• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1966John

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    sellersburg
    Last spring they were logging most of the eastern half of the AHT. Even if they're done I'd go earlier in the year. Or later. Climbing those hills in "soft soil season" doesn't appeal to me.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Try this link!

For all of you folks that have hiked long day hikes, can you give any estimate as to the time it takes to hike per mile? I know this can vary depending on many factors, but I'm trying to grasp what an average distance per hour would be. I hiked some short trails in Canyonlands this past October, and one thing that shocked me was the amount of time the NPS printed as the amount of time the short trails would likely take. I did all the trails within half the time they printed/suggested. I'm one to just hike to check out new things. If there is an informational sign post, I might stop to read it, take some photos, and move on. My wife isn't an outdoors person at all, and when we take off to the Blue Ridge mountains later this year, I'm trying to find some hikes where I can leave early, hike for a bit, eat my packed lunch, and get back in the afternoon or early evening. She will likely be staying in the hotel/cabin just relaxing. Does anyone have any specific trails in the Blue Ridge or Smoky Mountains NP area they recommend, and if so, what was the length and how long did it take you to hike it round trip?

Late to this thread but the website "whiteblaze" is a great site for all things backpacking. The focus is on the Appalachian Trail. A few years back my wife and I were going to try what you described- Wife would drop me off- I would hike a section and then be picked up at some point. Maybe a night on the trail and then a night or 2 in some B&B that the wife would enjoy too. We never did it but I was looking in the Smoky Mountain area because of all the touristy places to stay. So, a great idea but I was just short on the execution of the whole plan. LOL !

Here is the link: WhiteBlaze - Appalachian Trail

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Is about the season...spring and fall is my season. ANyone been to the Adventure Hiking Trail the past couple years?

Last time I attempted to hike the AT solo I rolled an ankle about 1/2 way through. I've hiked most of the AT, just not all at once. I'm very partial to the AT and Wyandotte Woods / HCSF due to all of the caving I've done there.

My 2 cents - Get there ASAP to avoid the ticks!!!! Gorgeous area

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Read Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" Bill attempts an AT "thru-hike" with an old out-of-shape high school buddy...

For hiking in general- an entertaining book- if anyone else has read this I'm sure they will agree!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Late to this thread but the website "whiteblaze" is a great site for all things backpacking. The focus is on the Appalachian Trail. A few years back my wife and I were going to try what you described- Wife would drop me off- I would hike a section and then be picked up at some point. Maybe a night on the trail and then a night or 2 in some B&B that the wife would enjoy too. We never did it but I was looking in the Smoky Mountain area because of all the touristy places to stay. So, a great idea but I was just short on the execution of the whole plan.

Well, wanting to get into better weather, we decided to take a trip in April, which will be hit or miss in terms of weather. We will be heading to Gatlinburg area. There are a few condo type places in/near town (those near town are near a shuttle stop) with full kitchens. I get sick of eating out and spending tons of money on food. Goal for this trip is for me to take off early, as I'm an early riser anyway. Wife can do he usual sleep till 7AM, don't really get out of bed till 9AM. She will just be hanging out or taking some walks around the Arts and Crafts community/downtown Gatlinburg. She said she would be up to doing one hike with me one of the days, so I will pack two lunches that day. I'm really excited about this trip and really hope the weather clears up the end of April. Got some really good hikes planned for this trip. Thankfully GSMNP is only seven hours away, so it is fairly easy to go back if I need to. If rain is in the forecast daily, might cut the trip short.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Read Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" Bill attempts an AT "thru-hike" with an old out-of-shape high school buddy...

For hiking in general- an entertaining book- if anyone else has read this I'm sure they will agree!

+1 for Walk in the Woods. Funny story.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Don't forget about Hoosier National Forest. It's a great place for hiking and off trail camping - good mix of old ridge roads turned trail and harder trails with elevation changes.

I think you will be fine in April. Heck, I did Deam two weekends ago in the rain and am hitting it again this weekend. Just dress appropriately.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I plan on doing an overnighter in in either hoosier or morgan monroe along the Knobstone trail. I am just getting into hammock camping, so that is my motivation to go backpacking.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Don't forget about Hoosier National Forest. It's a great place for hiking and off trail camping - good mix of old ridge roads turned trail and harder trails with elevation changes. I think you will be fine in April. Heck, I did Deam two weekends ago in the rain and am hitting it again this weekend. Just dress appropriately.

If the weather clears up, I plan on doing some pre-hikes in the Hoosier Nat'l. Forest, some state parks, etc.. in March/early April. Would like to get a good idea of the time it takes for me to get from point A to point B on certain terrain. Also want to get out and use my new camera and GPS unit.

Top Bottom