• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I haven't found a good bag for what I want after much looking. I thought I would put a query up to see if someone has a good solution.

I need a laptop backpack (or shoulder bag, but backpack preferred) that looks professional. This rules out OD, Tan, and Camo to me.

It should carry a normal 15" laptop plus associated pieces that go with every laptop. Place for drives, papers, etc.

I would also like a compartment that allows easy access to a full sized pistol, flashlight and a few mags. This is where I run into problems.

I currently use a backpack with side pockets that allows my P3AT with a spare mag in a pocket holster. But I would love to move up to a G19. I just can't find the bag to make it happen.

Maxpedition has great bags, but they all scream paramilitary. That is OK for hiking, but sticks out like a sore thumb in the professional/IT world.

Anyone have a solution they like?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't BC (Backpack Carry), but I do carry a backpack!

It is a Samsonite.
    Samsonite Business Cases Computer Backpack

This is the current model. Mine is slightly different. It has a side pocket that a small frame handgun would fit in, and the front pocket would hold a full size with no problem. This new model looks even better for storage.

This is the first backpack or laptop bag that has lasted more than a year for me, and it still look good. I travel a bit, and this fits under an airline seat easily and has a well-padded compartment for my laptop.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have two suggestions. First, Swiss Alps (same group as makes the Swiss Army knives, watches, etc.) has a good selection of backpacks. The one I currently use has a padded computer section, with room for books, files, pens, portable HD, etc. Also has two netting pockets, one on each side, that are perfect for a G26. Works great for me, even though I prefer to carry in a Galco Summer Comfort or a Blackhawk Serpa. Link: http://www.thefind.com/computers/info-synergy-computer-backpack

Second, Everki Cruise shoulder pack. It is designed as a computer bag so it has all the requisite interior pockets, padding, nooks and hooks. Well made and comfortable. The two side pockets are build to carry a mouse, not a Glock, but the large zippered net pocket on the front center would be a great carry location. You would need to add a cover to the net, though, to conceal the weapon behind it.

Link: http://www.thefind.com/apparel/info-cruise-sling. Scroll down to the photo and click the "quick details" that appears when you mouse over it.

Description bu no photos here: Everki Cruise 15.4" Sling Laptop Backpack *Special for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

FYI, I have a brand new one. Still in the box never use, totally black. I will sell for $25+shipping.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    As someone who carries lots of things in lots of interesting ways (not pistols, still waiting on the LTCH) I want to point out two major issues. One, backpacks are thief targets. Even more so if they look like they are designed for a laptop. Im sure you know this, but I have to point it out. I have been mugged (and won!) and I KNOW my bag was the target, since the first words were "Give us your bag!". They didnt want my wallet or cell phone till after that. Second, you WILL be separated from your bag, and at some point someone will probably sneak a peak in. Again, Im sure you have thought about this, but I want be sure. Bag carry doesnt seem all that practical to me. It separates you from your weapon. If you are expecting it to keep your firearm concealed, dont. You have no idea how many times I have caught someone looking through a bag. If you chose to carry like this, it goes without saying that you must keep it on you at all times.

Good luck in your search for a bag. I would start looking on Amazon for one that fits your professional requirements first, then analyze it for how/where you would store your pistol. Hopefully someone might have a good suggestion though.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I understand the theft side. I work in a gated area that has restricted access. I walk from the building to the car and vice versa. So this is essentially a method to have a weapon close, if the worst were to happen. It would be in a locked drawer at work or in the car with me. It also carries some things that would make solving problems easier. Leatherman. Lithium battery powered LED flashlight, etc.

Basically, it fits my threat risk vs risk of being caught and fired curve better than on person carry.

This one is interesting, but not $200 worth of interesting: Did somebody say "tactical" discreet "Man Purse"?? HSGI ARMORDILLA BAG *56k Hooray* - AR15.COM

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I like: Leather Laptop Bags - Leather Laptop Cases : Saddleback Leather Company

Salty, but definitely not tacticool and will last forever. I use mine as a shoulder bag 99% of the time but it can easily be fixed up as a moderately comfortable backpack. It will hold a 15" MBP, power supply, zippered 8.5x11 notebook, and a pistol. Not sure how many mags is in 'a few' but I'd guess a couple spares would fit somewhere.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a Swissgear backpack for my computer. Very well made, lots of room, but a little expensive. I have had it for about ten years and been well worth the money.

