• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    So I've bought into the gun craze - I found a few guns I like, I've been to a couple gun shows, I've been to a few INGO gatherings...but I don't have ears I like yet. :( Help!

My needs: Okay, I'm a chick. I don't want my hair messed up TOO much. But more than that, I don't want giant ear muffs that weigh 10 pounds and make it hard for me to move my head. Because of that, I've chosen to wear just ear plugs for most of my shooting outings. I like that they're not obstructive, but I just don't think I'm getting the protection I need. I ran into a couple ladies at Applied Ballistics last weekend and asked about their electronic ears...except that I'm an idiot and didn't bother to ask the brand. So, suggestions?

Also, what do you shooters who normally wear glasses do? I tend to just wear my glasses. I hate contacts, so that's not an option for me. When I'm outside, though, there's that sun problem unless I invest in prescription sunglasses. However, being as fashionably stylish as I am, my glasses probably aren't as large as I need for eye protection. I've found that my face and glasses are small enough that I can wear actual protective eyewear over them, but is that a good choice?

Thanks for the help!

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I tried on a few pairs of electronic muffs, read a ton of online reviews, and went with Howard Leight Impact Sports (NRR 22db). I found them on Amazon for $45, no sales tax and free shipping.

During a recent training session, I found the electronic muffs really paid off as I didn't need to take them on/off while the instructor was giving me commands/advice. Also, I found these to be slimmer and lighter than some other pairs that I tried on.

YMMV, but good luck!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Peltor TAC-6s or the previously mentioned Leights would be a good choice. I wear Peltor's Tac Sports, but they are probably a little more high-profile than what you're wanting. Ditto the Caldwells that Midway USA recently had on sale for $20.00 or so.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I wear earplugs. I wore them in the Army and have shot many fireworks shows with earplugs. They work for me on the range also.

As far as eye pro goes. I wear a pair of Oakley sunglasses with impact rated lenses.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I have the Radians Pro Amps. They work great, but I have big ears and after about 30 minutes they start to hurt. I have a non electronic pair of radians I use at school and I love them. They are deeper then the electronic muffs and I think that is what my issue is. If it wasn't for the fact that I haven't been able to shoot as much as I want, I would probably be trying something else.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I don't know the brand of ears I have because it has since worn off, but I paid like $30 from a website a few years ago, and they are like -35dB protection. No matter what I shoot, it sounds like a pop gun. Now, the problem with them is when someone wants to talk to me. All I see is lip movement unless I pull them away. They are full ear cups too, and don't hurt at all. I could wear them all day long.

jjhu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Were you there last weekend with your husband? If you were and you asked ther girls that were shooting in the lane next to you then that was me and my roommate. If I'm not who you were talking to then... :whistle:If I was the person you talked to the brand I have is Caldwell. Here's a link to what they look like: Caldwell® E-MAX™ Low Profile Hearing Protection

On there it says they are $44 but I got mine from Dunham's Sports for $25 or so. We have both the low profile and the regular size ones. I prefer the low profile because it is less bulk on my head. If you were the person I talked to like I said they work well, they have a knob that you can adjust the outside volume with. Also when someone shots there is a second of lag to hearing again, but for $25 that doesn't really bother me too much. Hope this helps.

Jen

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've chosen to wear just ear plugs for most of my shooting outings. I like that they're not obstructive, but I just don't think I'm getting the protection I need.

I wear the foamies. Most of them provide superior protection than cans.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Were you there last weekend with your husband? If you were and you asked ther girls that were shooting in the lane next to you then that was me and my roommate. If I'm not who you were talking to then... :whistle:If I was the person you talked to the brand I have is Caldwell. Here's a link to what they look like: Caldwell® E-MAX™ Low Profile Hearing Protection

On there it says they are $44 but I got mine from Dunham's Sports for $25 or so. We have both the low profile and the regular size ones. I prefer the low profile because it is less bulk on my head. If you were the person I talked to like I said they work well, they have a knob that you can adjust the outside volume with. Also when someone shots there is a second of lag to hearing again, but for $25 that doesn't really bother me too much. Hope this helps.

