• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Making a backstop at home for occasional shooting and load testing- nothing too serious, just want to make sure no strays leave my place. Probably be mostly .22s and pistols with a V-max out of a hi-power every once in a while from 25-50 yards.
    Pushing up a berm isn't an option, sand filled tires are too ugly, I'm leaning towards a large 3/8" plate set on a 45 degree angle with about a foot of sand under it and an enclosure out of treated 2" lumber on 3 sides for added protection and to make it a little easier on the eyes.
    Has anybody had any experience shooting into an angled plate, and should 3/8" cold rolled be sufficient or do I need to go thicker? I'm thinking with the angle the rounds would be more inclined to drop into the sand than penetrate the plate.
    Thanks,
    Jason

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    .308 at most and not very likely- in all actuality probably not bigger than a .22-250 shooting varmint bullets- I'm thinking if I shoot only cast or soft-point bullets (no FMJs)a 3/8" plate at a 45 degree angle I should be OK.
    I've never really shot at a steel plate and was wondering if anyone else was using one for a backstop.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    I know far less than a lot of the guys on this form. But I use to go over to my pastors house and shoot with him from time to time he used 3/8in plate set up in the back yard like you are talking about used for pistol only he never had any problems. But some of the other guys know better than me.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I remember seeing someone who just made a wooden box filled with sand. It had several sections about 6" thick if I remember right. It seems like the test rounds stayed in the first 6". I plan to build a box similar to that. I'll try to find where I saw that.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Box o Truth- I was on there earlier tonite, 6" stopped about anything, trouble is, after a few shots you would have a sandpile instead of a box of sand. I was thinking a layer of old rubber conveyor belt or something similar screwed to the front of the box would slow the leakage down.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use 1/2 inch plate indoors at 30 ft 45 degrees. .22lr and pistol, barely leaves a mark on the steel, I do get some junk flying around sometimes though, working on that.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i know for a fact that 3/8" plate won't stop a 8x57......i bet 2 308's in the same spot would punch it out....

Last edited:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I've been doing a lot of research on bullet traps and there seems to be lots of .22 traps available, but that is were is stops. I have not been able to find a supplier of non-commercial bullet traps suited for big bore pistols and rifles. I have seen one design that I think can be made for a moderate price. If you can imagine a pizza box with the lid open at a 45° angle, but with solid sides. I am going to draw up a materials list and get several quotes to see if it financially feasible. Maybe this might be something one of the local safe manufacturers would consider undertaking? Sure would beat shooting into a sack of logs...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    i know for a fact that 3/8" plate won't stop a 8x57......i bet 2 308's in the same spot would punch it out....
    +1 3/8 mild steel isn't stopping multiple hits. IMHO, if this is for any sort of backstop where there is zero tolerance for bullets going beyond, you need some AR500 plate. It's going to be expensive, but it will hold up to multiple impacts.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    There is a huge difference in the grade and thickness of a piece of steel needed to stop a round and what is needed to deflect a round. If you researched bullet traps you no doubt saw the variety made of 1/8" mild steel with a slanted back. I fashioned one out of 1/4" steel some time ago and have shot it with .22, .223, 9mm , .45acp and one round of .300 Win Mag. None of these left even a dent. I don't fire centerfire rifles into it anymore (I am concerned about the misses ending up a mile or more down the road), but I would if I had even a small backstop behind the box.

ymmv,:twocents:

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    Made a bullet trap this weekend.. 30"x30" heavy plate steel set at 45 degree angle on 2x4 frame. .22 and 9mm disintegrated or dug a hole in the dirt on impact. Worked flawlessly.

jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Anything smaller than 1/2 when shooting a .308 is asking for trouble. Its always better to error on the side of caution in this case.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    A friend of mine has one built up similar to what you are planning to do and it works great. He used 4x4 lumber on the 2 sides and behind the steel and then put dirt on the 2 sides and behind and planted grass on it and it looked nice and functiioned very well.It stands about 4 ft. high and is about 5ft. wide. He has shot every caliber possible and has not had a problem. thegeez

Top Bottom