• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Maybe you are not putting the ear plugs in correctly if they are not providing enough protection. You can't just shove them in they must be put in in right to work properly.

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    For safety glasses, check out the links below. I wear the Uvex in the second link if I'm wearing my glasses. Otherwise I wear my contacts and use different safety glasses.

As for the ear plugs. In my personal experience they work fine and they are much more comfortable that any muffs. The muffs and safety glasses are a bother where the safety glasses - frames contacts the muffs before the wrapping around the ears. Also, I get regular hearing tests (work related) and my hearing is fine with the use of the ear plugs.

Click --> Eyewear - Safety - Grainger Industrial Supply

Click --> Eyewear, Safety, Gray - Protective Eyewear - Eyewear - Safety : Grainger Industrial Supply

These are the most comfortable ear plugs that I use. Have been using them for many years.

Click ---> Ear Plug, Reusable, Pr - Earplugs - Hearing Protection - Safety : Grainger Industrial Supply

Good luck in your search.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    fixed.

Electrical/Audio Engineer here...

3dB is a doubling/halving of power. dB=10log(P1/P2)

6dB is a doubling/halving of voltage. dB=20log(V1/V2)

10dB is an apparent doubling/halving of apparent loudness; this is a psychoacoustically tested and scientifically accepted number.

So, it takes twice as much amplifier power to increase the sound output by 3dB, but...

The human ear hears a 10dB increase (decrease) as twice (half) as loud.

Loudness: Definition from Answers.com
    Lets not get the shorts in a bind. Reference was to acoustic power,(which I percieve as the most damaging in this discussion), nothing more. As you point out, the formula for acoustic power ratios is the same as electrical power. I didn't intend to reference Loudness--another function altogether. merely pointing out the importance of the NRR. Thanks for the peer review! You also a AES member?

Top Bottom