Jen

Jen, you rock! Yes, that was me. :) I checked out Dunham's online and there was nothing in that price range, so I didn't know where to look next. Thanks!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Whatever you select, be aware of the NRR ratios specified. Remember that the Decibel (db) is a logarithimic function, so a 3db increase in the Noise Reduction Ratio, in any manufacturers line, cuts the apparent noise in half. So, 1 or 2 db of extra NRR does represent a significant reduction of the total acoustic power. Its really even more complicated than that when the manufacturers start using weighting algorithims for measurements, and such, so compare NRRs within each manufacturers lineup, if possible. At any rate, if your ears ring after a range session, get better protection, don't wait! Hope this helps.:)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I generally wear Dillon electronic muffs over foam plugs. Foam plugs tend to have better NRR than muffs, however they don't do anything to reduce bone conduction noise. Muffs will reduce that as well. For eye protection use glasses that are ANSI Z87.1 rated. Most prescription glasses are not and could shatter on impact. You should also use frames that fit closely and have side shields. I had more than one piece of hot brass bounce off of a divider at the range and lodge between my face and my glasses before I learned that lesson. A ball cap helps prevent that, too.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    glasses

As to your safety over prescription question, yes, you can. You should look for wrap around safeties, preferabley with a lip across the top that eliminates a gap between the lens and your forehead. As stated above, a nice ballcap helps prevent bouncers from hitting you, and helps to keep the sun out of your eyes.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Whatever you select, be aware of the NRR ratios specified. Remember that the Decibel (db) is a logarithimic function, so a 3db increase in the Noise Reduction Ratio, in any manufacturers line, cuts the apparent noise in half. So, 1 or 2 db of extra NRR does represent a significant reduction of the total acoustic power. Its really even more complicated than that when the manufacturers start using weighting algorithims for measurements, and such, so compare NRRs within each manufacturers lineup, if possible. At any rate, if your ears ring after a range session, get better protection, don't wait! Hope this helps.:)

VERY helpful. I honestly really didn't know what that stuff meant. :)

I generally wear Dillon electronic muffs over foam plugs. Foam plugs tend to have better NRR than muffs, however they don't do anything to reduce bone conduction noise. Muffs will reduce that as well. For eye protection use glasses that are ANSI Z87.1 rated. Most prescription glasses are not and could shatter on impact. You should also use frames that fit closely and have side shields. I had more than one piece of hot brass bounce off of a divider at the range and lodge between my face and my glasses before I learned that lesson. A ball cap helps prevent that, too.

Yeah, every time I go to a range the range masters say my glasses are fine, but I had my doubts. Thanks for confirming. However, a ball cap will mess up my hair more than muffs...:( Now for a PINK INGO cap, I might make an exception. Do you think anyone is listening to my subtle suggestion? :D

As to your safety over prescription question, yes, you can. You should look for wrap around safeties, preferabley with a lip across the top that eliminates a gap between the lens and your forehead. As stated above, a nice ballcap helps prevent bouncers from hitting you, and helps to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Hmm...not sure I've seen many with a lip across the top, but that's a good point. Thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wear foam squeezy plugs UNDER cheap ear muffs. Especially when shooting indoors or under a roof.

As far as ear muffs messing up your hair... You can always wear them so that the head band is at the back and not on the top. Especially useful if you also want to wear a ball cap and don't want the head band pushing down on that center pin that ball caps have on top.

Just about the only time that I don't double-up on earpro is when we're only shooting .22s. And then, I ALWAYS wear one or the other. Unless shooting suppressed...

-J-

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Whatever you select, be aware of the NRR ratios specified. Remember that the Decibel (db) is a logarithimic function, so a 10dB increase in the Noise Reduction Ratio, in any manufacturers line, cuts the apparent noise in half.

fixed.

Electrical/Audio Engineer here...

3dB is a doubling/halving of power. dB=10log(P1/P2)

6dB is a doubling/halving of voltage. dB=20log(V1/V2)

10dB is an apparent doubling/halving of apparent loudness; this is a psychoacoustically tested and scientifically accepted number.

So, it takes twice as much amplifier power to increase the sound output by 3dB, but...

The human ear hears a 10dB increase (decrease) as twice (half) as loud.

Loudness: Definition from Answers.com

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    fixed.

Electrical/Audio Engineer here...

3dB is a doubling/halving of power. dB=10log(P1/P2)

6dB is a doubling/halving of voltage. dB=20log(V1/V2)

10dB is an apparent doubling/halving of apparent loudness; this is a psychoacoustically tested and scientifically accepted number.

So, it takes twice as much amplifier power to increase the sound output by 3dB, but...

The human ear hears a 10dB increase (decrease) as twice (half) as loud.

Loudness: Definition from Answers.com

Anyone else have a headache from trying to wrap your head around this? hehe

Next thing you know we'll be talking about absolute magnitude vs apparent magnitude when talking about star brightness...

Top Bottom