• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Tell me why this would not be a good idea....

Issuing a card/license/"insert whatever" to individuals that allows them to buy any gun when displayed because said individual has committed no crimes that invalidate 2A rights to own/purchase a gun.

Renew every 4 years.

Repeal NCIS.

I DO want to hear your pros/cons BUT start with current law. I DON'T want to hear about how the 2A means we shoujldn't have any background checking etc. as we have ALL submitted to that for a long time if we buy any NEW guns.

Thanks

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    the NICS is constantly maintained. In those 4 years, you could have committed a crime that would prohibit you from owning a firearm. pretty straightforward.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    One problem is that your background doesn't remain static for four years. Your check from a couple of years ago doesn't mean that you should still be eligible to purchase a gun. The LTCH check that many people currently do has this same flaw however, it is the best that private individuals have to verify proper person status in Indiana.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Red tape. Databases aren't maintained now. Countless people are denied for bad info, many are denied legitimately and never prosecuted, thus leaving them on the streets to get someone to make a strawpurchase, steal one or buy one otherwise illegally.

The law now was ill thought out, political nature is to double down on mistakes instead of fixing things. Why give them even more reason to EFF things up?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    the NICS is constantly maintained. In those 4 years, you could have committed a crime that would prohibit you from owning a firearm. pretty straightforward.

Ok I understand that. What about 1 year though?

What I would am trying to plumb here is a compromise between the background check push for EVERY purchase vs the wish for privacy.

Ideally I would like a system that allows purchases, protects from known criminals making purchases, but also protects the average law abiding citizen from privacy intrustions.

Or to state it another way.

I don't mind if anyone knows I am legally able to purchase and have committed no crimes, but I don't want to worry about the govt knowing about every single time I could make a purchase.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Red tape. Databases aren't maintained now. Countless people are denied for bad info, many are denied legitimately and never prosecuted, thus leaving them on the streets to get someone to make a strawpurchase, steal one or buy one otherwise illegally.

The law now was ill thought out, political nature is to double down on mistakes instead of fixing things. Why give them even more reason to EFF things up?

true, you can get denied for bad info, however, you can file paperwork to clear yourself of the "bad info"

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    if it is a private sale , they can use the fact your selling guns without a FFL . they won't know if your making a profit or not . they will be able to keep track of how many you sell , then arrest you for dealing without a license.

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    I have been denied the opportunity to purchase gun before on day that i was at shop, had to come back four days later after postponment finally straighten out. And then they were only allowed to release gun because they had not recieved notification that i couldn't get a gun. What a joke

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I have been denied the opportunity to purchase gun before on day that i was at shop, had to come back four days later after postponment finally straighten out. And then they were only allowed to release gun because they had not recieved notification that i couldn't get a gun. What a joke
    you were not denied the opportunity to buy a gun. You bought it, you were denied the opportunity to take it home that day. Happens a lot. Come up with a better system, I'd be all for it

AlphaSig112

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Lawrence
    I am for having a license to purchase a firearm that essentially allows me to not fill out the paperwork. I would not mind having a license number that has to be called in to verify validity of the license. Where I have a problem is with the idea that the government could track my weapons through my license. I would go so far as to say to make private sales more legitimate you can only sell to people with a license to buy. I just don't know how feasible this is.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I am for having a license to purchase a firearm that essentially allows me to not fill out the paperwork. I would not mind having a license number that has to be called in to verify validity of the license. Where I have a problem is with the idea that the government could track my weapons through my license. I would go so far as to say to make private sales more legitimate you can only sell to people with a license to buy. I just don't know how feasible this is.

To do what your proposing would require registration. His many sales would or could still happen without a license? Crooks would still be crooks and still get guns. No amount of laws will stop it.

We just need to be firm with the punishments . That would help when they get caught.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    one of the biggest scams. is identity theft. background checks only work on honest people

I believe dhnorris has summed it up. Any restriction placed on the 2A only impacts law abiding citizens. A criminal will continue to break the law regardless. Why don't we consider laws that target the criminals instead of those who choose to walkbthe line?

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    How about this. an ID card with the information from the form.

Every time you want to buy a gun, the gun shop simply swipes the ID card to do the background check instead of having to make a phone call it's all computerized.

Top Bottom