• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    dross:To hijack my own thread, a couple of questions, as I'm thinking of buying a 300 win mag.

What model do you have? Rugers and Remingtons, in 300, 35 Whelen, 338 and a few others.
    How accurate is it? All less than 3" at 100 yards standing, much better on a bench, much worse when getting chased by a bear.
    How's the recoil? It's a damned bear, who cares? (With a good trigger and Simms recoil pad, you can shoot in a t-shirt)
    What the hell do you use it for in Indiana? Coyote's, and outside the state, elk, mulies, pronghorns, whitetails, bears, and more coyotes.

you're welcome to try any of them, they're all fun.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    you really do not need a large caliber. a .22 will slow your friend down enough that you will be able to out run him. sorry but someone was going to say it:D

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    A reliable 12 guage shotgun loaded with Remington Premier Accutip .58 caliber 385 grain bonded saboted slugs.

Your are backing up a bow shooter, that distance should fall in the effective range of a reliable 12 guage shotgun.

Good luck, have fun, and you have to tell the story later.

Last edited:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Ruger M77 all weather in 300 win mag...I had the trigger worked down to 3 pound pull and a muzzle break installed...it is deadly accurate.

I took a Moose (yeah I know it is not a bear) at 75 yards...put 3 rounds in in under a couple of seconds in a 5 inch group off had, he took 3 steps and went down in a heap. I would use at least 185 grain bullet or larger...

I also carry a 375 winchester lever action with 220 grain bullets...fast to shoot and hits like a bomb..similar to the marlins mentioned above.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Most alaskan guides suggest shotgun

True, and they carry them with slugs, at least the ones I know of do. 338mag is a popular rifle carried by the guides up there if you're into the rifles.

Steve

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The .45-70 is powerful only when reloaded to pressures much greater than commercial loads, otherwise it is just a 19th century black powder cartridge.
    Well actually there are SOME commercial loads that are effective, because they come loaded to modern pressures. You are correct that many of the loads for the 45-70 are modest, but not all.

CorBon make some great loads for dangerous game.

Corbon 45-70 Govt 460 Grain Hard Cast

Cor-Bon loads hit with more authority and a special formulation of powders accomplishes the task with reduced muzzle flash. Upon impact they will expand creating a devastating mushroom plowing through tough hide and bone.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Mfg Item Num: HT4570460HC
    Category: AMMO CENTERFIRE
    Caliber :45-70 Govt
    Bullet Type :Hard Cast
    Bullet Weight :460 GR
    Muzzle Energy :2780 ft lbs
    Muzzle Velocity :1650 fps

Rounds/box :20 Rounds Per Box, 18 Boxes Per Case

UPC: 757750458222​
    This particular load has more energy than most of the 12 gauge slugs I know of.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    shot a 1895 Winchester .405 about 2 weeks ago. think that would do the trick .....teddy's old safari gun :)

btw i want one now

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A Remington wingmaster 870 smooth bore slug barrel open sights and some good old foster style slugs. Tou can't really beat an ounce of lead especially when you KNOW it will go bang five times in a row.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I would choose an autoloader

I know you said back up rifles :dunno:

but i would take a

A Benelli 12g with slugs.
    or a Saiga 12g with slugs. with 8 rd mag

Both ULTRA reliable in very extreme climate conditions,
    and could hit a bear chasing you under 75 yrds effectivly.

:twocents:INDYK

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I know you said back up rifles :dunno:

but i would take a

A Benelli 12g with slugs.
    or a Saiga 12g with slugs. with 8 rd mag

Both ULTRA reliable in very extreme climate conditions,
    and could hit a bear chasing you under 75 yrds effectivly.

:twocents:INDYK

+1 on the Saiga 12...I was going to suggest the 20 rd. drum, but there have been issues with shell compression over the long term. YMMV.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A Remington wingmaster 870 smooth bore slug barrel open sights and some good old foster style slugs. Tou can't really beat an ounce of lead especially when you KNOW it will go bang five times in a row.

Well that is why I recommended the Cor Bon 45-70 loads above. The round contains 460grains of lead. Using standard measurements, 437 grains is 1 ounce. Using Troy measurements 480 grains is one ounce. Either way, that Cor-Bon is pushing out about an ounce of lead.

Better yet, its pushing it out at 1650 feet per second.

Most shotgun slugs in the 1 ounce range fire at about the same velocity, some a little slower, some a little faster. So there is no real advantage to the shotgun that I can see. The smaller lever gun would be easier to tote in the back country too.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Well that is why I recommended the Cor Bon 45-70 loads above. The round contains 460grains of lead. Using standard measurements, 437 grains is 1 ounce. Using Troy measurements 480 grains is one ounce. Either way, that Cor-Bon is pushing out about an ounce of lead.

Better yet, its pushing it out at 1650 feet per second.

Most shotgun slugs in the 1 ounce range fire at about the same velocity, some a little slower, some a little faster. So there is no real advantage to the shotgun that I can see. The smaller lever gun would be easier to tote in the back country too.

Don't forget the Garrett Hammerhead loads.
    420-GR SUPER-HARD-CAST GAS-CHECKED HAMMERHEAD AT 1850-FPS
    ENERGY: 3200 FT/LBS; TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE: 51
    They also make a 540 grain load.:rockwoot:

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    photo_1895SBL.jpg

Marlin 1895G or GS or SBL "Guide Gun" Lever Action in 45-70

Blue >>> Marlin Model 1895G "Guide Gun"
    Stainless >>> Marlin Model 1895GS
    Stainless SBL >>> Marlin Model 1895SBL

photo_1895GS.jpg

Yep! With a mag full of 405 grain jsp's :yesway:

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    If you're gonna take a shotgun, check out Dixie Slugs:

Dixie Slugs Simply The Most Powerful

I could have sworn they used to offer a 3.5" Terminator with something like 3500 ft/lbs of energy, but all that is listed now is the 3". Must be the 3.5" was just too much.

Or, don't forget Buffalo Bore for the 45-70's

Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business

I beleive these are the most powerful out there, but I guess that isn't necessarily a good thing for bullet weight retention and what-not.

Maybe the good ol .500 S&W as well, if you're a pistolero.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Go with the shotgun - nothing can match the energy and reliability.

Also, consider the handgun to go with you too. Doesn't really matter what it is loaded for - the most good they do is for you to put under your chin and pull the trigger while Mr. Brown Bear is enjoying his snack.

Top Bottom