I do mostly use mine for my computer and associated gear. Lots of room, I don't think I ever filled it up. I also carry a small flashlight with extra batteries and a Leatherman Wave in it. A few pencils and pens with plenty of paper. Also my extra charger for my cell phone. I still would have plenty of room to add a gun and a couple extra mags.

If you are wanting a backpack type, I would recommend it.

NosmoKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The guys over at DPG recommended just such a backpack when I went through their course. It was made by Black Bags LLC (Black Bags, LLC). Simply put...it rocks!

You can even get a discount by buying through their Ebay store (Black Bags LLC Tactical Nylon Gear items - Get great deals on Backpack, Law Enforcement items on eBay Stores!). It also appears they have one of their previous models available at a crazy low price.

Nosmo

Yeah, $40+$12sh for that looked pretty good. Not sure how much changed from the Mod-5 to Mod-7, but I decided to grab it. Closest to what I had in my mind I've seen so far. It will probably be fairly easy to get rid of for the same amount if I decide against it. I'll post in here once it arrives.

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    One, backpacks are thief targets. Even more so if they look like they are designed for a laptop. Im sure you know this, but I have to point it out.

I was thinking the same thing here. The last thing you want the thief to do is to take your bag and the trouble is multiplied when they are getting both your property and your weapon. This is also why I tell females they shouldn't carry in their purse unless it is their only option.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I need a laptop backpack that looks professional

I'm sorry but as a Guy who's done IT for Banking Institutions, Sports teams and currently works in the engineering department for one of the worlds largest Telecom companies, no backpack ever looks "Professional".

Period.

You aren't going to ever walk into a meeting with directors and VP's and see anyone else pull their laptop out of a backpack.

That being said, if you're end user desktop/network support you really aren't expected to appear at a corporate level of "Professional", you're generally expected to maintain a business to business casual dress appearance while being efficient and effective. I would consider a plain multi-compartment backpack to be the bare minimum to meet a business casual end user support bag.

If you often attend meetings with Manager-Director-VP types, then go with a nice shoulder bag like the rest of the crowd. The last thing you want to do is draw unwanted attention to yourself.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm sorry but as a Guy who's done IT for Banking Institutions, Sports teams and currently works in the engineering department for one of the worlds largest Telecom companies, no backpack ever looks "Professional".

Period.

You aren't going to ever walk into a meeting with directors and VP's and see anyone else pull their laptop out of a backpack.

That being said, if you're end user desktop/network support you really aren't expected to appear at a corporate level of "Professional", you're generally expected to maintain a business to business casual dress appearance while being efficient and effective. I would consider a plain multi-compartment backpack to be the bare minimum to meet a business casual end user support bag.

If you often attend meetings with Manager-Director-VP types, then go with a nice shoulder bag like the rest of the crowd. The last thing you want to do is draw unwanted attention to yourself.

I'm in IT. I don't meet with VPs and High Level folks, I just keep the stuff running that without which we wouldn't have a company, while getting pissed on, like most other IT folks. :)

I used to be in consulting and understand that meeting with different clients with varying levels of dress codes and standards, it is better to err on the more professional. I'm no longer in that situation.

I guess I should have said, I want a backpack that doesn't look "tactical". A backpack works for my environment, with the added benefit of allowing me to use it to pack things for a walk home if required, with food and other stores already in my desk. That is not as easy over long distances with a shoulder bag, in my experience.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've got a Lands End canvas briefcase/attache case that long predates my carrying a laptop computer. Although I don't use it for such, it still has plenty of room for computer, accessories, and a firearm/magazines. Of course, not being leather, it still won't pass the "Boardroom Professional" test - unless you are in Oregon or Washington State...

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    I've always been partial to Oakley gear. Honestly they offer total poser bags, trying to look tough while still being high end and edgy looking. But they work well and the style is not so "inside the box" or too "tacticool".

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I like: Leather Laptop Bags - Leather Laptop Cases : Saddleback Leather Company

Salty, but definitely not tacticool and will last forever. I use mine as a shoulder bag 99% of the time but it can easily be fixed up as a moderately comfortable backpack. It will hold a 15" MBP, power supply, zippered 8.5x11 notebook, and a pistol. Not sure how many mags is in 'a few' but I'd guess a couple spares would fit somewhere.

I really like those. I cant justify spending $400 on it though. Well, I can justify it in my mind, but apparently that doesnt matter :rolleyes:

Top Bottom