• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I did the adventure hiking trail probably 10 years ago and it wasnt very good. I would be curious to know if they have improved it any. I would really like to do the knobstone, but always have trouble finding committed friends.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Did the Knob stone in 97. Since then my pack weight has come way down but my body weight has made up for that : (
    I've heard a out the Adventure Trail but never done it.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    The AHT is near Corydon and does a near constant climb/descent. Unlike the Knob there are few ridges which make it quite the challenge. Also making it a challenge is that there are and have been areas scarcely marked. Much of which is due to logging operations. Maps are available but you cannot trust the "blue" to mean an actual running stream or water source. There are three nice shelters along the trail but oddly spaced. Mile for mile this is by far the most challenging trail in the Hoosier state. PM me for not and great water drop locations.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Never heard of it. Where is it? Can someone provide a link to a website?

I'm an old backpacker (did part of the AT in the late 1970's) so old means I'm old, but also old in that I've been away from the sport for a couple decades and got back into it fairly recently. I'm gearing up with all new gear and planning a trip to hike across England in the summer of 2014 (I've got an ongoing thread about my gear testing here on INGO).

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    You are in my area. It runs through Harrison Crawford state forest and a short trek through cinnamon woods state park. The trail does not have a website. But u can contact the park office and they have always been good to me sending me maps and such.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm finally going to get out on some trails this year. Got my backpack for day trips, but not sure if it is big enough for overnight trips so might have to get another pack down the road. I actually ordered the bigger pack, but it was too big for what I needed and sent it back. My current pack holds a small first aid pack and two nylon lunch boxes (one for me, one for my wife if she ever goes). An in-law has been doing 10K+ hikes recently. Just started doing overnights a few months ago. Might consider a one or two night trip, but will definitely need a larger pack, light weight cookware, food storage items. Haven't camped for over 20 years!

Huntrdan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Columbus
    Harrison Crawford Adventure Trail

I have done the Knobstone and several other trails around the state. There are a lot of scenic places for a day hike in Indiana. If you can't find commited friends, do it alone. You may run into other solo hikers that have the same pace. I haven't been on it since they reopened the southern end back up after the tornado. I have seen pictures and wow has it ever changed. The dnr pretty much clear cut it.

Knobstone Trail in Indiana

Indiana Hiking | Indiana Hikes

Last edited:

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    The state has been logging in the area for the past ten years or so to my knowledge. It really is sad because it was and I suppose still the majority of the trail is a hidden gem. Call the Harrison Crawford office and ask them to mark the map prior to sending it to you. They will know the areas that have been logged the past few years. I hope to hit it this spring but depending on their marking I may go with the knobstone, I just cannot get over the section that runs along the Ohio river though. Not sure yet what I'll do. I plan on going solo. If you go during the week I would wager you will have the trail to yourself.

Harrison Crawford Adventure Trail

I have done the Knobstone and several other trails around the state. There are a lot of scenic places for a day hike in Indiana. If you can't find commited friends, do it alone. You may run into other solo hikers that have the same pace. I haven't been on it since they reopened the southern end back up after the tornado. I have seen pictures and wow has it ever changed. The dnr pretty much clear cut it.

Knobstone Trail in Indiana

Indiana Hiking | Indiana Hikes

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I did the adventure hiking trail probably 10 years ago and it wasnt very good. I would be curious to know if they have improved it any. I would really like to do the knobstone, but always have trouble finding committed friends.

Ive been wanting to do it myself but I heard it was closed half way thru the trail.

Looking to get into backpacking, any good spots to go for beginners?

I started at the red river gorge in kentucky. THe trails are heavily marked plus there's some "secret" trails that are really nice.

Now the AHT is heavily used by my friends as a day ride on MTB as 25 miles is easy in a half day trip. I would have to ask them as I know they rode this fall a few times on the AHT.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    The AHT is NOT a MTB trail. I ride a lot of very challenging trails and I hiked the AHT round trip 7 years in a row. There is no way anyone could MTB the trail. Possibly a few SHORT sections of the trail. It would be absolute misery walking along side of your bike with a few down hill rides and a few flats, they would be straight awesome but it is far from a MTB trail. I stand that there is no possible way anyone or group could bike it as a loop. There are nearby MTB trails and again some short sections you could ride if knowledge of the trail is correct and planning is good. Harry I thing your friends are messing with you man. Many many downfalls in path, countless. The horse trails parallel the AHT in many places and they are doable. The come near to shelters also and that would be a great way to go sometime.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    For all of you folks that have hiked long day hikes, can you give any estimate as to the time it takes to hike per mile? I know this can vary depending on many factors, but I'm trying to grasp what an average distance per hour would be. I hiked some short trails in Canyonlands this past October, and one thing that shocked me was the amount of time the NPS printed as the amount of time the short trails would likely take. I did all the trails within half the time they printed/suggested. I'm one to just hike to check out new things. If there is an informational sign post, I might stop to read it, take some photos, and move on. My wife isn't an outdoors person at all, and when we take off to the Blue Ridge mountains later this year, I'm trying to find some hikes where I can leave early, hike for a bit, eat my packed lunch, and get back in the afternoon or early evening. She will likely be staying in the hotel/cabin just relaxing. Does anyone have any specific trails in the Blue Ridge or Smoky Mountains NP area they recommend, and if so, what was the length and how long did it take you to hike it round trip?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For all of you folks that have hiked long day hikes, can you give any estimate as to the time it takes to hike per mile? I know this can vary depending on many factors, but I'm trying to grasp what an average distance per hour would be. I hiked some short trails in Canyonlands this past October, and one thing that shocked me was the amount of time the NPS printed as the amount of time the short trails would likely take. I did all the trails within half the time they printed/suggested. I'm one to just hike to check out new things. If there is an informational sign post, I might stop to read it, take some photos, and move on. My wife isn't an outdoors person at all, and when we take off to the Blue Ridge mountains later this year, I'm trying to find some hikes where I can leave early, hike for a bit, eat my packed lunch, and get back in the afternoon or early evening. She will likely be staying in the hotel/cabin just relaxing. Does anyone have any specific trails in the Blue Ridge or Smoky Mountains NP area they recommend, and if so, what was the length and how long did it take you to hike it round trip?

On level ground at near sea level (under 3-4k') with a moderate pack (35lbs) I hike about 3.5 miles per 55 minute hour (I rest 5-10 minutes an hour when hiking). I add about a half-hour per 1000' elevation gained. On rough terrain I generally hike about 2-2.5mph.

This is my observations of my hiking many hundreds of miles, and I've got short legs. On major hiking trails with serious hikers generally about 2/3rds of the people on trail pass me.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    It really depends on if you are stopping and smelling the roses or are trying to make time. Depending on my mood I hike between 2 and 4 mph.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    There are so many variables. If I am day hiking in say a flat-ish state park than I really move when I am moving but I like to stop and enjoy the places too. In typical back packing lands I think it is safe to say if you are loaded with pack and gear you will hike 3-4mph at the end of the day you could be down to 1-2mph. I don't take off on a 6-7mph sprint hike when I plan on doing 12-15 miles in one day. You have to figure in stops such as first breakfast, second breakfast, tea break, coffee break and that is typically me when I am with a group of people who don't really pack or if I am out for some peace and quiet I take more of a stroll. At that I travel 1-2mph.

Top Bottom