! Start acting like you have right of way too on slower city streets! Stop riding on high speed roads you have no business riding on! Start obeying the laws! Start riding with proper vehicle lighting!

You are operating on a city street and can cause a lot of damage if you screw up and can receive a serious hurtin' when hit.

Me? No way am I riding a 49 cc, too slow for my taste. :cool:

uh... the people riding these scooters are either young people not old enough to get a drivers license and haven't learned the about the laws of the road yet or people that use to be automobile operators that disregarded the laws of the road so now they ride scooters and still don't care about the laws of the road. :dunno:
    I know a few people that meet the criteria of the mentioned second. I'm pretty sure that many of them will continue to disregard current and/or future laws as well. I will take it a step further as to say the laws will be seldom enforced probably due to more serious problems at hand. This should be the least of our worries.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Part of the problem (well exhibited here on INGO in the thread) is the DUI-mobile stigma. The only reason someone would ride a 49 cc scooter is because they can't drive. There's a lot of riders that can't afford a car or maybe just want a low cost small vehicle. In big cities, a 49 cc scooter is a perfectly acceptable mode of transportation, but not here in Indiana.

What would fix this? Not plates; that won't change perception.

Maybe if more middle class people would ride then public opinion would would sway.
    uh... the people riding these scooters are either young people not old enough to get a drivers license and haven't learned the about the laws of the road yet or people that use to be automobile operators that disregarded the laws of the road so now they ride scooters and still don't care about the laws of the road. :dunno:
    I know a few people that meet the criteria of the mentioned second. I'm pretty sure that many of them will continue to disregard current and/or future laws as well. I will take it a step further as to say the laws will be seldom enforced probably due to more serious problems at hand. This should be the least of our worries.

Wow. You just proved me right. The fact that you've read my post then went right ahead and lumped all scooter riders into the category of "riding because they can't get a driver's license". I'll state it again, some people do choose to ride a scooter instead of driving a car.

Let's go to a big city (Madison, WI would be my choice) and I can prove my assertion in about thirty minutes.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I must have been in a different category when I had my "scooter". I have a license, I've never had a DUI or any traffic violation, I rode mine to work to save money. With my old gas hog and a short distance to work, I saved over $60 a month in fuel costs. Now I wish I had it back. ;)

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    if the person looks like a ass clown on a scooter and doesnt move over to let people pass. ill open the cutouts and down shift going around them. always scares the **** out of them!. ya im a ******* sometimes, but what else is 500hp good for? lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    if the person looks like a ass clown on a scooter and doesnt move over to let people pass. ill open the cutouts and down shift going around them. always scares the **** out of them!. ya im a ******* sometimes, but what else is 500hp good for? lol

Well, that is only one benefit.....:)

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    jeez guys, who cares...its an affordable means of transportation, and it is convenient for young people whos parents wont drive them around....i like to go fast too, but if you want to complain, why dont you start with the bikers and the bike lanes............i just dont get the animosity towards the moped people i guess (no, i dont have a moped)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think the animosity toward the moped crowd may vary depending on where you live. They are probably more acceptable in town or on a road with a lower speed limit. When I see them on the highway at night with no lights on or two or three people piled on one, I see them as an accident waiting to happen. If I hit one because they were not visible, whose fault is that going to be? Whose insurance is going to be involved and whose rates will go up? I have no problem with adults or kids riding them responsibly, but when they are creating a traffic hazard, that is a different situation entirely.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    No problems with responsible riders at all. I enjoy scooter riding, they are a lot of fun, and they are economical if you must rely on them for your mode of transportation to and from the job.

I would like to see all scooters be insured.
    I would like to see the existing scooter laws being enforced.
    I would like to see some level of training offered (not mandated) to the new scooter buyer.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    No problems with responsible riders at all. I enjoy scooter riding, they are a lot of fun, and they are economical if you must rely on them for your mode of transportation to and from the job.

I would like to see all scooters be insured.
    I would like to see the existing scooter laws being enforced.
    I would like to see some level of training offered (not mandated) to the new scooter buyer.

A little training for the 50's would be of benefit. For >50, the L endorsement is required just as much as for a hawg.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Speaking of which... when did the letter change? It used to be M, but when I got my new license this month it's now L.

Huh, didn't know that. I wonder how much taxpayer money was expended on studies to determine the superiority of "L" over "M" to denote a motorcycle endorsement. Well, I'll have my "M" until my license renewal in 2018....at which time they will probably have switched back to "M".

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    Wow. You just proved me right. The fact that you've read my post then went right ahead and lumped all scooter riders into the category of "riding because they can't get a driver's license". I'll state it again, some people do choose to ride a scooter instead of driving a car.

Let's go to a big city (Madison, WI would be my choice) and I can prove my assertion in about thirty minutes.

Let's face it... no one in there right mind chooses to ride a scooter when they are allowed to use something better. :): I was profiling btw and that is wrong.:):

Top Bottom