• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    If anyone is looking at getting into Hammocking cheap, Woot is haveing a sale on the Yukon Outfitters hammocks. The double is a great beginners hammock, and its only $20 today!!! Sport.Woot
    I have 2 of the doubles and 2 of the netted ones. If your tall (around 6ft or taller) the netted one wont be comfortable. I got them for the kids.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have used both tent and hammock, if it's in the warmer months you will be in good shape with the hammock. I prefer the tent though, largely because I don't want to be dependent on some trees being in the right place and I tend to slide into the middle of the hammock. As someone mentioned above, I find sleeping on my back hard to do.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Hammock mostly for me now (ENO Double Nest) unless I'm in an alpine-ish environment. A good tarp will give just as much privacy as any tent. I've been using a cat tarp from Hennessy and it's huge. Not my pic, but you get the idea....

Jq4WfTG.jpg

If you're going to hang, use straps so you don't tear up trees.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I was very shocked to find how well I could sleep in a hammock. I absolutely cannot sleep on my back in a bed.

The trick without question is to master the "hammock angle". Your head and shoulders are slightly elevated, and you don't hyperextend your knees.

Example (not me):

hammock_angle_flat.jpg

I think the reason you can't sleep on your back in a bed but can in your hammock is the same reason I can't sleep on my back in a bed but can fall asleep in an recliner 10 minutes into the news is the same....I just don't know what that reason is....:dunno:

BTW a very nice set up you had in your post above this one....:yesway:

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    I have tents and hammocks. I will take my hammock over my tent every time unless I am winter camping, with my wife or in a tree less environment. The picture Hooky posted above is very close to my set up. I have a warbonnet blackbird and warbonnet tarp. The hammock is light and I use a sleeping bag in the hammock if it will be chilly. I have a friend with a Hennessy hammock and he used a reflective space blanket under his to block wind and said it worked well.

I am one of the people who simply cannot sleep on my back in a bed. It was one big reason I was hesitant on buying a hammock. The first time I tried my hammock in my backyard I was hooked. Eventually, I will buy an underquilt and topquilt but those are not required if you already have other gear, they just make things simpler and lighter.

Definitely check out the hammock forums and you will get a ton of ideas on how to have a set up and not all of them have to be expensive and involved, you can do a whole set up for well under $100 if you know where to look.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If I am going a place with trees I always go with a hammock. These days typically a Hennessy UL backpacker, but I have an Explorer deluxe that has weathered more weather than I care to recall. The things hold up like champs and if you sleep easily in them there isn't a more comfortable bed in the outdoors.

Were trees are scarce I like Hilleberg's offerings. When weight is not a concern I like the layout of the Staika model and where it is, Soulo.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Unsure of your budget, but here's what I use:

Tent: https://www.sierradesigns.com/product/flashlight-1-ul (2lb 4 oz)

Pad: NeoAir Xtherm | Inflatable Camping Air Mattress | Therm-a-Rest (1lb 4 oz)

Bag: Sawtooth | Marmot.com (2lb 11oz)

Total Weight: 6lb 3 oz.

Will keep me (er... HAS kept me) warm and dry down to 15 degrees F.

Packs small (hint: do NOT use the tent bag to pack your tent... Stuff the tent loose into your backpack. It will fill the gaps better) and easy to set up even if there aren't any trees around.

Top Bottom