• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ok so its been a while....almost 20 yrs! Wow, everything looks alien! I need help picking a new setup. I used to shoot a Jennings Gale Force at 65 lbs. Aluminum shafts. It was a christmas gift from my parents when I was 15. The draw string is now broken and Imust have quit in the middle of setting up the overdraw because its not set up and I cant find the rest of the parts.

Im not sure where to begin selecting a new bow and arrows. I think if I can be about $5-600 into it Id be happy. Ive read a bit about how to select a bow and what brace height and riser and.......

Any recommendations or do I need to hit up a store and see what feels right? Is Gander Mountain or Bass Pro shops a good place to start? Is there a mom and pop archery shop worth going to around Indy? Thanks in advance!

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Go to a Pro shop, and stay away chain stores if ya can. There are several good shops around Indy. Where abouts are you or will you be at

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    A company that not as many people have heard of, but would fit your bill would be Quest. They were once Ross bows, but when they went out of business, G5 picked up their cams and built a whole new riser making quest bows. You can pick up a rogue ready to hunt bow package for around 500.
    They have a lifetime warranty on them and one heck of a smooth draw. I recently got myself their primal bow which is a dual cam. It is as smooth as a single with the speeds of a double, but cost a good amount more. Just food for thought. I work at gander, but would recommend checking out outdoorsman though. Good guys all around and they allow you to check out a bow before you buy. I like stoppin by when I find the time.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    "Cutting Edge" in Greensburg. @ 45 mile drive but worth it. I have a buddy in Greenwood who used to go to the outdoorsman but now drives here. bring your wallet to the outdoorsman$$$$$:twocents:

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    hey im the buddy in greenwood. cutting edge did me a great job. as far as a bow go's get what fits you best. at 5to$600 that should be no problem. dont be afraid to look on line. there are alot off turds out there that think they need a new bow every year.you can find some deals. always get it set up for you by a pro.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If a guy or gal buys a new bow every yr, or maybe 2 or 3..........who cares? It's their money.

If they shoot whatever bows they have well, then that's good enough. BTW I know folks who buy new bows often and shoot them VERY well.

Superturds they must be.

;)

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Went to the outdoorsman and Honey creek tackle on saturday. Man its been a while! My shoulder is killing me from drawing so many bows back! LOL! Im really digging the Bowtech Assassin but its just out of my budget. I may have to splurge! Outher than that I like the Quest Rogue and the PSE Brute also.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Look on eBay. I just bought a Matthews Ultra-Max for $245, and it was completely set up and ready to go. I just have to buy arrows and broadheads and get practicing. You could easily get a bare bow (used) for $300-400, and then spend another $100-150 to get it set up. As a matter of fact, you should look at the Matthews Craze in their Mission line. I believe you can find one new for $300-400. MSRP is $299, and it is an excellent bow.

Craze | Mission Archery

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Actually I didnt shoot any of them...yet. I was just doing a quick comparison of how these new bows draw and how they feel in the hand. My old Jennings Gale Force has nothing on these new bows! All the reviews online rave for the Assassin where they just say the rest Im looking at are just a good bow. Now I have to decide on looking at a used PSE Bow Madness. It is the complete setup: bow, release, arrows, broadheads, field tips and case for $575. The Assassin will probably be over $700. Do I buy the used, buy a lesser new or spend the extra on a nicer and wanted Assassin?

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Splurge on what you want. Better off going new for the lifetime warranties. Never know what you are getting into with a used bow. Certain Mathews for example will detonate if they were pressed incorrectly.

Top Bottom